Monday, April 15, 2013

Meatloaf

Not the singer Meatloaf.  I never met him.  Though I did like that one song.

I made meatloaf for dinner a few nights ago.  I ate with the kids who had soccer that night, while Hubby ate with the rest of them.

The next day, Turken and I had this conversation:

Me:  Would you like some leftover meatloaf for lunch?

Turken:  No.  I didn't like it.

Me:  I'm guessing you didn't even try it. 

Turken:  Yes, I did.  I liked the meat but not the loaf.

Me: 

I couldn't breathe, let alone talk, with all of the uncontrollable laughter I was doing.

Once calm, I called Hubby.

He had some 'splainin' to do.

The rest of the story:

At dinner, Turken continued to pepper Hubby with the typical questions a preschooler asks when he is presented something new, or not new but not offered all that often.  Things like, "Is that cheese on top?" and "What is that white stuff?"

Hubby became exasperated with the last "What is in meatloaf?" (mostly because he himself has no idea what is in a meatloaf) and answered, "There's meat and there's loaf.  Just eat it."

Aaaaaaand we have our answer.

While on the subject of meatloaf, if you ever make it, I have a tip for you.  While I love a good meatloaf, I rarely made it, seeing as how I didn't have an hour and a half to let it cook.  This time, I had the brilliant idea of cooking it in a different pan.


Introducing, the mini-loaf pan.  Delicious meatloaf takes only 35 minutes or so to cook.

You're welcome.

For Considerer, the recipe. 

2 pounds ground meat (This time I used a pound pork from our pigs and one pound of beef from my brother's cattle.)
2 eggs
bread crumbs- maybe a cup-I don't measure
1 pkg of dried onion/mushroom (I think) Lipton soup mix
ketchup - once again, I don't measure-maybe a cup

Use your hands to mix it all together and put it in the pan.

And that is why I don't have a food blog.

Have a lovely day!

26 comments:

  1. I love it! Your son's comment, I mean! Too funny! I'm not a fan of meatloaf, though. I used to be, but now? Not so much. Don't know what changed, but all of a sudden I can't eat it. ALthough what is the difference between eating that and a hamburger? Uh, basically nothing. But still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what annoys me about certain children. They love burgers. Why not meatloaf? Honestly, you're not helping my cause. They won't be allowed to read this. :)

      Delete
  2. Too funny!
    My crew eats it, but I use the old recipe from the Pillsbury Cookbook. No sauce, of course. All meatloaf is is "meat stretching," right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meat stretching at its finest. Oh, sauce would be the death of the meal as far as the kids are concerned.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I think your measurements make sense. How often do I follow a recipe exactly, anyway? (I would kind of like to know at what temperature you bake the meatloaf, though. Maybe it depends on the meat to loaf ratio?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! And you have now coined a new phrase to be used often at my house. Meat to loaf ratio has quite a ring to it. :)

      You mean the oven can be set at something other than 350?

      Delete
  4. That's such a great idea! I need to try making those little mini ones. Sounds yummy!

    Happy A to Z blogging.
    pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The minis worked great. Easy for individually freezing, too.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. LOVE the mini pan idea. Believe it or not, my meatloaf is a HUGE hit in the neighborhood. Kids actually want to come over and eat when I make it. The funny thing is, it's different every time. I just throw in whatever I have in the pantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the beauty of meatloaf. Just about anything can be made into a loaf.
      I don't understand why my kids don't love it. Oh well. Just means more for me.

      Delete
  6. What a delightful story to bring a smile to my Monday! While my husband loves meatloaf, I'm kinda with Turken - I prefer meat, preferably without the "loaf" stuff! :-) Those mini pans are indeed wonderful, fun for mini banana breads for lunchboxes and snacks too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it made you smile.
      My mom originally got the pan for me in order to make banana bread, since I make that almost weekly.

      Delete
  7. I have a mini loaf pan and use it all the time - BUT haven't used it for meatloaf, but I'm going to now!! You should have a cooking blog, with real pics of a messy kitchen and a baby on your hip. People would read it, relate to it and love it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They might, but I have found that cooking with the kids AND taking step-by-step photos is hard work. And has a tendency to make me forget things, like the onions cooking on the stove. Instead, I refer people to my friend at The Aums. She actually has an iVillage cooking show which shows her cooking with her kids, taking toys away and all.

      Delete
  8. I love this idea! I have not made meatloaf yet for my children, but the mini loaf pan? Genius. What child doesn't want their very own meatloaf? Also, I'll be sure to learn from your experience about the "meat" and the "loaf." Duly noted. And hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is cuter and more enjoyable in miniature.

      Delete
  9. This reminded me of one Christmas when I was a kid. I was standing at the sink washing dishes and talking to my best friend. She asked if I liked Meatloaf. I said yes, and she responded ... "I have an extra one. Hold on, I'll go get it" and ran off to leave me wondering why on earth they had meatloaf for Christmas and how she ended up with an "extra!" I had never heard of him before. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Not only was it extra, but it wasn't in the fridge! I'm sure you both had a good laugh about it once she came back with the music. :)

      Delete
  10. Stop loafing around and go make dinner.

    (love the mini loafs)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why thank you :) I do like a new recipe! Sounds really simple as well. I should also imagine it freezes pretty well. Hmmmmm the possibilities are endless!

    Turken's a card! And your hubby's comment is exactly the kind of thing I'd end up using on Niece or Neff if they were being silly about their food :D Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could not be easier, and yes, it does freeze quite well. Really, there isn't much the kid can say once you take the crazy train to incoherence.

      Delete
  12. Hello! Loved reading a few of your blog entries. Your kids are so cute. I'm sorry about your duck Donald. That's sad :( And yes the loaf isn't very good with the meat. LOL. That's such a cute story. Thanks for sharing. Happy a to z .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you so much for such kind words. And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. I really like Meatloaf, but it's been ages since having it. I like the idea of the mini loafs. Wish I knew how to cook ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, come on now. Meatloaf isn't rocket science. Get yourself into someone's kitchen and make some meatloaf for you and the homeowner!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!