Saturday, April 20, 2013

R Is for Rain

For my entire life I have been singing this song every time it rains at inopportune times:

Rain, rain, go away.
Come again another day.
If you don't, I don't care.
I'll pull down your underwear.

Point made with just a touch of nonsensical immaturity.

I recently discovered that those are not, in fact, the correct words.  It is supposed to be sung:

Rain, rain, go away,
Little Johnny wants to play.
Rain, rain, go away,
Come again another day.

I don't find that version nearly as enjoyable.  Sure, it makes more sense, but it's not nearly as much fun.

Either way, I am not singing it this week.  We have had four days of thick clouds and frequent bursts of downpours.  In my younger days, (last year) I would have been very unhappy with such weather.  My older and wiser self is embracing it.

I thought I'd write a new song.

Rain, rain, stay and play.
Pour on down all through the day.
When you do, fields do flood,
And soccer practices and soccer games and Boy Scout campouts get postponed.

Remember how I said our week would be the busiest of the year?  Not so much when soccer and camp gets cancelled.  Some practices and games have been a go, and the musical has taken up quite a bit of time, but overall, muuuuuuuch easier.

While I do feel badly for the people who were hit with the golf-ball sized hail the other day (just a couple of miles from our house (which caused every single window in Phoenix's classmate's house to be broken)) I'm not sad about the rain.

There's really only one thing about the rain causing me some anxiety.


 
 
Weeds and grass grow really fast.
 
And the battery on our lawnmower died.  I can't recharge it until the threat of rain ends and Hubby is home to help me tow the mower closer to the house. 
 
By the time those two things align, the kids will be playing hide-n-seek in the grass by merely kneeling down.  Shoot, Cuckoo won't even have to duck.
 
And what are the chances that the kids have picked up aaaaaall the bats, balls, Frisbees, shovels, and rackets to make my mowing uneventful?
 
Zero.   Zip.  Zilch.
 
And what are the chances that I won't accidentally run over a dead animal camouflaged by the tall grass?
 
Even smaller.
 
Can't wait.
 
Have a lovely day!

18 comments:

  1. Maybe it's time to get a couple of sheep to add to your menagerie? They'll take care of that grass for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except the people who owned the house before us tried their hand at raising sheep. They said that the entire time a sheep is alive, it is looking for a way to die. I don't want to add sheep to my long list of critters of which I must dispose.

      Delete
  2. Wait, YOU mow the grass?????? You constantly amaze me. When we got married, one of our vows was that we would NEVAH own a lawn mower. We broke that vow when the recession hit and had to scale back on expenses. Thank GAWD we had a kid old enough to take over that nasty chore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By mowing, I get several hours to myself without being able to hear all of the Moms! being screamed at me. Heck ya, I'm going to mow!

      Delete
  3. LOL I love your version of the song! I am surprised I never knew the correct lyrics. I only knew the "Rain, rain, go away. Come again some other day" I thought that was it in its entirety.

    The expressions on their faces in that pic are awesome! They even contrast perfectly. Glad to hear your week wasn't so hectic after all :) Good luck with the lawn-care! Don't loose a runt out there somewhere.

    Jak at The Cryton Chronicles & Dreams in the Shade of Ink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      They were such good sports. It was so windy and cold, but they went out to give the grass some perspective for me.

      More cancellations today, so I was able to get the grass mowed. No children were injured or lost. :)

      Delete
  4. My son learned the correct version of the song and now makes up his own but he does sound a little angry about it.
    Just today I was trash-talking our neighbors for mowing their lawn because it means we have to get out there now and do it. Our community flooded and my husband had to clear up the whole basement. Magically, all the stuff has boxed in the lawn mower so it can't get out. We'll have a jungle in our yard too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I always feel better when I have a "good" excuse for not mowing. I get to be lazy, but not feel too badly about it. Here on the farm, we don't have neighbors, so no one cares what our yard looks like. At the old house, not so much. When we were putting it up for sale, my neighbor friend made the comment, "They must be moving. They're actually doing something with the lawn." :)

      Delete
  5. I like Your versions of the song better...much more creative and fun! ;-) The kids are adorable! You do have your hands full, but sounds like you love it! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! For all of your nice words. I do love having my hands full.

      Delete
  6. Definitely some rain and fun going on at your house. So nice when it helps delay the dreaded chores too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good! I'm not the only one who is happy to see rain when it cancels outside practices and activities and forces everyone to be at home for the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your kids are so cute! At least there's that good side to rain. I used to play indoor soccer in a building with a leaky roof, and every time I wanted a night off, I used to hope like crazy it would rain so we didn't have to play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Ha! That's funny. Almost defeats the purpose of having an indoor field.
      We have an indoor field, but there are too many teams to simply move everyone inside. Only a couple get it each night, and only one of mine was "lucky" enough to get it.

      Delete
  9. Just hopped over to your blog from a link on the A to Z Challenge. Only read a bit so far but I'm loving it and looking forward to reading more. When I was a kid we used to sing ' Rain rain go away, come again on washing day' which my mother wasn't best pleased about!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!