Monday, April 22, 2013

Shiners, The Life of

Day One:

Child gets hit in the eye with a baseball when he walks right in front of the ball with which his biggest brother is playing.  The eye becomes swollen and a bit dark in color.




Day Two:

The swelling is gone, but the eye area becomes blacker and redder. 




Day Three:

Helloooooo Black Eye!  (The runny nose is completely unrelated.  I promise, I got the boy a Kleenex right after I took the photo.)  He was not happy about me taking his photo.  I had to sneek up on him.



Day Four:

Still black, but with a slight tint of green mixed in.  I only got photographic evidence because I promised him he could look at the photo if he just let me take one.  We've gone in public for the first time since the baseball episode, and everyone he sees asks how he hurt his eye.  He gives half-hearted answers.




Do not ask me why he is wearing a winter hat on the first day we don't even have to wear coats to go outside.  He had mittens on, too.  It's just to mess with me.  No hat when it snows, hat when it's 65 degrees.  He's trying to wear me down.  It's almost working.

Day Five:

Green and yellow become the prominent colors.  He's even less willing to get his daily photo taken. I may have bribed him with Easter candy.  When people ask him how it happened, he simply turns and walks away.



Day Six:

His eye is now vomit colored.  When he sees me taking out the camera, he yelled, "No, you cannot take a photo of my eye!!"  When someone asks how he did it, I can hear him cussing in his head.


Day Seven:

The eye is still greenish/yellowish.

The look he gave me said, "Don't even try it.  That camera won't work so well when it's in 10 pieces on the floor." 

When we leave the house, he keeps a constant scowl on his face, deterring any and all inquisitive adults.

Moral of the story:

If you don't want to talk to people or get your photo taken, don't walk in front of a baseball.

Have a lovely day!

19 comments:

  1. Aww, poor kiddie. It must be frustrating to have it constantly pointed out to you that you walked in front of a ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, he certainly was frustrated. I almost felt bad about taking his picture. Almost.

      Delete
  2. Awesome battle scar!!! Just make sure you teach him to say "you should see the other kid" when inquisitive adults can't seem to mind their own business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haaahaaa! He is so gosh darn cute...black eye and all! Great photos too!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's so cute. When I was about 8 I ran (full force) into a door frame and smacked the whole side of my face. I had a bruise from my forehead to my chin, when it turned colors everyone started calling me the Hulk and people kept asking what happened. I feel his pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch!!! That couldn't have been good. And being 8, people don't forgive rudeness like they do in a cute little 3 year old.

      Delete
  5. Why is it something as pretty as the colours of a bruise can only be obtained by something as painful as a whack from a baseball bat. Love your moral to the story, bet it doesn't wash with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, no. He didn't like the moral. They are fascinatingly pretty colors. Amazing our bodies create such things from trauma.

      Delete
  6. When Bo had one, he made me put a NEON band aid near his eye... and then people asked what happened and he played it up to get sympathy. I was cracking up every time someone asked him. He fell against a toy... but every time he told people the story got better and better. One person he even told them that "sissy hit me hard". LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you have to tell a story, better to lie and make someone else look bad to get some sympathy. :)

      Delete
  7. He's precious. And hey, let the kid have his hat - he has style! Nothing like a knitted out-of-season Beanie and a shiner to make you look tough and daredevillish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fine with the hat. I even think it takes his cuteness up a notch. I would just prefer that he also wear it in the winter. When it's cold.

      Delete
  8. That was an awesome shiner! And he looks so cute with it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really lets people know his personality right from the get-go.

      Delete
  9. I got one a few years ago from passing out and hitting my face on the way down. It was classy.

    Everywhere I went people stared and I couldn't believe how many people thought I was being abused. Saying that I fell into a wall, while true, didn't seem to convince anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's something I've always said of you. That Lisa, she is one classy broad. :)

      I once taught with a woman who got a horrible black eye when she was playing softball. She was at a store with her husband when a man came up, got right in her husband's face, and started berating him for doing that to his wife. She had to jump in and force the guy to listen to her.

      Delete
  10. Hahaha poor little guy (I suppose "awww" would have been more appropriate), not only does he get pegged by a ball in the eye, but he has you hounding him daily taking his picture. I can hear him swearing in his head from Day One ;-)

    I like the comment above with the advice of saying "You should see the other kid." Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!