Thursday, April 4, 2013

Alice the Camel Has...

We purchased our current home almost eight years ago, completely unfamiliar with the area in which it sits.  In those early days between buying it and moving in, we would take drives around to get a feel for the lay of the land.  During the drives, we would discuss our new house, the chickens that came with it, and what our life would be like once we moved in.

On one of these meandering trips, we asked the kids which animals they thought we should get for the farm.

One of the kids yelled from the backseat, "I want one of those!"

We looked out the window, and there, in a field a mile from our new home, was a zebra.

A flippin' zebra!

Just so happens we have an adventurous vet around the corner from us.  Over the years he has had all sorts of interesting animals.

These days, he has three of these:

While it may look like there is an obese panda in the background, it isn't.  I don't think.  I may have to go back to make sure.

How do you know which breed of camels they are?

Count the humps.

If a camel is bihumpal (Hubby's word), it is called a Bactrian Camel.

If it is unihumpal (my word), as these two are, it is called a...

Dromedary.

Bam!  D word done.

Have a lovely day!

16 comments:

  1. You have camels living around the corner? Wow, the most exotic thing around here is the homeless possum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you nearly had me fooled with your D letter. How cool to have some Dromedaries/Dromedarys/Drom(whatever is the plural)round the corner from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite interesting, especially when he gets new animals. As for the plural, we just say camels. :)

      Delete
  3. Didn't notice the obese panda until you mentioned! That vet has got some wild taste :)

    Akhil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't notice the obese panda until I posted it!

      Wild to say the least.

      Delete
  4. My son would love living around the corner from that vet. It's a great opportunity to see some different animals. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a free zoo when I don't feel like driving all the way downtown. Awesome really.

      Delete
  5. We saw camels, too, somewhere in our travels in the States. I don't remember where, but I DO know that we were NOT near a zoo! Again, it was by some farmer's land. Crazy!

    You mentioned on my blog that you and your husband like to go see off-the-beaten-path crazy, odd things. You will love the website roadsideamerica.com You just type in a city, and it will let you know if anything odd/funny is worthwhile seeing there. Or anything NEAR that city. We have planned many a trip around odd things, or should I say, to SEE odd things! Ha ha!

    Your house sounds wonderful, your children are ADORABLE! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to put that on my phone notes! It is exactly what we need. We usually have to rely on the atlas or signs. Thank you, thank you!

      Thank you. We think they're kinda cute, too.

      Delete
  6. Well played my friend well played!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had my eye out for that "D-word" too... very sneaky! :-) What fun to have unique critters so nearby. In these parts our closest neighbors are longhorns... the big bull escaped his pen once and had a great time tearing out the neighbor's bushes, they were flying everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to drive by and see new additions every once in while.
      I love the look of a longhorn. We saw them once in a trip out west. I'd have been scared to death to have one loose in the yard, though!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!