Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Unexpected, Unlooked-for, and Unusual

Unexpected

I have another nephew!  No, it's not "I didn't know I was pregnant" unexpected, but unexpected nonetheless.  His mom was scheduled to have a C-section later this month.  He decided Sunday was a much better day to be born.

With his two siblings, I was in the hospital within hours of their being born.  Unfortunately, in the five and a half years since then, my kids have grown and I added two more kids to our family.  I can't just jump and drive to Louisville any ol' time I want.

Good news, though.  Giant just happens to have a soccer tournament in Louisville this weekend.  On Saturday afternoon, I'll be holding this precious little bundle.



I can't wait.

Unlooked-for

Beauty can be found in the oddest of places.  We just need to slow down and find it.

Look for the unlooked-for.  I'm guessing, if you do, you'll be surprised.




Unusual

My mom knew how to mess with us kids.  You've heard about her lying.  You've heard about her pranks.  You haven't heard about the heart-stopping jumping.

Picture it.  An innocent little girl leaves her room to go help her mom in the kitchen*.  Except her mom isn't in the kitchen.  She's hiding around the corner from the little girl's room, patiently waiting for the girl to walk her way.  As the girl comes around the corner, the mother jumps out of hiding, yelling, "Boo!"  The girl screams.  The mom laughs. 

This was my childhood.

Once I got over the original fright, and my mom stopped chanting, "I got you!" we would laugh.  And within a week, when she least expected it, I would get her back.

It was our thing.  We grudgingly gave it up a few years ago when she had to have a heart stent put in.  I am not going to be the one forever known as The One Who Gave Mom a Heart Attack.

As a mom myself, I have continued this unusual family activity with my own kids.

Just this morning, I heard Cuckoo holler for me and run to find me.  I immediately jumped up to hide around the corner.  Turken saw me, so I gave him the universal "Shh" sign.  He got a glint in his eye and a grin on his face, excited to see how it would all go down.  He knew what was coming.

As Cuckoo rounded the bend, I jumped out and yelled, "Boo!"  He got that terrified look on his face and screamed for a fraction of a second.   I held my breath until he figured it out and started laughing.  Then all three of us laughed together.

He'll try to get me back soon.  Lucky for me, he's only three.  I'll just have to pretend I'm scared.

It's the big kids I have to watch out for.  They're getting pretty good at it.

Have a lovely day!

*OK.  That's a lie.  I never left my room to willingly help my mom in the kitchen.  I was probably going to the kitchen just to be sullen and annoyed in her presence.  I was a bit of a pain as a preteen.

21 comments:

  1. What a little cutie! Congratulations on the new family member!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely post, but the best part is your admission of true motivation for going in the kitchen. :) Thanks for being real with us. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious baby. How amazing they are still using the same baby blankets in the hospitals as they did in the dark ages when I delivered my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed the same thing. Why change a good thing? But it is astounding that not one hospital in all of the US uses anything besides that blanket.

      Delete
  4. Oh my word that is how my house is ALL THE TIME. Only it is C jumping out to scare the day~lights out of us. Only 1 person likes it, a few tolerate it and 1 HATES it. Because C is a mean brother, some times, he will pick out the one who hates it jumping out at him all~the~time. Daily.
    I'm sending him to your house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet! New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new nephew looks gorgeous. Hope he's less icky all over when you meet him ;)

    The jumping thing sounds fun when done in good humour all round. I've experienced both ways. With humour is better

    (Love the way you can't even *begin* to not be totally honest, so have a teeny-weeny qualifier to your story so that integrity's served) XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten about the eye smear of medicine until I saw this. As a C-section baby, I'm sure he looks lovely by now.

      Always in humor, for sure.

      :) I cannot tell a lie.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations Auntie!! Just don't scare the new Mom or she might drop the baby!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two "Awwwwwwwwws" and one LMAO (I did that to my boys when they were younger too!) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good. I was a bit worried it was only my family who did such things. :)

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the new addtiion! Being an aunt is so much fun and holding a newborn is the best!

    SIce I only started reading your blog a few months ago, I had no idea your mom was such a prankster That's actually pretty cool, as she clearly taught you to enjoy life and not take things too seriously. I love that you're passing it along to your kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love spoiling my nieces and nephews. Cuddling a newborn has to be one of the best things in the world to do.

      She most certainly does have a fun attitude. I got my loud, obnoxious laugh from her.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations! I would love to be an aunt someday.
    We also scare each other in our house. I used to be the only one who did it but now that my son is 3 he can actually get me pretty good. Happy to see it doesn't leave any lasting scars :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yay! Another mom who enjoys scaring her child! No serious scars, at least. :)

      Delete
  11. He is adorable!! what a bundle of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on being an Auntie again! It is great that things lined up to where you will be able to see the newborn. Took me a moment to figure out what "Giant" meant lol

    You can find beauty most anywhere, but many people are too "busy" to ever notice. We miss so much.

    Ahhh yes... I guess the stent would put the kibosh on scaring your mother. :( I like hearing your family does these things together. Getting one another back after being scared. Sooooo what you want to do is get some fake Halloween blood... and a plastic cleaver... eh... just be glad I'm not part of the family! lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!