Wednesday, April 17, 2013

O Is For Overcommitted and Overwhelmed

At our Family Schedule Meeting on Sunday, I told the kids to be prepared for the busiest week of the entire year.  Holy Too Much to Do, Batman!

We're busy?  Oh, how original.  Because no one else is, I'm sure.  I don't like getting into the "You think you're busy?  Listen to what I have to do..." competition that many get drawn into, including me sometimes.  Particularly when someone else starts it, gets all snotty about it, and I want to make a point.  Because I'm mature like that.

I won't go into the details about our busyness.

We'll just leave it at soccermiddleschoolmusicalboyscoutsHubby'smeetingsschoolprojectsfarmchores is a tad much.

As I've told you before, I think of awesome ideas, then forget them before I get to a computer or even pen and paper.  This is one of those times.  I had a fabulously funny segue between the above mundane and the below barely interesting, but I can't remember what it was. 

We'll just have to go with a jolting change of direction.

I don't know if you know this, but it is a rule of nature that our farm gets some sort of plague every year.  Be it thousands of wolf spiders or millions of lady bug-looking beetles, something will hit us in droves.

This week, our first plague hit.  Phoenix came inside and said we had tons of bees covering the outside of our house.  Knowing the boy tends to get worked up about small things, I asked for clarification.

Well, they may be flies, but there are tons of them all over both sides of the house.

Confident they were flies, and just a handful of them, I went to take a look.

 
 
 


Turns out, he was mostly right.

After some investigative work (i.e. calling my mommy and daddy) I came to the conclusion that we had some sort of dead animal in the gutters.  Based on the number of flies, I would put money on the idea that a coyote somehow got on top of my house and died.

Fortunately, I never had to find out.

Before Hubby could get home and drag out the 30 foot ladder, we had a big storm.  Lots of rain must have washed away most of the remains.  The flies are almost gone.  I don't know where the animal bones are, as I haven't looked for them. 

Like I said, I've been busy.  Ain't nobody got time for that.

I promise, the rest of the letter posts will be terribly witty and full of photos and fun.

Best stuff you've ever read. 

I promise.

Don't count on it.

Have a lovely day!

22 comments:

  1. There ain't NEVAH a good time for a dead critter!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yuck yuck yuck! That's a LOT of flies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the flies have dissipated. (I still think your wolf spider plague was the worst.)

    Hang in there this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The spiders were beyond horrible.
      Thank you! It's already easier. We've had storms for two days straight, so all soccer practices have been cancelled.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure glad I read this first thing in the morning; kind of sets the tone for the rest of my day. Yuck! I will now be on the lookout for BUGS!!! Thanks! And I won't even THINK about what kind of dead animal would be on your rough/gutter. No. My mind is not going there. Bird? Dropped mouse from bird? STOP!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about a squirrel? Or bat?
      You're welcome.
      :)

      Delete
  5. Ahhhh Death Flies... we've got them again this week. The smell in the house is making me gag. Stupid animals the get into the space under the house or under the sink eat the poison and die. Why can't they die elsewhere?
    But most importantly do you often get coyotes on the roof? Is that normal? how do they even get up there? jump? climb? climb what? i will say when it is HOT {supposed to be 90 today} the animal rots faster so the flies are gone faster. Fun Fact for you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't put anything past those blasted coyotes. If they can get a 300 pound pig out of a pen that doesn't have any holes, they can get on top of my house. :)
      We had the opposite problem. All those animals that died over the winter were frozen. With spring comes the great stinky thaw, accompanied by stench and flies. Good times.
      So glad it's oppressively hot for you. :)

      Delete
  6. Aw bless you! Hope you find some time for YOU!

    I liked the pics though - I bet no-one else in your alphabet challenge will have photos of their fly-infested house. Or maybe one of your boys is the new Moses and this is their trial run...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they sleep, I get a bit of me time.

      Ha! Can't say I've seen any bugs of any kind hopping around the challengers. Don't think I wasn't contemplating the whole Moses angle. :)

      Delete
  7. It may be a seasonal thing with the flies, we tend to have that happen here about once a year for about two weeks more or less, when suddenly they are swarming the lights outside, the doors, and of course they get inside and flies are so nasty dirty, leaving fly specks everywhere, not to mention driving my cats "buggy" as they leap and swat and bounce off walls trying to catch them all. Then, just as suddenly as they came, they disappear. Maybe you're on to something with the plague theory! I hear you on overwhelmed too, it's the story of my life! I have learned to be very careful about committing myself (or perhaps I should be) but no matter how hard I try I just can't keep up with things like I did twenty years ago, and it BUGS me! :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd rather have a dead animal than these things coming back every year.
      I tell people No all the time, and still we're busy. I think it has something to do with having 6 kids. :)

      Delete
  8. Holy crap! If I came out to find that many flies on the side of my house, I'd think I'd somehow ended up in a horror film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked for the cameras, hoping I was getting Punk'd.

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness! I don't think that I have ever seen something like that! And I'm fine with that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes that would creep me out! Even more so that Wolf Spider crap. Hell to the No! Spiders are not my thing. I do have odd moments where I don't keeeeel them on site... thinking I am being all generous and stuff, but things like this? Nope. Kill them all lol

    I've never seen a coyote on a roof... you need to get a pic of one!

    Hope you are able to crush your schedule and get everything you have going on done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain has taken care of the schedule for me. I'm nice and relaxed. :)

      I'll be sure to keep my camera handy, just in case. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!