Monday, April 20, 2015

Quick Meals

Our evenings can sometimes be a little out of hand. With 5 kids each playing a sport, it's going to happen. We do not like to eat out very often, mostly because my kids eat a mountain of food and would put us in the poor house if we ate out often, so I have to be ready to feed them at odd times and with little time.

Of course the best way to deal with this is to have meals or partial meals in the freezer, ready to be whipped out and heated up.

That doesn't happen too often around here, partly because my kids eat a mountain of food. I don't have pots and pans big enough to double a recipe.

Next best thing is to make the meal while I'm home during the day, stick it in the fridge, and heat it up when we're ready to eat it that night. (or have it in the crockpot)

That happens sometimes, but not always.

Basically, I stink at planning ahead. Planning ahead means taking the meat out of the freezer the day before, and my day-to-day brain doesn't remember to do it.

So, what do I feed my family?

Breakfast is an easy and popular choice. Pancakes, french toast, and eggs are very quick and easy.

Spaghetti falls into the easy and popular category as well. Too bad we can't have that 5 nights a week.

Chicken Caesar wraps are not only easy (especially if the chicken is precooked) but they are also very transportable. I sometimes make these when we have to eat dinner at the park between games.

But the fastest, easiest, and (almost) most popular meal for us is Campers' Casserole.

Slice up some smoked sausage and throw it into a hot pan. Once it's done (2 minutes tops) throw in some (drained) canned green beans and (drained) canned potatoes. Have some brown rice or bread and some fruit on the side and dinner is done. It takes 5 minutes, tops.

We only have 6 jars of green beans from the garden this year. All 6 of them were earmarked for Campers' Casserole. Six of the jars of potatoes were at the ready as well.

Does your family (or you) have a favorite meal that is super quick and popular? I'm always on the lookout for more!

Have a lovely day!

7 comments:

  1. I was SO with you until I realized your canned veggies were straight outta the garden. Mine would be off the store shelves so I doubt my Campers' Casserole would be much of a hit. My go to quickie meal is Sloppy Joe's. Not an original. However, if you can remember to thaw out pork ribs in advance, pop them in the crock pot and cover them with a jar of Bone Suckin' BBQ Sauce and cook on low all day. My family loves that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! You're still with me! We ate this meal WAY before I canned anything. Kids still love it. Give it a try.

      I have never made ribs in a crock pot! We have gobs of them in the freezer, but I rarely make them, because they take so long to make properly. I will most certainly try this!

      Delete
  2. Canned potatoes are one of my favorite things. I don't know what it is about those things.

    Used to eat a lot of breakfast for dinner. :-) Pancakes: the glorious pancake! Am always shocked when people are surprised about it. Me, I'll eat pancakes for dinner and roast beef hash for breakfast. It's all good!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy pre-made pizza dough at the food store. Canned sauce and shredded cheese. Voila - pizza

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fritos are always good (for the get in too late to prepare a dinner)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. pre-made pizza dough is a good one in this household too. Cereal is the fastest meal we throw together around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I have my act together, I will spend a Sunday afternoon browning many pounds of ground beef and measuring 2 cup portions into freezer bags. I trim the ooky stuff off of many pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut them into bite sized pieces, and bake them with a can of cream of chicken soup poured over the top, then do the same with the freezer bags. Recipe ready and makes throwing dinner together much quicker and easier.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!