Saturday, August 17, 2013

Ten Things of Thankful, Week 11

Consoling a friend through the loss of her baby does not a good week make.  (Scroll down to my last post for the details.) Yet, somehow, there were some really wonderful things, too. 

Funny how Life, which can throw us down and make us crumble in despair, is also the same Life that will help pull us out of our overwhelming grief and back into the world of smiles and laughter.

Onward...

Uno.  I am thankful for the prayers I have received this week.  So many people offered their well wishes, consolations, and prayers, and I am so grateful for them.  I am especially grateful, though, for the prayers offered for my friend.  They are an amazing family.  In their sorrow, they are thanking God for the gift of Isabel, and trusting Him to help them through.  Eventually, they will be OK.

Dos.  I am thankful for good friends who will do anything for me, even when I'm extremely rude.  I got the text from my friend to come to the hospital while I was sitting in the kindergarten pick-up line.  A Bible study friend was in her car two ahead of mine, picking up her daughter.  I actually followed her home (a 2 minute drive) and begged for help before she managed to get a foot out of her car door.  She very graciously watched both Cuckoo and Turken for almost three hours for me while I went to hold Isabel.

Tres.  I am thankful for the Wakefield Doctrine.  Looks like I'm finally starting to understand all of Clark's (seemingly) endless rambling about it.  I have really noticed through the ups and low, low, lows of this week why I was behaving/thinking the way I was.  At one point, when I uncharacteristically couldn't force myself to do or say anything but think, a thought went zipping through my head. "I guess a tragedy can turn even a hard-core scott into a clark." 

Cuatro.  I am thankful for Phoenix's wonderful, team-oriented attitude on the soccer field, and his ever-present ability to stay positive and hard-working.   I can finally spill the reason for last week's hatred of soccer.  Last week were tryouts for the high school soccer team.  Phoenix came home each night thrilled to bits, saying he was playing well, making lots of assists, and having fun.  He is not a kid who tries to shine on the field, but does all he can to make his team shine.  He will NEVER take a shot if there is a teammate with a better one.  He will pass the ball and let the other kid have it.  He knew there were several kids who were on the bubble to make the team, so during their tryout games, he passed the ball to them to give them the chance to score. 

Unfortunately, when there are 65 kids trying out, his type of team-playing didn't get noticed.  While all those boys he was passing to made the team, Phoenix did not.  He was absolutely devastated.  All the players were mad, the parents were mad, and his former coaches were mad.  We were getting texts and calls all night long.  (I'll get to his positive attitude and hard-work in the next point.)

Cinco.  I am thankful for coaches who listen and are willing to correct mistakes.   On suggestions from parents with kids who have played on the high school team, I talked to the coach.  At one point I said, "I am his mom, and I do not expect you to listen to me.  Please talk to someone else.  I don't care who, just talk to someone."  Later that night, the coach called.  It seems he did make some calls, because he said Phoenix could play with the team as manager.  When I told Phoenix, he immediately felt better.  He was thrilled to bits to simply be on the field, even if he wasn't on the team.

This week, he has gone to every practice.  He's worked his tail off, to the point where other kids were chiding him, saying, "You don't even have to be here to run these three miles.  I certainly wouldn't if I wasn't on the team."

On Thursday after practice, all three coaches pulled Phoenix aside to tell him they were happy with what they saw from him, and they were offering him a spot on the team.

Commence celebrations.

Seis.  I am thankful for our little farm.   It makes me beyond excited to be able to feed my family right from our own land.  One day this week, we had a meal consisting of potatoes with onions and bacon, beef roast, and green beans.  Every bit of it was from our land. (We traded some pork products for some of my brother's beef products.  He raises the cattle.)  I was over the moon about it.

Siete.  I am thankful for kids who don't mind jumping in to help.  Gardens wait for no woman, so of course there was plenty to can this week, too.   Giant didn't even bat an eye when, an hour before practice, I asked him to start snapping beans.  Even when he saw the five-gallon bucket of beans that needed done, he jumped right in without complaint.

Two nights later, I had 45 minutes to get tomatoes into jars.  Star actually offered to help, and became Master of Hot Water/Cold Water Tomato Skin Remover.  We got them done with two minutes to spare. 

Ocho.  (If you just thought of the movie "Dodgeball" and said, "ESPN the Ocho", you are my new favorite reader.)  I am thankful for COW, specifically his bravery when dealing with mice.  We're in the country and we don't have cats.  Ergo, we get mice every once in a while.  It is COW's job to dispose of them.  I cannot, will not, touch them.  Yes, I will drag a dead pig by its hind leg, but you can't make me get a mouse out of a trap.  Not gonna do it. 

Nueve.  I am thankful for the occasional dinner date with COW.  We have barely seen each other for a couple of weeks now, so a dinner out tonight was a special treat.  The service was terribly slow, for which I was extremely grateful, seeing as how we had to go home when dinner was over.

Diez.    I am thankful for perfectly perfect days at the park with a friend.   Sun + temperature of 75 degrees + big playground + hiking trail with bridges + fun friends + one jumping bug = perfection.  We had a gorgeous afternoon.  The kids ran and giggled, the moms talked and laughed the best kind of "bend at the waist, can't breathe, just might pee" laughter.  It was the medicine I needed today.

You can't even believe how much hilarity can come with the discovery of one not-so-little bug.  The shirt was completely coincidental.
While you are living your life and being thankful, please continue to pray for my friend, so that one day soon she and her husband will be able to do the same.

Link up and have a lovely day!

Welcome to our new co-host, Dyanne!


Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

66 comments:

  1. Some wonderful thankfuls, that help to alleviate the sorrows - I'll be continuing my prayers for sweet Isabel's family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was certainly some wonderfuls this week. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. AMO la lista con los números de España - muy impresionante.

    Y yo no podía soportar la idea de dejar de visitar aquí para la lista (que es increíble) y para dejarle un poco, comentario furtivo.

    Gracias por su lista, su actitud, su amistad. Voy a echar de menos.

    Tener una buena semana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have got to be kidding me.

      Did you forget that I'm from the US? We are very full of ourselves and believe everyone should speak English so we don't have to learn a second language.

      ARG, I'm off to find a translator. You are lucky you are off on a beautiful holiday right now.

      Delete
    2. do they speak English in What?

      (sorry, that as much Samuel Jackson as is permitted for Saturday morning use!)

      Delete
    3. Thank you for showing some restraint. :)

      Delete
    4. Obviously, you've been watching too much Dora the Explorer.

      Delete
    5. Dora hasn't been on in years! The kids all take Spanish in school, and there is sometimes discussions about it. Cuckoo will sometimes speak unintelligibly, and when asked what he said, he replies, "I was speaking Spanish." Unfortunately, I only know how to count to 10.

      Delete
    6. OK, I used an online translator. Thanks for stopping by before you headed out on your ferry.

      You're welcome.

      I'm going to miss you while you're gone!

      Delete
    7. *riendo tan fuerte* Usted pensó que yo podría hacer eso sin un traductor? No se olvide, yo soy descendiente del Imperio - si necesito a alguien que me entiende, me habla despacio y con más fuerza. Hasta pronto xXx

      Delete
    8. You are on vacation, yet take the time to torture me with Spanish?!?! :)

      Ah, I'll be back, once I figure out what you just said.

      Despite the torture, I hope you are having a lovely holiday.

      Delete
    9. ¡Por supuesto! ¿Qué más tengo que hacer? Estoy en twitter (donde no está) y he estado totalmente centrada en la familia, aparte de dejarme algunos blogs furtivos aquí y allí, así que no me siento completamente desconectado.

      De todos modos, lo inició.

      Delete
  3. I am truly so sorry for your friend's loss and please know that I am keeping her and her family in my thoughts and prayers. I love the positive note you ended this on though and sometimes it really is the simplest things that do put a smile on our face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning

    ..not to bad (timewise) for me for a Saturday morning... I trust our Mrs. Rogers is enjoying the ferry ride to the Isle of Wight at the moment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully she didn't get on the wong ferry. (I have been wanting to do that joke since she told us she was going.)

      Delete
    2. lol

      (and we both know our Mz Considerer will be totally reading these Comments when she has access to the blogosphere)

      Delete
  5. I am thankful you didn't snap a pic of me flipping out over the bug. :) The kids told Matt. Praying for you and Isabel's family this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could have gotten the video camera on fast enough, it would be posted right here. :)

      Did you tell Matt the entire story, or do I need to? Emphasize the fact you made fun of your kids for wigging out about the bug hurting the baby.

      Thank you so much for your prayers.

      Delete
  6. I love to read your Thankful posts. I makes me pause and think of the things to be thankful for. Sounds like you needed that fun time in the park AND your dinner date.

    Still thinking of your friend and her loss. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad. I like to write my Thankful posts. :)

      The park and dinner were a great way to spend the day and evening. A little reprieve before the funeral this morning.

      Thank you.

      Delete
  7. I am so glad they let Phoenix on the team! Happy Ending.
    # Seis - love it.
    No cats?? Why on earth not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too!

      Me, too!

      Because our dog doesn't like to share the yard. We used to have cats (they came with the house) but Roy the Wonderdog scared them all away. Or, in the instance of one unfortunate cat, killed it. Roy is getting up there in years, and as soon as he is unable to chase a cat, we'll be getting some.

      Delete
    2. When Roy heads off to the happy hunting grounds, I will mail you Pete.

      Delete
    3. Will Pete be happy to live outside? Only outside animals for this family!

      Delete
    4. No, he's scared of the outside. I will mail you Fletcher.

      Delete
  8. You are blessed indeed.

    Have a fabulous weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got a warm fuzzy glow when I read that Phoenix was allowed on the team, what a happy ending for him. Your time in the park and your dinner date were just what you needed. A candle still burns here for baby Isobel, and praying that God gives your friends the strength to get through this sad time x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is so happy for him. Every time we turn around, someone else is telling us so.

      I really did need the Friday activities.

      There is no doubt that my friend will be happy to know about the candle burning for Isabel. Thank you.

      Delete
  10. Again and again as I read your blog I admire how much you all work together as a family, the kids help out, and you support each other through thick and thin. You are an amazing Mom, Christine, and your kids will bless you for all that you are teaching them about life and family when they are grown and have their own! I'm delighted that Phoenix's willingness to start in the humble manager spot paid off and he earned his rightful place on the team! My prayers will most definitely be with your friend and her family. Prayers bring healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Josie, thank you for those kind words. When in the thick of parenting, it's hard to know if you're doing it right. Your encouragement means a lot.

      I was very proud of the way Phoenix handled the soccer situation.

      Thank you. I know my friend and her family appreciate all the prayers being said for them.

      Delete
  11. So glad Phoenix made the team. I am praying for you too. I know it is hard for you to watch a friend grieve. I pray for her too. Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed reading your list this week. I love the pic of your son and the bug. Sweet and icky all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too!

      Thank you for the prayers, for both of us.

      That bug caused all sorts of delight. We had to get a photo of it, and Turken was the only person who would oblige.

      Delete
  12. So glad to read your list, and glad you could still find ten things to be thankful for, in spite of your crummy (putting it mildly) start to your week. I know you know I've been praying for you and for sweet Isabel's family, but if there is anything else I can do please let me know. You are an amazing friend and I know Isabel's family is blessed beyond measure to have you there to help support them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the prayers and the offers of help. I shall let you know if I need anything, like a last second babysitter. :)

      Delete
  13. Congratulations Pheonix...I will most definitely keep Isabel's family in my thoughts...my condolences to all who know her...so sorry...glad the week had a redeemable side for you all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall pass your message on to Phoenix. Thanks!

      Thank you...I know she appreciates it.

      I really needed the good things that happened Thursday and Friday. Thank you.

      Delete
  14. I hadn't read Isabel's story until now, and my heart is heavy for your friend and her family. I know what a 2 pound, 8 ounce baby looks like, and I could put myself in that hospital room (though I have never lost a child, so I can only imagine the intense feelings). You are right; most concerns seem inconsequential when faced with life and death situations. I will keep everyone involved in my thoughts and prayers.

    Even though other concerns might not be so important in the grand scheme of things, that doesn't mean we can't celebrate happy endings, so congratulations to Phoenix. What a great ending to the story! I'm so glad good attitude and hard work paid off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Aren't those tiny babies so, so cute?

      Thanks you for the prayers and the congrats. I shall pass them along.

      Delete
  15. what an awesome list:) I loved how you did Spanish numbering this time. you refer to your hubby has cow? LOL:) Have a great wknd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Ha! As for my husband's name, I got tired of calling him Hubby. I'm not a fan of the word, so I did the same thing I did for the kids. He was to pick his blog name out of the chicken catalogue. As a joke, he said he just wanted to be called "Cock of the Walk". C.O.W. for short, but the periods are a pain to type, so COW it is.

      Thanks, and you, too!

      Delete
  16. I'm from the Ozarks, so I will say Wun: very, very glad that Phoenix made the soccer team. And that the coaches were willing to listen to others and give him a chance to prove himself. Too: Mouse traps are disposable. No one in their right mind empties and re-uses them. Thuree: We had a lovely date night this week, too. For: Ew, ew, ew! Creepy bug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! 1. I have never, ever seen a coach change his mind once a cut was made, so I was extra appreciative. 2. Yeah, COW reuses them. Disgusting. 3. Yay for date nights! 4. It really wasn't that creepy. Just a leaf with legs, really.

      Delete
  17. I am praying for your friends, but I'm glad you can find so much to be thankful for. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There is always something to be thankful for, even in horrible circumstances.

      Delete
  18. When I see kids helping out, it warms my heart too My 3 year old nieces recently learned to fold clothes and it is heartwarming!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love helpful kids! Ah, I loved it when my kids first tried to "help" fold. Adorable. Hopefully, you niece actually is a bit helpful. :)

      Delete
  19. damn! my laptop at work is clearly acting up!

    (I left a Comment thanking you about #3 and it's not there! that's not right! lol and I was being totally too clever... with my response about seemingly.... oh well)

    Thanks Christine! and I am grateful that you (and the other co-hostini) are here and keeping everyone occupied and engaged and such...that is perhaps that most exceptional facet of this here bloghop here... the sense of community and (from that) the on-going conversation! (as a scottian female) you are rather awfully good at that...

    hey! since you have been such a good co-blogger this weekend let me offer this in return: a scott, when they encounter a 'social environment' you know, a party or a meeting or a barbecue or a blog hop or anything involving more than 1 other person...will always go up to everyone in 'the room'. Meet everyone...if for only a moment, a quick hello! It is (one of the ) ways to spot a scott....'working the room' very cool to see!

    gotta go....Doctrine Video Brunch in about 5 minutes (9:15 am EDT til about 10 or so join us if you have a minute and google hangout on your computer!

    (of course, there's a reason that you guys do this... the working the room. WIll tell you about it if you are curious)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, man...I'm sure that comment was very clever and seemingly endless. :)

      (As I read your comment, your voice is now in my head. Especially the "this here bloghop here". You said it in the video, and I about flipped.)

      Going around meeting/talking is certainly something I do in every social situation. I flit all around the room, whether I am the host or not.

      Hope the video brunch went well. I was at a soccer game at the time.

      I'm going to guess...We work the room because we're "predators" and we are getting a feel for everyone and where we fit.

      Delete
  20. We've sadly had two (yes, two) relatives lose babies in the recent past. Good thoughts and prayers go out to your friends (and to you as you stand by them) as they move through this period of their lives. Best to all of you. I'd say having friends who can be there through these kinds of trials is a definite thing to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your prayers. For both of us.

      Delete
  21. I just read the tragedy so had a hard time transitioning here but love the perfectly perfect days at the park. And while I know that the bug is awesome and amazing, I'm also freaking out a little bit about how large it is.
    Also. I'm glad that you were able to go to your friend's hospital room and that you found a mom to help you out in the carpool line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine it would be. I had a few days to transition and had a hard time.

      Ah, it's just a leaf with legs. No big deal. (And I say that as someone who didn't actually touch it.)

      I am, too. Thanks.

      Delete
  22. Evening. I'm... you know... me, but I can't lie and say I didn't see the post you are referencing. I was eating dinner with a friend and reading the one line made me kind of.. instantly close it [tab] out, and the rest of the week got pretty crazy. I'll be going backwards, but I read enough in that one line, and your mention above (and comments below) to get the gist and I'm extremely sorry for the family's (and everyone involved) loss. I'm not exactly good at the praying thing, but I feel my practice is about the same and will do so.

    Not exactly easy to go from that to the rest, but I am really glad Phoenix got on the team. I can imagine how bummed he was, after attempting to help everyone else on the team. It's odd to think what exactly the criteria they were looking for beyond kicking for goals. Not sure what being a Manager meant, but it sounds like he was accepted on the team and so all is well.

    I don't even want to think what kind of fluff #3 caused >.> I'll just leave it at that... But seriously, that is kind of cool... or disturbing... or... something regardless :-)

    I'm still jealous of you self-sustaining farm. It would be pretty cool to have that, but lord knows I'm likely a tad bit too lazy for it.

    It's wonderful to hear you had all the help from your kids and were able to sneak in a date night with the C.O.W. It's important to get them in when you can. I'm sure I've said this elsewhere before.

    I feel like I am due for some relaxing park adventures. Been trying for a few weeks now.

    I'm curious if you knew all the Spanish or cheated and looked some up? Honestly, as reading some of them I was tempted to look up if you had the correct spelling cause I am completely clueless on most of them.

    LOVE Dodgeball!

    Jak at The Cryton Chronicles & Dreams in the Shade of Ink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Now, why would you be reading a post when you are eating dinner with a friend?

      A manager is kinda like the water boy, I think, but who gets to practice. Ever seen the movie "Rudy"? We have been calling Phoenix, Rudy, ever since. (If you haven't watched it, do so right now. One of the best true story movies ever made.)

      No fluff. He was happy with it. Well, at least he thanked me, so I think he's happy with it.

      Maybe someday...

      It was a very good thing to get a date night in. We don't do it often enough.

      I knew the words, but had to look up the spelling of a couple of them.

      Hilarious movie!

      Delete
  23. I get the favorite reader badge then, because.... DODGEBALL! Yes! There are many highlights of that movie, but Jason Bateman and Gary Cole as the announcers for ESPN - The OCHO is one of my favorite parts! :)

    Great post! Speaking of Dodgeball...the movie's full title is "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story" and so I can't help but think of Phoenix' soccer story! Just awesome....good prevailed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always liked Jason Bateman, but in that movie, he made my list of favorite actors of all time.

      Aaahhh, great segue you did there. :) It is awesome!

      Delete
  24. Praying still for all hurting.

    I love "bend at the waist, can't breathe, just might pee" laughter!! It is the best! Especially in times of sadness. Such a wonderful release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      It was the perfect medicine for me.

      Delete
  25. Prayers, deep breaths, heaps of aum for your friend. I really enjoyed reading all of your list, but cuatro and cinco struck a chord. Love how you are raising your family.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ok. Thank you for explaining why you call your husband COW. Somehow I missed that and I wonder every single time about the name. :)

    I'm so proud of your son for continuing to work, and so glad the coaches recognized their mistake! What a credit to your son, and your parenting to have been able to work through such an obviously mistake.

    I hope your son kicks butt. (Can I say that on a blog comment?) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You aren't the only one wondering. :)

      Completely appropriate to say it. We're all thinking it. They have had two games already, and Phoenix hasn't sat on the bench for a single minute. He is the only player to do so. Kicking butt has begun. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!