Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Isabel Anne

This post was written late last night.  I couldn't hit publish until I went back over it today, after I could get a little distance from it.  If you are at work, you may want to wait until later to read it.  There is a possibility you will cry.



I held a dead baby today.

It was one of the most beautiful experiences I've ever had. 

It was the most agonizing thing I've ever done.

My sweet, sweet book club friend delivered her baby, Isabel, this morning, after the baby's heart stopped beating in utero yesterday.  For months now, we've known the time would come eventually, but in the back of our minds hoped and prayed it wouldn't. 

This wasn't something anyone could completely plan for.  There is no telling how a mother will react in this situation.  Over the months since the baby's diagnosis of Trisomy 18, we discussed what she was going to do.  How she was going to prepare.  Not once did we discuss what we, her friends, were supposed to do to help her.  We simply waited for her to lead us.  Five hours after delivery, she sent a signal.

Along with a picture, she texted, "Our sweet baby girl.  I'd love for you to see her."

Fifteen minutes later, I found myself sitting in the hospital parking lot.  I wanted to go to the room.  I wanted to be there for my friend.  However, I was really nervous about doing so.  I'm not known for being the best in sad situations.  My friends don't call me first after a tragedy.  They call me a day or two later, when they are ready to forget about it all and simply laugh. 

There wasn't going to be any laughing in this room.  This wasn't a day or two after the tragedy.  It was mere hours.  And was still happening.  I didn't know how I would handle the situation, and I most certainly didn't want to make it worse by saying the wrong thing.

I stalled.  I called COW.  I called another book clubber, asking when she would be there.  Should I just wait for her?

Finally, though, I pulled myself together and went in.

At first glance, the room appeared very much like any other delivery/recovery room.  Basinet, grandparents and other family scattered around, Mom in hospital gown, Baby wrapped snuggly in a blanket, nurse checking in.  Yet after a closer look, it wasn't the same at all.  No diapers under the basinet.  Tears in everyone's eyes.  No balloons or flowers.  The nurse didn't actually check the baby.  There were no baby sounds.  There was a whole lot of quiet.

It was all very surreal.

After I hugged everyone, Grandma handed dear little Isabel to me. 

She was beautiful. 

A two and a half pound, darling girl.  She had a whole mess of fuzzy hair under her knit cap (that a nurse had knitted while my friend labored).  She had perfect, miniature hands, with tiny little fingers that fit across my fingernail.  Her skin was soft and flawless.  Her eyes were closed, making her look like she was simply sleeping. 

As I held her, I realized I was swaying.  Such a natural thing, to rock as soon as a baby is placed in your arms. 

I was there for two and a half hours, and in those hours, I said maybe 20 words.  I listened.  I listened to my friend tell the story of Isabel's birth.  I listened to relatives talk.  I absorbed every emotion in that room.  The grief, the uncomfortableness, the sadness, the peace, the concern, the hurt.  Most especially, though, I felt the love.  So much love was in that room.

I feel so blessed to have been there.  To see the love and support and gorgeous things that happened in that room.  To see family and friends come together to console each other, to honor a tiny angel, and to grieve for what was lost.

The nurses did a fantastic job taking care of my friend.  The little touches, like knitting a cap and taking photos and putting together a memory box, made it all a little bit easier for my friend to bear. 

As I walked out, I felt like I was leaving a tiny little island of tranquility.

But within seconds, I was smacked with reality.

I realized the wise ways of the nurses.  They had put my friend at the very end of a long hall, and kept the adjacent room as the "family room" for overflow visitors.  It was just a nice way of keeping laboring women with live, crying, cooing babies as far from her as possible.

As the day went on, I became more and more depressed.  For all these months, I have been in a kind of denial, never fully believing that this day would come.  But deep down I knew the time was getting closer, and the pain of it all has been oozing out.

I've been receiving texts and emails and comments from people worried about me, saying my recent posts have been abnormally down.  I've been reacting to things with much more emotion than normal.  I've been sarcastic and negative, which is very unlike me.  (Soccer post would be a perfect example, I think.)

Walking out of that room, out of that hospital, people were behaving as they always do.  No one cared that in a room four floors above them, a mother and father just lost their precious baby girl they have wanted for so many years.

My mood and my energy drained as the day went on.  Seeing people at pickup laughing and acting like nothing horrific happened to someone they know about did me in.   

At one point, I wanted to scream.  Why the hell doesn't the world stop when parents lose their baby?!?!?  Why can't everyone just take a day off to cry and acknowledge the loss?

But no, life continues on, whether we like it or not.

You'd think that after today I'd be home hugging and loving on my kids like crazy. 

I wasn't.

I was simply beyond exhausted, and the emotions I had witnessed and felt were building like a wild fire.  Standing in the center of the chaos that is my home after school, I became completely withdrawn from them.  I just wanted to be in a room alone.

I didn't care that my own kids needed fed.  I didn't care that there were soccer practices to attend.  I didn't care that Phoenix needed pants to wear to school. 

I didn't care about anything except what was happening in that hospital room.

Precious Isabel, her mother, her father, her siblings.  That's what I cared about.  Soccer is pretty insignificant next to something so tragic.

All night I have been praying for them.  All night I've been asking God to help them get through this.

He will, I have no doubt, but it's going to be a long road that will get harder before it gets easier.

Tomorrow will be the hardest day for my friend.  They will take her baby from her, and she will have to leave that hospital.  She will walk the same hall I did, but instead of simply being smacked by reality, she will be beaten to a pulp by it. 

Please, please pray for my friend and her husband. 

My friend did make it home from the hospital today.  They are now in the throws of planning a funeral service while also taking care of their three other children.  Keep the prayers coming please. 

24 comments:

  1. My heart hurts for Isabel's family and friends. Praying for them, for you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ow! My heart! I am definitely gonna keep praying for your lovely friend and her family, and for you.

    You're such an amazing friend to her to have gone and supported her so well. And for writing this tribute to darling Isabel.

    You know that the comments are only because we care and we worry about you, lovely one.

    I hope you find a way to get back to reality without the haze, soon, where things like soccer and the right size pants do matter. And keep going with that support and encouragement and being-there - it can only help.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were right, I'm crying. I can't find any words to write but tonight I will light a candle for baby Isobel and pray that God keeps her safe in his arms and watches over her mum and dad xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you and your family as you grieve for this sweet baby! Praying that as you grieve you will feel God's comforting hand in your days ahead. Now it is an order go put that sweet little Cuckoo on your lap rock him, breath in his stinky boy smell and snuggle him. It will help. I promise. Then go take a long shower and have a good cry, no one can hear you cry in the shower trust me.
    Praying for their family and the tragic events that have come about.
    There is no word for a mother who loses her child only sadness

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her and her family are in my prayers and that includes you too. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, sweet friend... this such a beautiful post.

    I have a friend who lost not one, but three (the second pregnancy was twins) precious babies & had to plan funerals & burials for them, etc. Such a tough...tough & awful thing. I pray your friend can lean on the Truth that is: "God is faithful, God is GOOD -- ALWAYS." I'm not going to say it'll be easy, but He will get them through it. *praying*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a tragic event. Your friend and her family and you will all be in my thoughts and prayers today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many prayers for all who are hurting. That includes you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart goes out to this family, her extended family, and all you and all her friends. This is so heart-breaking AND heart-wrenching. At least the young family could draw SOME comfort with having their family and friends nearby to help share this burden.

    Heaven opened its doors for a beautiful new baby angel named Isabel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. (((((HUGS))))) Thinking of you and your friend/family...heart breaking. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. My thoughts and love are flying their way across to Isabel's family, and I will be praying hard that they are able to go on from this.
    God bless you for being there for her {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh. :-( Strength comes from somewhere else when a friend needs you. I am glad you were able to hang around in such a difficult situation. I remember seeing someone leave the hospital with an empty baby carrier. It was something about the couple's walk, the mom's belly that didn't have a baby in it anymore, their sadness and separation. I still think of them to this day and I didn't know who they were. I just knew in my heart that they had just lost a child. I will be praying for Isabel's family too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As awful as this was, it sounds like it must have been even more awful for them in that it was somewhat expected? Can't imagine having to go through a pregnancy expecting it to not end with a baby going home with you. Happens all to often I'm afraid. I always have that same thought when grieving - you look around and wonder how everything can go on like normal. I was almost angry about that the day my Dad passed away, but I quickly realized I was being irrational. Everyone should be lucky enough to have a friend like you nearby. {HUGS}

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, so sad. My heart goes out to the family. You are a good friend, to be right in the thick of it w/ them. They needed people not to be afraid to come in to the pain. I, too, always feel when there is a death, people should stop doing things and acknowledge that a life is gone. it has such a huge impact to the family, and yet...strangers don't care. I believe God will heal this family, and of course, Isabel is within God's loving arms.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never experienced anything like that, I can't even imagine. I am sure she will be grateful for friends like you in the coming weeks, months....however long.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did an incredibly powerful and loving thing by sharing this story with us Christine. It is something no one wants to talk about, the mothers who come home with empty arms, and the fathers who feel so helpless. I love the way this family handled a situation that none of us are ever prepared to face and deal with. That beautiful little angel was sent back home to God surrounded by the love and shared tears of so many. Mourning together is a gift, it is what we can do when there are no words, no ways to comfort. And we pray, we can all pray, and peace will come for them aways down the road. But they will always remember this day, and that you took the time to come and care, and to share their story here. Blessings to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So very sad, but beautiful too and I admire not only your own strength and love but the way your portrayed the family.
    Praying that they find comfort and peace and continued support
    Blessings
    Gae

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for this post; my thoughts go out to this poor little baby and her family. I cannot even go to the point of imagining the pain this family must feel. I wouldn't know what to do. I wish them much strength to live on and find a place of comfort and a way to move on after this tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bawling. Your words are perfect. I had asked Lizzi recently if something was wrong. I'm so so sorry to learn that this is what was wrong. My heart is broken for you and for your friend and for every mother anywhere who has had to say goodbye to her baby...thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've had too many friends suffer from devastating loss lately, and to put it eloquently, it really sucks for everyone. But I think you've captured that there's beauty amidst all that. You're a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't even begin to imagine the last few weeks you've had. I'm sorry that I'm only just catching up but will pray for your friend and her family. Thank you for having the courage to go and support her at such a difficult time. What a beautiful thing to do. It's times like this that I think we have to stumble along in the darkness and ask God to be faithful to His promise to bring something good from the pain. Big Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!