When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself.
This week, I see plenty of reasons to give thanks...
1. I am thankful for relatives who come to visit. Monday night, we had the Reverend Mother. Sounds impressive and intimidating, doesn't it? While her 50 year stretch as a nun is impressive, she is far from intimidating. "Sister Susan" is COW's aunt. She and her nun friend came through on their way home from a vacation. We had such a nice visit, talking until way past bedtime. It isn't often that relatives other than our parents or my siblings visit, so it's extra special when one of them does.
2. I am thankful for great Catholic schools for my kids to attend. In both the elementary/middle school and the high school, the administration and the teachers have high expectations for the kids. These expectations aren't limited to academics, but in all areas of the kids' lives. The teachers want nothing more than to see the kids grow in heart, mind, and spirit.
3. I am thankful for online recipes. Have I mentioned we have gobs and gobs of tomatoes from the garden. I have canned enough for the winter, but I still have a bunch sitting on the counter and on the vines. This week, I decided to try making tomato soup. I googled "tomato soup from fresh tomatoes, found one that looked pretty easy to make and could be frozen if we decided we liked it. We liked it. Well, COW and I liked it, and we got three "It's OK" from kids. Three kids "don't like soup" even though they have never tried it. I will be making some for the freezer.
4. I am thankful for strong boys. We've been putting weed barriers and rocks around the new porch/stairs from our mudroom door. Rocks are heavy. I am so grateful to have lots of strong kids to help.
5. I am thankful for the enjoyment Buttercup gets from mowing the yard. Grass doesn't wait for anyone, so we had to mow before Lizzi could get here. Fortunately, Buttercup was home, and she practically begged me to let her do it. Well, if you're going to twist my arm...
6. I am thankful for unexpected get-togethers with my best friend. Remember my best friend Amy? I wrote about her for Stephanie and Jessica's HerStories Project. I called her to wish her a happy birthday this week, and she informed me that for her birthday, she asked for time with her friends. We met at a restaurant in between our two cities and had a fantastically relaxed, three and a half hour breakfast. While I was sad to leave, missing her more after seeing her, I am so grateful that we had the chance to get together.
7. I am thankful for automatic ice makers in the freezer. We go through pounds and pounds of ice in this house, especially in this hot weather. The kids load up their water jugs every night, and COW and I like to drink ice water with our meals (and I do in between). I know with every fiber of my being, if we had to refill ice trays, I would have no hair left. Every time I went to get ice and found empty trays, I'd yank out another hunk of it. So, yes, very grateful for ice machines.
8. I am thankful for the low expectations of my children. We have three kids with birthdays in a 2 week period. Labor Day weekend is the weekend we celebrate with family. I usually make three cakes to share with everyone, but this year, only COW's mom is here. I made a Despicable Me cake in 15 minutes, and they are happy.
9. I am thankful for an evening with all my kids at home before dark. Friday was so nice and relaxed, all of us eating at the same time, hanging out together.
10. I am thankful for whatever it was that made me remember to take new blog photos of the kids for my sidebar. I've been meaning to take them for a long time now, but only remember when half the kids aren't home or it's dark outside. (That one of Cuckoo was his 2nd birthday. He just turned 4.) Friday night, I got it done. I'll have them posted very soon.
|This is what Cuckoo thought of the photo session.
Your turn! What are you thankful for this nice, long weekend?
Have a lovely day!
A Fly on our (Chicken Coop) Wall, Considerings, Finding Ninee, I can say mama, I Want Backsies, Steps into Parenthood, Thankful Me, The Wakefield Doctrine