Sunday, July 27, 2014

I'm Back from a Vacation. You Must Know What that Means By Now. TToT Week 58

Are you all beginning to think I should just make the jump and call this a travel blog?  I promise, this is the last vacation for a long while.  Probably.

Today, I bring you "Up North: When Chaos Descends on the Quiet Lakes of Wisconsin".

In the form of Ten Things of Thankful, of course.

1.  I forgot to take my real camera, and I could kick myself for it.  I missed out on a whole mess of great shots, including photos of the bald eagle that lived in a pine tree on the shore of our lake.  Fortunately, I did have my camera phone and was able to not just document the trip, but take some good photos, too.




2.  The lake we were on was a "no wake" lake, so it was the perfect place for the kids to swim without worry of getting run over by a boat.






3.  Since I had just gotten my stitches out, I wasn't comfortable getting in the lake with open wounds.  No swimming for me.  However, the house came with boats for us to use.  I didn't need to be able to walk in order to paddle a kayak, let some kids take me for a spin in a paddle boat, or take a ride on a pontoon boat at sunset.



I took this photo of Buttercup and our friend kayaking.

Bryan took this one of me.  Apparently, his motto is "Who cares if the photo looks good, so long as I get the photo?"
4.  It seemed the houses on the lake were mostly owned and not rented out.  Through the week, we saw very few people out on the water.  This was fortunate, seeing as how we are very noisy, competitive people.  We can't simply relax.  At some point each day, a competition was inevitable.

It could be a game of dodgeball, kayaks vs. paddle boat...



or kayak relay races around the island.

The start

the finish.  I had a good lead when I got the kayak.  Unfortunately, making turns isn't a skill that I possess.   Phoenix passed me first. That arrow is pointing to me coming around from the far side of the island.  I'll get passed by another kayak before I finish.

Either way, we're loud and obnoxious and not fit for other vacationers trying to enjoy the peace and quiet of a small lake.

5.  No vacation with our friends would be complete without a trip to a baseball field.  (I told you we are competitive!)  Fortunately, Giant has eagle eyes and spotted the one and only field we found all week.


Baseball fields aren't just for baseball.

6.  Every year, Bryan brings fishing poles.  Every year, kids fish for about 10 minutes.  Not the case this year.  Right off the dock, the kids were catching fish left and right.  Most of the kids were out on the dock every day, multiple times a day.  According to Cuckoo's count, he caught 1,003 fish.




Mostly, though, I'm glad I never had to touch a worm, a leech, or a fish.  Bryan brought the poles, Bryan can be in charge of that activity.

7.  What, I ask you, is vacation without ice cream?  Bonus!  The place we found had huge portions and reasonable prices.



8.  While I was able to participate in most every activity, there were some things I just couldn't do with a bum knee.  Hiking was one of those things.  Fortunately, I was still able to enjoy myself.

They found a nice, peaceful, pretty spot to park me so I could read and enjoy the scenery


while they went out and explored the forest.

This was the end of the hike.  Cuckoo and Turken were exhausted and bummed some rides.
9.  I did get to do the short hike to "Cascade Pines", though.  It was a gorgeous spot untouched by loggers.  By the time I caught up to the kids, they had already started a game similar to hide and seek, but more fun and more obnoxious.  I was a bit worried when an older couple came upon us, thinking we were intruding on their quiet.  Fortunately, they were our kind of people.  They smiled and told us they used to bring their kids up there to play the exact same game as well as dodgeball.  Dodgeball.  In the forest.  Brilliant.  I have no doubt we'll be trying that next year.

Giant is "It", the two on the bench were caught, and Buttercup and Turken are still hiding.
10.  While there were plenty of activities and things to do, the best part, for me, was being witness to the little moments.  The high fives between Turken and a big kid.  The hugs shared between my kids and our friends.  The laughter of the big kids over a private, shared joke.  With me still being down much of the time, I was able to see more of these small moments than usual.  It made my heart fit to burst.


What happened in your world this week to make your heart happy?  I'd love to hear about it either in the comments or in your own post.  Link it up!

Have a lovely day!


Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group


47 comments:

  1. What a fun time. You and your family will cherish these moments for a lifetime. Then your kids will be doing the same for their kids. It's a wonderful thing.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They already are cherishing the memories. Each family has photo albums of all the trips we've taken. We all enjoy going through them and revisiting all of the past vacations. Oh how I pray they continue the tradition with their own families.

      Delete
  2. excellent vacationeering!

    great photos… the lack of crowds is a thing that, as a clark, I would find v appealing.

    (we were talking last night about how much fun it is to see illustrations/demonstrations of one's worldview, even when not specifically talking about the Doctrine, your post today had this line:

    "No swimming for me. However, ...I didn't need to be able to walk in order to paddle a kayak,…"

    which made me smile. very well said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As a scott, I appreciate the lack of crowds, too. There's plenty of things for me to do without worrying about the folks around me.

      Glad I was able to illustrate the point for you. :)

      Delete
  3. When I read that you describe yourself and family as 'loud and obnoxious' I immediately thought that I wouldn't be like to be near you on a camp site as I do prefer peace and quiet, HOWEVER you always seem to be so close and have so much fun together that I would quite enjoy having you pitched near me. For 'loud and obnoxious' read 'close-knit fun loving family' - your happiness and enjoyment shine through your words and photos, and the last photo says it all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I'm thinking you'd enjoy our adult-only card games each night, especially. Your sense of humor would fit right in.

      I think that last photo is my favorite of the entire week.

      Delete
    2. Adult-only card games sound intriguing, though I'd be equally at home joining in with the kids if I was allowed to. I used to love a good game of hide-and-seek, in fact a couple of years ago I joined in a 'Manhunt' game around a camp site - similar to hide-and-seek but played in the dark while wearing head torches. Great fun, especially when you trip over a guy line and sprawl full length in front of someone's tent! :)

      Delete
    3. Oh, you'd be allowed. The kids love to have the adults join in on the fun. I am so enjoying learning more about you. I never would have pegged you as a hide and seek in the dark with head lamps kind of person. My kids would be all over that game!

      Delete
  4. 1. That looks like a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle picture!
    2. I visited friends in Wisconsin two summers and we went to the family cabin on a lake not too far from Milwaukee. EVERYONE seems to have a lake house up there, but with so many lakes, why not?
    3. Okay, not the best picture of you ever, but at least there IS one of you on the trip. The photographer is rarely photographed....
    4. Bumper boats!
    6. Love, love, LOVE Bryan's shirt. Father's Day gift?
    7. Now I want ice cream. Lots of it.
    10. Beautiful moments. Love watching my family when they aren't really aware I'm watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Ha! I guess it does. :)
      2. They either own them or rent them or visit other people's lake houses. I do believe it is the most common entertainment for anyone who lives in Wisconsin.
      3. That's exactly what I thought.
      4. NO! The last thing we needed was one of the kids to tip over in the middle of the lake! A couple of people tipped when getting in/out of the kayaks when next to the pier. Getting that figured out was difficult enough.
      6. Ha! It was in his stocking a few years ago. :)
      7. Is there ever a time you don't want ice cream?
      10. That is the key. Once they know you're watching, it's not worth watching anymore.

      Delete
  5. As someone who wants quiet ....the sounds of happy never bother me...especially from kids...its angry adult noise I find difficult. I dont think I would qualify your kind as annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear from you all who want peace but would enjoy the sounds of our family. Makes me feel better about it all. Angry noises are a bother no matter who they are coming out of.

      No trouble commenting today?

      Delete
    2. I think it was my phone which is still in need of a priest... but I used my computer and it was fine!
      On the previous topic, I actually enjoy meeting other people and their kiddos on vac. even though I am a lover of quiet!

      Delete
    3. Oh good. While I'm sorry for your phone, I'm glad it wasn't me and something I needed to fix.
      I have a feeling that when the kids are grown, I'm going to be all over the families we come across on the vacations Bryan and I go on alone. I'll be feared everywhere we go. :)

      Delete
    4. hahahahha.... funny you should say that because as I wrote the second comment I was thinking I sound like some kind a wierdo! Beware the freaky lady on vacation chanting... I WANNA MEET YOUR KIDS!!! Originally the comment didnt have "...other people and..." in it and I thought it sounded too pathological!!!!

      Delete
    5. Hahahaha!! While I would love to vacation with you, it's probably best we never do. :)

      Delete
  6. I guess I never understood why some people don't like vacation recaps, because I really enjoy them! Looks like you had a great time, and you did get some great pics. But I hear you on being frustrated when you don't have your "real" camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them! I love writing them and reliving the trips.

      We did have lots of fun. I imagine you would understand the forgotten camera frustration. :)

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed this a lot...what a wonderful vacation...yes I agree it's those small quiet gestures that you get to witness that make for a memorable vacation...but I think its great to that your crew was loud and competitive and just their wonderful selves nothing wrong with that - in fact it sounds like the same kind of crowd I run with. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. While I will remember the small, quiet moments, I'm thinking the kids won't. The loud, fun activities will be memories we share and talk about forever, so I am thrilled to have those, too. :)

      Delete
  8. Reading about your great vacation and looking at these beautiful photos make me feel happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always like your travel recap TToTs. And my Brian has the same photo philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And people wonder why I am never in photos. Perhaps photography lessons would be a good Christmas present for them.

      Delete
  10. What a fun time. That floating platform brings back childhood memories. Lots of our mom-joy comes from watching our family at play. I'm glad you could step back (had to because of the injury) and enjoy the view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The platform was also a memory-jogger for the other mom on our trip. I never knew they could be so much fun.
      There certainly have been a few good things to come from this long summer of sitting. The chance to observe my family is the best one.

      Delete
  11. Oh, Christine! This looks like a fantastic vacation...love the pics. The real life shots are always, always my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We always have fun on these vacations with our friends. They are full of simple fun. I am a big fan of snapshots, too. Seeing the kids as they really are is what I want to remember.

      Delete
  12. Christine, I'll tell you...you're an awesome photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh your post is beautiful. You take the most amazing shots. I loved every single part of this post: the kayaks, the canoes, the wake-free water. Now I want to go there and will add this to my bucket list. Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad your family enjoys being a family and you enjoy sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you! Northern Wisconsin is covered with lakes of all sizes. You won't have trouble finding a place if you ever make out there.

      Delete
  14. It looks like you had a wonderful time! I had to laugh when I read Bryan's shirt though... too funny! Glad you are somewhat up and about! I've missed giving you hell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did!
      As soon as I saw the shirt, I knew it was meant for him.

      It is nice to be off crutches, for sure. I'm looking forward to walking normally...someday.

      I've missed seeing you around here! I know you're busy, so I won't scold you too badly. :)

      Delete
  15. Ditto to what Dyanne wrote. I swear we are sisters born to different mothers. :) Because jigsaw puzzle was the first thing that crossed my mind too!

    Great photos...way too much fun...and I'd be in there like a dirty shirt. Not that I'm competitive or anything. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny! I have done a hundred jigsaw puzzles, and that thought never crossed my mind until Dyanne said it.

      Thanks! You would have been a great addition to the fun. With your dragon boat skills, I'd have picked you for my team!

      Delete
  16. Yea that your knee is healing. Your vacation spot looks serene enough to make up for the competitiveness! And there was ice cream! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a perfect spot to vacation. I think the surroundings actually helped calm them all down a bit. :)

      Delete
  17. It has been such a long time since I got in on one of these TToT, I probably should do it again one of these days. ... promise!

    Anyway, this sounds like one heck of a great spot for a vacation. It looks beautiful. Though I do understand the leaving the main camera behind. I've retreated more than once after I've started a trip to get it... always blows my mind how I could forget something like that.

    As for dodgeball in the woods... who knew? That would be fantastic!

    If I remember right ... you guys do a little geocaching, too, no? Seems like it would be a wonderful spot for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! We'd love to have you back!

      It was a beautiful vacation spot. I guess that's why everyone who lives in southern Wisconsin spends half their summers there. I never remember about my camera until we are hours from home. Curious to know how far you've gone and still turned around to get yours. :)

      We have done geocaching. Good memory! We have even done some on vacation with this family. The dad and son from the other family didn't find it nearly as enjoyable as we and the other mom did. It would have been a good place, though!

      Delete
  18. that sounds like a perfect vacation, including time to just sit and read a book in a forest. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow it looks Amazingly Beautiful! If you are like me, now you need a vacation from the vacation, lol. How awesome that you had the lake pretty much to yourselves...nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was gorgeous on that lake. Normally, I do need a vacation after vacation. This time, not the case. With my inability to walk, I wasn't required to do much of anything, so I was completely relaxed. I guess that's the key to a relaxing vacation: major injury. :)

      Delete
    2. LOL, I will keep that in mind for future surgeries. :-)

      Delete
  20. Photos are beautiful...looks like a wonderful and relaxing time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was wonderful and relaxing, so I guess I nailed it! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!