Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Sunshine

My brain has been occupied with schedules and parenting lately.  Also, my kids have been hijacking my computer every night until almost 10, typing up school projects.  My brain is all jumbled.  When I said something about being upset about my inability to get on the blog to COW, he laughed and said, "You're kidding, right?"  No, I wasn't.  I didn't realize until this week just how much simply sitting down and writing or reading other people's posts clears my head.  At 10:00 at night, when I finally can get my hands on the keyboard, I just can't get up the gumption to be funny.  Or even coherent.  So my brain stays jumbled.

Fortunately, a lovely lady named Stephanie saw fit to give me a little sunshine this week. 
 
 
I know a lot of people don't like receiving awards.  I get it.  They are a bit of work.  However, it was awfully nice of the person doing the nominating.  It's gratifying to be told you are doing a good job every now and again.  So, Stephanie, thank you very much.
 
She gave me some questions to answer, which is good, since I have no original ideas of my own these days.
 
1. What is on your to-do list for fall?

There are two things in fall that are always on my to-do list.  Get through the last month of soccer season without losing any children and raking leaves for Mrs. G.  Oh, the leaves... I ran into Mrs. G and her kids (who are in their 60s) at church a couple of weeks ago (as they set up for Mrs. G's 92nd birthday party), and all three gushed over how much they appreciated our help each year.  And then Mrs. G asked if we'd be back this fall.  Of course we will.

2. Have you bought any holiday presents yet?

Not a one.

3. Pumpkin Spice Latte or Peppermint Mocha?

Neither.  I don't like pumpkin or coffee.  I have never been to Starbucks or any other coffee place for that matter.

4. What is your favorite book?

Impossible to say.  I read all the time, and enjoy most of what I read.  However, I never go back and read a book a second time.  A few ideas, though.  There is only one book that I remember as making me laugh out loud more than once.  COW hated when I read it in bed, as I shook the bed trying not to laugh.  One for the Money, by Janet Evanovich.  I devoured Harry Potter.  I recently found Catherine Ryan Hyde.  I've read three of her books and enjoyed all of them.

5. Share something embarrassing.
 
As I sit here, I see quite a bit of what used to be clean laundry under the couch.  I'm guessing it got there when the laundry couch got too full, some laundry fell off, then over time it got kicked under the couch.  It has been under there for at least 5 days.  (Did I mention it has been a busy, busy week?)
 
6. What is your favorite animal.
 
A pig in my freezer.
 
7. What was your favorite toy as a child?
 
I don't remember playing with toys much.  I was outside as much as possible.  The only toys I have vivid memories of are the Atari system (I flipped the score on Pac-Man and was cool in the eyes of my siblings for about 10 seconds), Lincoln Logs (My sister and I ran to our room to play with the Lincoln Logs without our little brothers, my brother in hot pursuit.  When we got to the room, my sister slammed the door, crushing my brother's fingers in the door jam.  He broke a finger and we got in trouble.), and the stuffed carrot.  (At first glance, you may thing that is the stupidest gift ever given.  (It was.)  Fortunately, my siblings and I were a creative bunch, and found a use for it.  That gigantic stuffed carrot made the best slide for going down the staircase.)
 
 
 
8. Apples or pears?
 
Apples.  I eat one every day for lunch.  I don't like pears at all.
 
9. Are you going to celebrate Halloween?
 
Oh, we'll "celebrate" Halloween, alright.  And by "celebrate" I mean rush around the day of trying to get everyone's costumes done and pumpkins carved and the kids home from practice so we can run around to 30 houses collecting as much candy loot as possible.
 
10. Were you a mommy's or daddy's girl?

Much to my siblings' dismay, I have always been my dad's favorite.


Now, for some introductions.  The following folks are people I've met fairly recently.  I enjoy their writing and think you might, too. 

Beth Teliho - Writer B is Me

Kerri Ames - Undiagnosed but Okay

Lizzy Allan - Muddle-Headed Mamma

The Meaning of Me

Maggie - From the Heart
 
Denise - Go Cheap or Go Home
 
Stacey - Stacey's Mothering Moments
 
Zoe - Rewritten
 
Kari - Miss Bloggypants
 
Dana - Kiss My List
 
If, perchance, any of these ladies reads this and sees she has been introduced (I like that word better than nominated.), some questions...
 
If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
If you were immortal for a day, what would you do?
What was your favorite food when you were a child?
What was one of the best parties you’ve ever been to?
What did you do growing up that got you into trouble?
What chore do you absolutely hate doing?
What sound do you love?
What dessert do you order most often?
What is the first thing you do when you get up in the morning?
 
If you, Dear Reader, would like to answer any of the questions, I'd love to read them.
 
Hopefully we will be back to our regularly unscheduled posts soon.
 
Have a lovely day!
 
 
 
 
 

30 comments:

  1. Your favorite animal answer cracked me up. When you were talking about a stuffed carrot, I thought, "how fun can THAT be?"....until I saw the size of that sucker! Yeah, that WOULD be fun using that to slide down the stairs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I had to put the photo of the carrot for anyone to understand what I meant. ;)

      Delete
  2. You only read books once? Hmmm. You're one of *those*...

    Congrats on the award though - you deserve some sunshine, forsure.

    YAY for your autumn 'to do's :) And I hope that somehow you get to wrestle the kids off the computer more often, when you're feeling less scrambled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one of "those". Don't you be getting all snobby about how and what I read, Missy.

      I'm thinking a laptop is in order for a Christmas present to the family.

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't possibly dare to cast any such snobbish aspersions remotely in your direction m'dear!

      (I'll keep them firmly to myself :p )

      At least you READ. Even if it's on one of those 'things'. And ne'er the same book twice...nope. Still can't understand that.

      I think your Christmas present proposal is a most excellent one! How soon is Christmas?

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for the introduction! I know exactly what you mean about having nothing left at the end of the day. I try to make it through football season without loosing anyone, but sadly I've already failed at that this year. I lost my youngest two last week. And your laundry couch makes me love you even more! I thought I was the only one with a laundry couch!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!
      Ha! We've lost ours plenty. The scariest was at a cross country meet. Turken took off down a trail, each of us adults thought the other one had him. Fortunately, Star had seen him take off and just stayed with him until we found them.
      Long live the laundry couch! (Not really. More of a bonding thing with other laundry couch owners. I really don't want it to live long, but it will probably live for another 10 years.)

      Delete
  4. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
    Crafts, any kind of crafts. I've not a crafty bone in my body.

    If you were immortal for a day, what would you do?
    They same as I do everyday...whatever I want.

    What was your favorite food when you were a child?
    Fried chicken and potatoes and gravy.

    What was one of the best parties you’ve ever been to?
    There have been too many to single out one.

    What did you do growing up that got you into trouble?
    I went to a party at night without my parents permission. I was grounded until I was 30 over that.

    What chore do you absolutely hate doing?
    Cleaning the toilets.

    What sound do you love?
    My husbands voice.

    What dessert do you order most often?
    Ice cream.

    What is the first thing you do when you get up in the morning?
    Restroom, weigh myself, take my medication, turn on the coffee pot, take Little Bit out to potty while I get the newspaper, read the paper and have coffee.

    Have a terrific day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite of your answers is "my husband's voice". I love hearing about married couples who love each other so.
      You rebel, you, going to a party without permission. Did they go find you and drag you home or wait until you got home to lay into you?

      Delete
  5. Haha a stuffed carrot? Wow.

    We haven't bought any Christmas gifts yet either... we have no idea what we are going to do this year. Last year we did an all homemade Christmas - it was very cool because I have some really crafty people in my family. This year though? No clue.

    Congrats on your award! I think the "Sunshine Award" fits you pretty well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. My dad...an original gift giver.

      I've never done an all homemade Christmas. I have given away plenty of cross stitch pieces over the years, but never an entire Christmas of homemade.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  6. WOW, just WOW, on the stuffed carrot 'cause you know what my warped mind is thinkin' don't ya??????

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the first year I have started my shopping early. I have 3/8 people done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the award, I mean introduction! I will definitely be playing along :)
    And One for the Money was laugh out loud funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I've enjoyed learning about your lovely family.
      The grandma scenes are some of the funniest things I have ever read.

      Delete
  9. Is One for the Money the only Janet Evanovich book you've read? Because you really must read the rest of the series (but skip the books that aren't part of her number series, as they are just fluff).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read almost the entire series. She is so good at coming up with interesting characters. I lost interest at about #15, though. I'm usually one of those people who yell, "But what happened next?!?!?!" when a book doesn't have a sequel. However, 17 or 19 or whatever she did was a bit much for me.

      Delete
    2. Have you read Sue Grafton? She has the alphabet series ("A is for Alibi" etc.). Excellent writer. Clever. She is one of my very favorite writers. Her newest book just came out, and I CAN'T WAIT to read it.

      Delete
    3. Is she a crime writer? Someone recommended her to me recently...meant to be good.

      Delete
    4. Have not read her books. I'll put them on my list of things to read.

      Delete
    5. Yes, Lizzi. She's a P.I. in a fictional town (that seems to closely resemble Santa Barbara) in California. Was I the one who recommended her?

      Delete
  10. Thank you, Christine - I could always use a little sunshine. I am way overdue on responding to a few other awards, but you have motivated me to remedy that next week! Besides, I'm struggling for some original ideas too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Can't wait to read your answers.

      Delete
  11. My week has been "Cloudy with a Chance of Meltdown." Glad you got a bit of sunshine. ;) Congrats on the award and loved your answers. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to you on the award! You totally deserve it. :)

    And I'm with you... the last couple of weeks have been especially hectic and I'm not getting the necessary blog time. Ha. You really don't realize how addicting it is until you don't have time to do it!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christine! Do you know I never knew about this??? I was just going through your awards to see if you've ever received a liebster (for NO reason whatsoever shhhhh) and started reading this one for ideas for questions and saw my name!!! I feel bad, had I known I would have thanked you profusely and honored it immediately!!! I'm genuinely touched that you thought of me enough way back then. you're are the sweetest. ***now back to my sleuthing.....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!