Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Care and Keeping of Chicks

Step 1:

Get them home.

You'll get a call from the post office which says, "Your chicks are here."

Since they are a few days early, rush to the store to buy chick food and new waterers and a feeder, because you have no idea where the old ones are.

Pick up the chicks and bring them home.


33 chicks in one little box 
Step 2:

Settle everyone in.

Pick chicks up one at a time and dip each beak in the water.  After 2 days in a box, it is very important they get a drink right away.  As I've said before, chickens are not the brightest animals, so if we don't actually put their heads into the water, they wouldn't know where to go or perhaps even how to do it.

Count the chicks as you do this, because once they are loose, you'll never be able to get an accurate count again.  These babies are quick!

The water is yellow, because we added some vitamins to it.
Step 3:

Observe and figure out what you actually have.




1.  These chicks will grow to lay green/blue eggs.  We have 20 of them.  The others are random breeds, just for a little added fun. 

2.  This little guy was really sick when he arrived.  He could barely stand on his own.  Happy to say, he's getting stronger.  He's still a lot smaller than the others, and his little yellow head is still hysterical, but he seems to be getting better. 

We also have one chick whose neck is crooked.  He always looks like he's giving you the "I've got my eye on you" look.  Fortunately, I'm blog friends with Lana, who had this same issue with one of her chicks, so I know what it is and what to do.  Hopefully, the vitamins will work and he'll heal right up.

Step 4:

Teach kids how to pick up and hold the chicks.

This isn't Giant's first rodeo, so he knows what to do.


Turken was fine picking them up, just needed a bit of instruction on what to do after that.


Cuckoo had no clue how to pick them up.  I nabbed one and placed it in his hands.


Once he was comfortable and knew how to hold it, I let go.  Unfortunately, I didn't tell him what to do when he was done. (aka when the chick started to move and tickle his hands)


This is how Cuckoo now holds the chicks.


Step 5:

Continuously water, feed, and obsess over the chicks.  They won't be little and cute for long, so get your chick fix while you can.


Have a lovely day!

24 comments:

  1. We didn't get any chicks this year. Now I wish we had! They are so cute when they are little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soooo cute. Remember this day next year when you debate getting chicks again!

      Delete
  2. Awwwwwww so cute! And poor wee guy with the wonky neck! Hope the vitamins fix him soon. Do you name them all or just the ones the coyotes don't eat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very funny. (Please read this with the sarcastic tone with which I typed it.) :)

      No, we don't name them. Well, not really. The little boys have named their favorites after themselves, but other than that, no names.

      Delete
  3. What fun! My chicks came to me at 3 weeks old. I can't wait till I get the opportunity to raise some from day old chicks...or even watch one of my hens hatch out some herself! Your kids are so lucky to have such a fun animal loving mama like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, three weeks old hardly counts as getting chicks. They change so fast! And let your hens hatch some. It is so cute, and so much fun to see them running around. Of course, I'm sure you'll be awesome and all yours will survive. We have had difficulties with chicks, the way our coop was set up 100 years ago. Hopefully, with our new setup, things will go better this time.

      Delete
  4. With a chick, chick here and a chick, chick there, here a chick, there a chick, everywhere a chick, chick....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, so adorable! I always wanted a pet chick when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your parents were smart to not get one for you. They're only cute little chicks for about 5 minutes.

      Delete
  6. My sister just got a chicken from a neighbor. They're getting ready to build a coop, maybe get some more. I forwarded this to her. I'd love to have chickens, but we're not allowed and my husband wouldn't go for it. Plus, I'm kind of anti-pet after our last two experiences. I love animals, but it's too big of a responsibility for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine that first sentence is typed or spoken very often. The neighbor had a chicken lying around they had no use for? If they only have one, they need to get some more. Poor little lonely chicken. Live vicariously through your sister. Much easier that way.
      Hope she enjoys chicken raising. We certainly have (mostly). :)

      Delete
  7. Chicks are so much fun!! My wry neck baby healed up so nicely. Just don't give up on him! It may take a few weeks. :) They are all so precious. What hatchery did you buy them from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun, for sure. He's looking and acting completely healthy except for the neck thing. I'm hoping for the best. We always use Murray McMurray, and not just because of the awesomely hilarious double name. We've always had wonderful service with them.

      Delete
  8. You are a wealth of information for this city "chick". Glad I give live a farm life virtually through you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it, but just to be honest, I'm not a very good farmer. You could do better. :)

      Delete
  9. the chicks are so adorable! What a fun life you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are cute. And it is fun, most of the time.

      Delete
  10. Cute, cute, cute! Mine have reached the almost-grown stage, so I'm now looking forward to eggs in the next month or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So yours are past the horrible "teen" month? Can't wait for the eggs!

      Delete
  11. Aw! Now I want some chicks! Never thought I'd utter THOSE words! ha ha! That photo of Cuckoo holding that little chick is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I wouldn't get chicks just because they're cute. They won't be so cute next week.

      Thanks! I like that photo, too.

      Delete
  12. Hi, I found your blog through a comment you made on Lia Sophia Tomgirl! Your six little chicks in the sidebar are some of the cutest I've ever seen. LOL I would love to have you link up with my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop, which starts on Sunday nights (depending on how busy the weekend is, it can be as early as 5pm or as late as...MUCH later than that. :) )

    I hope you can make it!
    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cripes they are pretty cute when just little babies! They are delivered how exactly? Kind of creeps me out thinking of how they are transported. Not sure why.

    I thought I saw mentioned about holding and rubbing a chicks tummy causes death? I will have to be careful... I'm a cuddler and like rubbing tummies ;-) dun Dun DUN!

    Jak at The Cryton Chronicles & Dreams in the Shade of Ink

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!