Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Even a Pirate Can't Stop Me

I am a runner.

I run at 6:30am.

Last night, when I told Hubby this bit of news, exactly like that, he laughed.

"Really, you have the wrong tense.  If you've only gone out one morning, you must say, 'I ran at 6:30 today.'  It's more accurate."

When I told the kids, they laughed, too.

"Really?" they asked.

Yes, really.

Even my mom was doubtful.

I know.  It's shocking.  Gotta say, though, it doesn't shock anyone more than it does my own body.

The 7.5 minute run went something like this:

When you read this, use a piraty-type accent.  For some reason, that's what my brain sounds like, being the captain of the ship and all.

Brain:  Blimey!  She's doing physical activity.  Is there another pig on the loose?  No?  What in tarnation is she doing?

OK, so maybe it's a pirate/Yosemite Sam combo.

Brain:  Muscles!  Smartly there!  Git to work!

Me:  Oh, silly brain, I was a college athlete.  I know the muscles won't hurt for long.  I just need to push through.  Weak move, Brain.  Weak.

Brain:  Skin, start itchin'!

Me:  Why, Brain?  Why have you always done this to me?  It's so annoying.  Too bad for you, I mastered the art of scratching my thighs while still running back in high school.  Yes, it's silly looking, but it doesn't stop me.

Brain:  Arg!  She still be runnin'!  I hates runnin'!  Lungs!  Now!

Me:  Finally, you picked something that makes me rethink this whole running thing.  You know, I'm not a fan of it either.

Brain:  We got 'er, me hearties!  Give 'er everythin' ya got!  ANKLE!!!!

Me:  Well played, Brain.  Well.  played.  Lucky for you, I planned on stopping now anyway.

You are probably wondering why I went for a run in the first place.   It's a valid question, seeing as how I always say running is so bad for you.

Monday night, we were at the soccer fields for the U10 end of year party.  As we were about to eat, I realized we left the picnic blankets in the car.  I ran the 100 yards to the car to retrieve them.    Ya'll, I was wiped when I got to that car.  I started to run back with the blankets, but I couldn't do it.

Then and there, I decided to do something about it, but in one of those I don't really mean it kinda ways.  On Tuesday morning, as Hubby left for work at 6:20 and I lied layed lain  stayed in bed, I thought, "No, I really don't want to run."

I can't go back to sleep once awoken, so I got up.  And that's when it hit me.  My legs were sore.  MY LEGS WERE ACTUALLY SORE FROM RUNNING A HUNDRED YARDS!!

It's official.  I am horribly out of shape.

I'd seen it coming.  Since the (is it?) Lupus diagnosis, I've been careful not to do too much, always afraid that I will do too much and not be able to make it through the day.  Yeah.  I went overboard. 

So, it was the sore legs that put me over the edge.  I immediately donned my running clothes (left over from years ago) and hit the driveway.

Yes, I stuck to the driveway.  I had a house full of kids who had no idea I was going to be leaving the house.  I simply went down, up, down 3/4, and up.  I ran less than a mile.  But I ran!  And I ran again today, going even farther.  Down, up, down, up, down 1/2, and walk back up.  (Up is a hill!)

Hubby called at 7:30 this morning.  I got on his case about waking up the entire family.  And I asked, "What made you think I'd actually be up this early?"

He responded with a laugh, "I figured you'd just be getting back from your run."  He didn't think I'd do it.

But I did.  Aaaand got a shower in before he called.

So, yes.

I am a runner.

I run at 6:30am.

Have a lovely day!

24 comments:

  1. Way to go! It's one step at a time, too many people quit before they start because they get too overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I always quit before I start, not because I am overwhelmed, but because I can be lazy. :)

      Delete
  2. Runners amaze me. Such discipline!!!! I'm a gym rat because I need variety. However, yesterday I tried that new body barre class that all the movie stars rave about and today I can barely walk. Guess I should stick to the same old, same old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only running because the closest gym/pool is 20 minutes away. There's no more discipline to run than work out any other way. I say stay with the body barre. It means you're using different muscles.

      Delete
  3. It's hard, but once you get into a routine, it get's easier and easier. Just keep going! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for You!! Everything you do for your body now, you will be thankful for in the years to come. It is so hard to get started on a new routine, but if you can stick to it, it becomes a habit. I'm delighted you were able to surprise your husband, showed him a thing or two! :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing I like more than showing my husband up. I'm a little stubborn that way. :)

      Delete
  5. Good for you! When I started running, my brain and body had a similar conversation. When I finally figured out to run slower, I didn't have such a battle. Now I can run 4 miles. Once I've worked up to 6 miles, I'm going to try to improve the time. (By improving, I'm thinking a 13-minute mile is about as much as I can push it realistically.)

    I had to laugh at your "stayed in bed" phrase. I'm constantly rewording my sentences when grammar or spelling eludes me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a problem with speed. I was a sprinter for 15 years. It's hard to run slowly for extended periods of time.

      I feel like Elmer Fudd every time. :)

      Delete
  6. Well done you. I should definitely take some inspiration from you. I can *nearly* make it round my park without collapsing. And by 'nearly' I mean a couple of weeks ago when I hadn't been on the sofa so much. Must try harder. But I hate 6.30am...so I'll have to figure something out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not recommend 6:30am on nights you stay up until 3. yet another reason to get the to bed earlier! :)

      Delete
  7. WAY TO GO! Anyone who gets up before the rest of the house to do it is a rnner. Thats when I do it and I think it is truly the best time. It feels like YOUR time, and you are doing something for yourself with it. Muscles have good memories. You'll be back at it in no time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to start the day with an early morning me time. So peaceful.

      Delete
  8. Nice! Run, pig farmer, run!! The next time blankets get left in the car 100 yards away you will bring them back so fast no one will know what hit 'em haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! If you saw my driveway, you'd see how funny that is. People are constantly calling it a Forrest Gump driveway.

      Delete
  9. I would only run if something were chasing me. I am so very impressed that you not only ran once at 6:30, but that you ran TWICE. Hey, you can put one of those stickers on your van like the marathon runners do! But instead of 26.2 in the oval, yours can say <.5(It's a start.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT is hilarious! They really should have those bumper stickers for more than just those silly marathoners.

      Delete
  10. GOOD FOR YOU!! You are a runner! :) You have to start somewhere!

    I am a walker! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, you've got more discipline that I do. I have a treadmill which is more often used as a clothes horse than for it's intended purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not a runner but if you do run a race I will be your best cheerleader I will be the friend under the pink umbrella (to keep the sun away) with the bull horn cheering you on. I am sure you will appreciate it way more than O appreciates it.
    I will be your cheerleader.
    I will yell "you've got this" I don't know why I yell that to O, what exactly does she "got?"
    I will yell "come on take this girl, you can pass her" which actually terrifies the girl she is going to pass, you should see the look in her eyes.
    I will yell "you are awesome"
    I will yell "you did it" when you finish.
    I have NO idea why O hates that I have a bull horn and cheer for her under the pink umbrella. Maybe I should get a different umbrella. It was $2.50 from IKEA.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well good for you! I use to be a runner. As a kid I loved running, probably for the same reason Forest Gump ran...just because. I use to do some of my best thinkin while jogging. I let it go when the first baby was born, but picked it up again when I was 40. The hubby jogs every day so we really enjoyed our morning runs. Then at 45 the pain from my left knee and right hip, due to Osteoarthritis, became so unbearable and my knee kept going out from under me, that I worried I might fall down on our rock covered mountain roads and not be able to get back up. I switched to walking (much slower and not up and down hills) and he still jogs, so we don't do it together anymore, I sure miss that.

    So I am proud of you for getting back at it. Be proud of yourself every day that you are a 6:30am runner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on getting into some running! I find running so damned hard. I can do an elliptical, but if I hit the treadmill... I'm dead after give minutes. Just keep up on it and increase how much you do.

    Just don't overdo it >.<

    PS. You brain is a punk...

    Jak at The Cryton Chronicles & Dreams in the Shade of Ink

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's been over 2 months now that I've started to exercise since ummmmm forever! Haven't seen any results. Exercise SUCKS!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!