I am having the hardest time with Stasha's Monday Listicles today. The topic is 10 Ways That I am Great. I don't like listing the ways that I'm great. I much prefer making fun of myself. I have tried to come up with funny ways that I'm great. Things like "I am great at not beating my children when they annoy the tar out of me." I started listing things that I am great at doing, but have no real value anymore. Things like "I am great at cleaning up a baby who has had a diaper explosion at a public place while simultaneously keeping a toddler and a preschooler from playing in the public restroom toilets." It had value at the time, but now, not so much.
I began thinking about why I am having such a hard time with the topic. It's not that I don't know I have talents. Let's just say that I've never had low self-esteem issues. I'm even very uncomfortable when other people point out my good qualities. I'm glad they notice, but I start to squirm when they tell me.
Partly, no one likes a braggart.
Partly, even though I have talents, others are better, and why toot a horn that's not the loudest?
At least this topic is making my think. Using the brain for things besides remembering when Duck Dynasty is on.
Without further ado (or stalling techniques) I give you 10 Ways that I'm Greatish.
1. I can rock a read-aloud. Kids can't help but be enthralled when I read to them.
2. I can solve problems. Any kind. Because I love to. Doesn't make me very good at just listening to people vent, though. I always want to help them fix the problem.
3. I can make decisions quickly. For example, I chose the color for the new kitchen in 5 minutes. I chose the floor, counter, and cabinets in a total of 30 minutes. Either I like it or I don't. Either it matches or it doesn't. Choose and move on, I say. (OK, so it took a while for me to choose the lights, but only because I couldn't find any that matched my criteria.)
4. I can keep my mouth shut. I have a vault. I use it. People need not fear that I will spread their secrets.
5. I can find the humor and the good in most situations. Which is helpful, in that I love nothing more than to laugh.
6. I can get over irritation quickly. I don't hold grudges. Mostly because I am good at putting myself in the other person's position and seeing her side.
7. I can lead a group of people. I didn't know I could do this until I agreed to be PTO president for two years. It was one of the best things I ever did.
8. I can play just about any sport reasonably well. There are a couple that I can play really well.
9. I can follow a recipe very well. People think I can cook, but they are mistaken. Cooking is something very different. I don't cook. I follow a recipe.
10. I am generous. With all that I have. I have literally given the coat off my back. I am certain that I have not been blessed with what I have to keep to myself. My time, my talents, my possessions are to be used to help others.
I'm glad that's over.
I now have a strong desire to list 10 Things that I Suck At. Just to balance things out a bit.
11. I am great at procrastinating.
Have a lovely day!