Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Anyone Seen the Shovel? Or the Dogs? Or the Driveway?

The weather men and women are in their glory.

It's Blizzard 2012, people!  (Why aren't other storms named like hurricanes are?  Blizzard 2012 is a pretty lame moniker.)

All over town, low folks on the totem pole are standing out in the snow, letting us know just how bad the weather is. 

They have their shovels.  They have their yardsticks.  They're bundled up to say things like, "I'm on the corner of 31 and 65, not that you'd know it.  I can't even see 65!"

They're measuring the snowfall, live, in several locations.  Like Grover in the Sesame Street episode, they move back and forth, always measuring.  Near...far...near...far.

The doofuses are out, getting their 15 minutes of fame when they are interviewed from the ditches in which they are stuck.  "I didn't think it was going to be this bad out here."

We were supposed to be driving home from Ohio today, but last night we decided differently.

Here in the north, we have lots of words for snow, flurries and snow showers being the most frequently used.  When the weather people started to pull out the blizzard word, we knew we needed to change our plans. 

We hastily packed up the van and headed out of Canton at 8:30 last night.   Arriving home at 1:30 am, we beat the snow by 4 hours.

Best decision we ever made.  Wind and snow are so much prettier from the comforts of home than from a cramped van crawling on the freeway.

The only problem we have is lack of food.  Even 24 hour grocery stores close for Christmas, so nothing was open on our drive home.  We have a few glasses of milk and 2 loaves of bread.  Fortunately, we were given plenty of Christmas cookies and candy to hold us over.

Some photos:


I once heard a comedian say, "Northerners have picnic tables, not to actually picnic, but to see how deep the snow is without having to go outside."  True, dat.

I have to take photos from inside, as the snow has blown and drifted in front of the door.  I can't even open it to get a photo.
On one side of our house, the wind has blown the snow directly onto the windows.
My favorite tree on the property.  Just wanted a photo.
The kids just came in to say, "There's a whole in the window and it is snowing in the house."  Apparently, something hit the window, as the glass is inside the house.  Add "glass man" to the list of people to call.

Today, we are having a wonderful day relaxing at home.  We're watching old home videos.  We're playing with new toys.  I'm sure once the storm passes by, the kids will be outside building and digging and throwing and sledding. 
 
It's a great day to be snowed in.
 
Have a lovely day!

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I can agree that the snow is beautiful, as I don't have to go anywhere in it. By Friday, I will be ready for it to melt.

      Delete
  2. Glad you made it home safely ahead of the storm!! I love the look of snow, but I'd be happy if it just came down late on Christmas Eve once everyone was settled where they were going - was on the ground Christmas day and then disappeared!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I've said the same thing for years. I like the snow for a day or so, but then it just gets dirty and annoying.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that the weather people were full-out BEAMING that morning on air. I do have to laugh though that after living in Wisconsin, this isn't THAT much snow....;) If it isn't up to my kids' waists, it's not a blizzard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might have been a stretch calling it a blizzard, but I'm glad they did. We probably wouldn't have come home if it was just a snow storm.

      Delete
  4. LOL. I took a picture of Mom's pinic table today just to show the height of the snow on it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!