Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Kitchen Update - We're Cooking Now!

And by cooking, I don't mean actually cooking.  I mean things are moving along in the kitchen.  The oven is still in plastic in the piano room.  And the sink, faucet, and microwave are still in boxes by the front door.

However, the floor is in, the walls are painted, and the cabinets came today!!!

I'm so excited I think I may abandon Hubby and sleep in the kitchen with the cabinets tonight. 

As I've said before, I make decisions very quickly.  Thirty minutes to choose the cabinets, floor, and counter top.  As the time gets closer to installation, I get more and more concerned that nothing will go together and I made a horrible, expensive, unchangeable mistake.

Let's just say I've been rather anxious for about two weeks now.

No more, my friends!

The floor:


The drawer:


Was that mean?  Tell me about it.  I was all excited to see the floor, and they had completely covered it in paper.  And the cabinets were in boxes.

Have no fear, there are bits showing for me to give you a hint as to what the final room will look like.

I really wish I had my good camera to take these photos.  Unfortunately, it has gone one strike and won't take any.  While it gets its much needed tune-up, I have to resort to my camera. 

Keep in mind that these aren't the true colors.  The sun was setting, so no natural light.

The island drawers:


The kitchen floor:


The mudroom floor:


Vinyl has come a long way, people.

The trim and wall color:


It really isn't sunshine yellow.  It is called Harvest Gold.

And a view of the room that will change my life:

The mudroom with a whole bunch of kitchen cabinets in it.


Holy Storage, Batman!

They will be able to template the counter on Friday, which puts us at a completed kitchen on December 21.

We are leaving for Ohio on the 22nd.

Crud and double crud.

No Christmas baking for us this year.

And really, not many Christmas decorations at all.

We usually have a huge, beautiful, 12-foot tree in the piano room.

With the kitchen stuff taking over that room, no big tree this year.

We hardly have room for a Charlie Brown tree anywhere in the house.

And even if we did, the last thing I want to do is pull out the Christmas decorations and add even more stuff to our horribly cluttered lives right now.  The clutter is wearing me out. 

Plus, we've had so many dentist appointments and gatherings and errands to run and basketball practices and games, and volleyball tryouts that dinner, which is hard enough to get together, is made nearly impossible.  I have said, "Find something to eat," way too many times to count.

I just keep saying, "It will be worth it.  It will be worth it."

Because, oh my word, it will be.

Have a lovely day!

14 comments:

  1. Ooooh! I can't wait to see it! We have boxes with our future kitchen cabinets sitting in the garage.... for the past 3 years. We ran out of money because of a crooked contractor. Can't get that decision back. Someday though. Someday! I'll live vicariously through you in the meantime. :)
    Where are you headed to in Ohio?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is horrible!!! There is a special place for crooked contractors.
      We grew up in Canton. Aren't you in the Cleveland area?

      Delete
    2. Yep. About 30 minutes outside of Cleveland.

      Delete
  2. It's all looking good. Hope you have a good Christmas feel in spite of all the madness in the house. Living in uproar is no fun! Can't wait to see more pics. I'm getting 'island' envy. They look so luxurious, and I just know one will never fit in our galley kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much of a Christmas feel so far, despite our constant playing of Christmas music and a reindeer craft with the little boys. Doesn't help that we're having an extremely unusual warm spell, wearing short sleeves and all.
      It has taken us 18 years of marriage to finally get a good kitchen. For the three years of law school, we had a metal galley kitchen in our married student housing apartment. The itty-bitty, ancient, under-the-counter fridge didn't work but couldn't be taken out. The real fridge was in the living room. I know horrible kitchens.
      Will your new place have a better set-up?

      Delete
  3. How exciting!!! I'm VERY jealous of that storage!!!! Our crap is thrown all over the laundry room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For over seven years we've been living with all of that crap at the front door. Change my life, this room will.

      Delete
  4. I am loving the floor and wood and wall color. Maybe I'll move in!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a relief for people to see it and like it.
      I'm sure you could fit in one of the cubbies! :)

      Delete
  5. I am totally digging how your mud room is going to come out!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just to make your day (I hope) I've nominated you for The Liebster Blog Award - there's work involved I have to say, but hopefully, you'll be rewarded by more Followers and the like: Please answer the following 11 questions
    My 11 questions now for these lovely bloggers:

    (1) Got your Christmas cards done yet?
    (2) What do you hate most in life?
    (3) Now the opposite - the best thing for you?
    (4) Dogs, Cats or Another Animal?
    (5) Favourite Carol?
    (6) Apart from Wallmart, where do you shop?
    (7) Your favourite food?
    (8) Favourite colour?
    (9) New Year’s resolution yet?
    (10) Christmas this year: home or away?
    (11) New Year wish?

    Then choose 11 bloggers already follow who have less than 200 Followers and let them know, as I am doing here, what you've been up to!

    Happy Christmas and a Great New Year! Isobel from www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh pretty! I like those mudroom colours and the Harvest Gold. It's so hard to find a nice yellow. When we renovated our condo, we painted one wall of the living room three times before we got the right one. It was maddening. Fortunately then when we moved to the house, we had already tested the colours and knew what we liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yellow is not an easy color if you're looking for yellow. I wasn't looking for yellow in particular, it just happened to match the counter. We got lucky. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!