Monday, September 10, 2012

I'm Afraid We're Only One Ribbed Tank Undershirt Away

I left for a few hours to take Star to a soccer game on Sunday afternoon.  When I returned, I was greeted by this...


in my front yard. 

With the number of dead animals, the number of downed trees, the lack of landscaping, and the state of our front porch, it's a wonder no one has called the authorities on us yet.  I thought all we needed to do to complete the hillbilly picture we have become was to move the broken washer and dryer from the basement to the out of doors.  Alas, I just wasn't imaginative enough.  A homeless shanty really is what our property needed to give it that lived-in look. 

But that's not all folks!  Take ten steps behind this and you will find...


the boys' quarters. 

And a few steps farther...


I don't know if this was a failed attempt or the beginning of another, more stable, more attractive shanty.  Whoever did this thought to secure the walls at least. 

I should probably start working on my speech for when the cops show up.  "Well, Officer, you see, they are really rotten kids.  If you had to live with six, loud, obnoxious ne'er-do-wells, you'd kick them out, too."

I just have to send up a thank you that the cops didn't show up last night.  I really would have had some explaining to do.


The kids decided to try out Phoenix's new air soft gun, so they quoted "A Christmas Story", donned protective gear and took off to shoot each other as many times as possible.   "Well, Officer, we encourage our children to work out their difficulties amongst themselves, and they really don't like each other.  In all fairness, I told you they were rotten."

On a related note, this has got to be one of the worst photo bombs in the history of photography.  No, Hubby is NOT trying to shoot our daughter at point-blank range. 

If you like seeing us in all of our redneck glory, just click on "the farm" in the sidebar.  There you will find all sorts of posts that would make my grandma cry from embarrassment.

Have a lovely day!

Linking up with You Know It Could Happen at Your House, Too. and My Life and Kids.

12 comments:

  1. WOW I'm just thankful that my boys are using blankets in their bedroom to make their fort. Hahahaha better hope they don't get locked out in a rain they would not stay dry. Maybe they should act out the 3 little pigs story?
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! They would all get eaten by the wolf with these shelters! What I don't get is why they choose to build them. We have five barns, for crying out loud. They already have a three-room fort in the big barn, plus a nice fort in the loft. Honestly, I'm beginning to think they are trying to make me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's hilarious. my kids build stuff in the yard too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For your sake, I hope they build normal things, like ramps. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. So funny! I have those moments when I try to think how I will explain things to the cops when they show up, too - "really officer, climbing on the roof from a nearby tree seemed perfectly safe..." Gotta love active, imaginative kids! (came from finding the funny)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you let your kids climb from trees to the roof. How irresponsible of you. Mine just climb straight up the side of the barn. Oh wait, not the back one. They do climb a tree then transfer to that barn roof. Scratch what I said. It is perfectly safe to do such a thing, and you are a good mom for letting them do it.

      Delete
  5. Yep, this seems about right. You have quite the builders in your family. Those structures look pretty sound. I am sure you LOVE having them in the front yard! At least you can keep an eye on what's going on and so can your neighbors...haha!

    This is my first time here. It looks like you all have a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in! I wish they weren't so sound. Maybe they would stop building these things and just use the barns (where they currently have two nice forts already) if a piece of wood fell on someone's head.
      And yes, we do have a lot of fun.

      Delete
  6. I would put money on your young'uns if the law dogs ever did invade your property. They look like a resourceful bunch!!! Visiting from Finding the Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They've learned a few tips from my dad, who was a policeman for over 30 years. I love that you called them young'uns. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so funny! My son is begging for an air soft gun for his birthday, but we're afraid of what the cops would say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely the most cops had them when they were little. We held off buying the guns, too. At least for the oldest child. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!