Wednesday, March 9, 2016

A Little Hodgepodge to Keep My Mind Off of CO2



March is National Women's History Month. In that vein, who are three women who've been influential in your life? How so?

I can look back and see a whole line of women and men who have influenced me. I don't know if it's possible to not learn from everyone we come across. But I was asked to name three...

1. My mom. She is a fun mom who is quick to laugh and quick to forgive.

2. My best friend in the world, Amy. For many years, we practically raised our kids together. We taught each other how to be better moms, we helped each other be better spouses, and we talked and debated religion, which helped me begin to really hammer out what I believe and why I believe it.

3. My grandmas. (I know, that's two. I can't just name one!) One who lived far away and passed away much too soon, and one who lived down the street from me in Ohio who is still have alive (91 years old!) and well. There is no question where my mom got her sense of humor. Her mother was fun, fun, fun. She could laugh in the most difficult of situations. I spent a large portion of my childhood at my dad's mom's house. We'd play cards, I'd go to Bingo with her, I'd help her get stuff done around the house, and sometimes we'd just watch TV and talk. I just talked to her today, as a matter of fact.

In what ways do you think women have it easier than men?

I don't know that they do. Men and women are different. We aren't made to compete, but to complement each other. We have different roles, but both are difficult. Bryan is the sole money maker in our house. I know there have been times where that weighed on him mightily. I am in charge of all things house and kids and schedules. There's plenty of weight in that role, too.

But, I have to answer the question. I have it easier than Bryan because doing my job means going to the zoo and hiking through the woods and playing board games.

What do you need most right now: Faith, love, hope, or peace?

Well, I've got plenty of love, surrounded by my family who are good at showing it. I'm going with faith as my answer. There's a lot of things going on in the world and a few in my home that I just need to trust God to take care of. It may be hard to get to the other side, but I have to have faith that it will all be right in the end. Knowing that, I'll have peace.

Do you have a collection? If so, what do you collect and why?

I actually wrote a post about this a couple of years ago. Before then I would have said I am absolutely not a collector, but I realized I am. You can read about them HERE. Good news, we no longer have the koozie collection. I donated them. But, we now have a gigantic plastic bag collection overtaking the mud room.

Plaids, checks, polka dots, and stripes...your favorite?

I'm not opposed to any of them, but I do only have polka dots and stripes in my wardrobe, in both shirts and dresses.

In what ways are you the same as your childhood self?

Pretty sure my personality hasn't changed, but you'd have to ask my parents or even Bryan, seeing as how we met when I was only 15. I'm the same, but I've learned to tone myself down. For example, I still have opinions and am not worried about expressing them, I've just learned to do it in a better way, or not say anything at all if that is the best way to handle a situation.

You're a contestant on the game show "Jeopardy". What category will you ace?

Um, maybe board games? Or picture books? I know how to play lots of different sports, but don't ask me who did any of them professionally. Thanks to my kids, I also know a lot about smells and burps and weird ways to break things (both household items and bones). I could do well in those categories, too.

Insert your own random thought here.

Is it normal for family members not to tell each other about medical issues or is it just my family? My dad had some cancerous cells removed from near his ear. It was done in a hospital because they were  going to have to take so much out, they'd need a piece of his leg to repair it. I didn't know it was happening until my stepmom posted a photo of him in his hospital gown lying on a gurney.

A sibling's spouse spent a night in the hospital being tested for internal bleeding. I found out from my mom, only because I happened to call her when my niece was getting picked up from her house.

A few years ago, my mom was fighting cancer a mere 3 months after having 2 heart stents put in. She had some major complications, but I didn't know a thing about it until she was on her way out of the hospital 3 days later.

I had oral surgery and a house that is poisoning us with carbon dioxide, and I haven't told any family besides my mom. My dad found out about it from my blog posts.

Yet, in just the last week I've talked with them about what size suit coat I should get for Phoenix and some things relating to my dad's life insurance.

Is this normal behavior for families who generally like each other and frequently contact each other about a variety of things?

Just curious.

If you want to join in, hop on over to Joyce's to link your post up!

Have a lovely day!

25 comments:

  1. I know my kids have accused me of not keeping them in the loop in regards to medical stuff, so I'm going to say yes. I'm trying to communicate better.

    I'm clearly not fully caught up with blog reading--your house is poisoning you?! Hope you can get that figured out soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, listening to your kids' concerns and trying to improve. :)

      It will be fixed very soon.

      Delete
  2. I think we keep things from our family so they don't worry. We're dealing with that issue right now with my husbands 96 year old mother. Some things it's better not to tell her.

    Yes women and men are different and we should not compete with each other. We should compliment each other. It's the way it works in your house and it's the way it works in our house.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense, and I can see how lots of people would feel that way.

      It works very well, too. :)

      Delete
  3. We definitely keep health issues to ourselves to prevent others from worrying, although if you're going to do that, it's good form to notify people when all is well to prove there was no sense in worrying EVERYONE about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is probably a very common reason. With my oral surgery, I didn't even put that much thought into it. I didn't see it as a thing for anyone to worry about. It was a pretty straight-forward thing with no risk of dire consequences, so it didn't cross my mind to tell my dad. Only to write about it. :)

      Delete
  4. praying for the problem with your house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh. I think we're pretty up front about medical stuff in my family. You know what my original family doesn't much do? Say I love you. Now that's weird. It's not anything any of us wonder about (at least I never have). I've always felt loved and loving. But it's extremely rare that any of us say it. Now, with Brian and my kids, we're all about it. I do think that's better. But the other way never hurt me either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, that's how my family used to be. We never, ever said I love you. That is, until the last year or two. I'm pretty sure my parents and I started saying it at the end of phone conversations only after I mentioned on the blog that we never do. Maybe you just need to write about it! :)

      Delete
  6. Well all your answers are interesting, Christine, but that last one really made me think. We are a lot like that in our family. Personally, in our case, we tend to be a bunch of introverts who don't like to bother anyone or get too personal. It is kinda crazy, isn't it! I also agree about the men/woman answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is crazy! Interesting thought about it being because you're introverts. That definitely applies to my sister and her lack of communication. As for the rest of us, not so much. We're obnoxious extroverts. :)

      Delete
  7. Well all your answers are interesting, Christine, but that last one really made me think. We are a lot like that in our family. Personally, in our case, we tend to be a bunch of introverts who don't like to bother anyone or get too personal. It is kinda crazy, isn't it! I also agree about the men/woman answer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My maternal grandmother was really influential to me. She was a hoot and I think I got my sense of humor from her. Dang, we are all out in the open with medical issues in our family because everybody asks my husband for medical advice, even though he's a plastic surgeon and not a real doctor. Tehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to be remembered as being a hoot by my grandkids. :)

      Ha! That is hilarious! And I have no problem believing it. We know about our family's legal issues, 'cause everyone asks Bryan for free legal advice on all legal things, even though he has only done corporate law and has never stepped foot in a courtroom. :)

      Delete
  9. In our family, we keep some medical stuff to ourselves and share other stuff with others. I do think it's totally normal not to want to worry the ones you love. However, I also think that it's good to share our worries and concerns because others can help lighten then.

    Now, I'm wondering who in my family has medical isses they haven't told me about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't even cross my mind until some of you said it was because family didn't want to worry anyone. Makes perfect sense, though. I have gotten on people for not sharing info for fear of worrying or burdening me. That is what family and friends are for!

      Haha!! No kidding! :)

      Delete
  10. My hubs family tends not to tell until after the fact. We had a stern talking to with his parents about this : ) We let them know if somebody's having a medical procedure or an ambulance ride please call us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, a stern talking to is necessary. :)

      Delete
  11. In our family, it seems like everyone knows everyone else's business - including medically, except my mom, who doesn't like to burden us with all of her many issues. She worries that she is complaining too much. Which may actually have a little validity to it lol, but all of her (many and weird) health issues are legit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I completely understand not wanting to burden others with their chronic health issues. I went through a good number of years with some unknown malady, and I often just told people I was fine. I got tired of talking about it.

      Delete
  12. I rarely tell my family anything ... if its health related for me; a family member passed away last summer and basically she told my husband she was fine and in good health up until she was admitted in hospice. I guess it is common.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! THAT is someone who didn't want to worry or burden others!

      From the responses here, it seems to be VERY common!

      Delete
  13. I think my mum's side of the family are better connected and all know each others business. My dad's side of the family are very remote, and I don't think some of them even call one another for months or years at a time.

    Glad you're keeping your mind off the CO2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess when you live with your sister, it's a lot harder to hide things. A person has no trouble telling the family about her sister's health issues, even when she would never tell the family about her own. :)

      Yes, my mind was definitely off the CO2. The painters were working in the house today and did a whole lot of sanding apparently. When we got home, the entire house was covered in a layer of dust. I could taste it in the air. I actually said, "Well, the carbon dioxide didn't kill us, but the dust just might!"

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!