Part of me wants to simply write, "I am thankful that we survived this week." and be done with this post. There are two problems with that idea.
1. The week isn't quite over. There is still a chance we won't actually survive. There are still many activities in the next 2 days. The lack of sleep has already caused me to get sick, and the kids are looking mighty ragged.
2. Ya'll wouldn't get to hear about the things making this such a busy week. And as we all know, there is nothing better than a blog post about how busy someone is. :)
So, the thankfuls...
1. I am thankful that I stocked up on toilet paper a few weeks ago. I blew through every Kleenex we had in the house, in my purse, and in the van, but didn't have time to go to the store to get more until Thursday. The roll of toilet paper I carried around the house with me got the job done.
2. I am thankful that God had the foresight to create us with a Plan B for breathing. As I lay in bed at night, doing some lip-drying, thirst-making mouth breathing, I was acutely aware of God's genius in this matter.
3. I am thankful for all of those toothpaste samples from the dentist I found in the great bathroom cabinet clean-out. I used the last of the toothpaste in the tube on Monday. Each little sample tube could last us a day or so. (See #1 about not having time to go to the store.)
4. I am thankful for our posse who will help us with rides for our kids. Regardless of how much I would like to be, I can't be at four different places at the same time. We had at least one person driving at least one of our kids somewhere every single night this week. Bless them all.
5. I am thankful that Turken is only in kindergarten. Several nights this week, we couldn't get the little kids home to bed before 9:00. Their bedtime is normally 7:30. I let Turken sleep in and miss school completely one day, and he went in late another. As far as I'm concerned, sleep is way more important than kindergarten. Too bad for the big kids, middle school and high school can't be skipped so easily.
6. I am thankful for Phoenix's decision to be Confirmed. (For non-Catholic readers, this is the third and final Sacrament of Initiation into the Catholic Church.) He has gone through many classes and meetings and retreats and talks to make sure this is a step he truly wants to make. Being Confirmed doesn't mean a person has finally arrived and can take it easy. In fact, it means he has committed himself to continual learning and working to spread and live his faith in work and deed. It's no small thing, and I'm proud to see him choosing this.
|Phoenix with his Confirmation sponsor and the archbishop
7. I am thankful for our great seats at Phoenix's Confirmation. The Mass was held downtown at the gorgeous cathedral (45 minutes from our house) at 7:00 on Wednesday night. While the seats were OK for their proximity to the altar and all the "goings on", they were most appreciated for their proximity to an exit. At 8:00, after Phoenix had been anointed, Bryan was able to scoot out with the exhausted little boys and get them home to bed.
8. I am thankful for kind, generous folks. Our grocery store of choice has a mechanical horse for the kids to ride, and it only costs a penny. I have always used it as a reward for good behavior while I shop. Oftentimes, when we get to the horse we find this:
Grandmas and grandpas are constantly leaving pennies for kids to use.
9. I am thankful that in the 10 minutes I had for housework this week, I chose to clean the bathrooms instead of scrubbing the kitchen floor. They both desperately needed cleaned, but I had to make a choice. To illustrate the desperateness...At the doctor's office, Cuckoo needed to use the restroom. As we walked in, he said, "This is the bathroom? It's so clean! Why is it so clean? How do they get it so clean?" On and on he went about the cleanliness of the bathroom. Apparently, it has been so long since our bathroom was cleaned, he forgot what it was supposed to look like. Anyway, I had 10 minutes while Cuckoo ate breakfast on Friday, and I chose to rectify the bathroom situation instead of the gross floor situation. As I was finishing up, Cuckoo stood up from the table and spewed all over the kitchen floor. I would have been mighty ticked off if that would have happened on a freshly scrubbed floor.
10. I am thankful for our school's music teacher. She is brilliant when it comes to getting kids to do things outside of their comfort zone. This year, there are 73 kids performing "The Wizard of Oz" for the middle school musical. The kids she chose for the main parts were shocking to most of us, but she was spot on. The first show was Thursday night, and it was marvelous. They have all worked terribly hard for the last couple of months, and it shows. Buttercup and Star are in it, and they have had so much fun.
I suppose I should have included, "I'm thankful for our pigs," seeing as how we got them this week. Maybe I'll say it next week. This week, I just see it as one more thing to take care of several times each day. They are cute, though. We've never before gotten them when they were this small.
Alrighty, it's your turn. What has you feeling grateful this week?
Have a lovely weekend!
A Fly on our (Chicken Coop) Wall, Amycake and the Dude, Considerings, Finding Ninee, Getting Literal, I Want Backsies, Mother of Imperfection, Rewritten, Thankful Me, The Wakefield Doctrine