Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Planning the garden

Amongst the ice and snow, we have been dreaming of spring.  And nothing says spring like a garden!  We made our seed/plant order today, and I am so excited for the ground to thaw so we can get started.  Visions of green beans, lettuce, strawberries, potatoes, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, carrots, blueberries, watermelon, and garlic are dancing in my head.  We are all tired of the store-bought food.  With the rabbit trouble this year, we ran out of our green beans long ago.  Some sort of blight took out most of our tomatoes, so we are having to buy salsa now, too.  All we have left are pickles, apples, and pears. 

Spring also means pigs!  We usually get them the week after spring break (first or second week of April).  That is always fun for the kids.  We'll be talking to our farmer friend to find out how many we'll be able to get this year.

We'll also be getting a new flock of chicks.  We'll probably wait until May to get them, though.  I do not want chickens flying around my basement this time around.  That will mean we will finally get to stop buying eggs somewhere around Sept.  I can't wait!

I have always loved spring, but this year it will be extra nice.  This winter has about done me in.  It is only 10 degrees outside!  I am currently sitting in my warmest clothes with a robe over top.  Have mercy!  I am not made for this cold.  I'm actually looking forward to mowing the lawn, raking up the clippings, trimming trees, and weeding the garden.  I won't even mind feeding the pigs in a complete downpour.  At least I'll be warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!