SCHOOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER!!!!! I love summer.
2. We spent the entire day with friends. The kids only had to go to school for 3 hours on Friday, so there was plenty of time for fun. I started with breakfast with my book club. After picking up all the children, we spent 4 hours at a park with approximately 10 other moms and their kids. We came home for a quick nap and feeding of the animals (the actual animals ate, the kids and I napped) before heading out for an evening of backyard bonfires and fellowship at another friend's house. As the parents sat around the fire, the 15 or so kids were all out in the yard playing a game. It was a perfect summer evening start to our break.
3. On Wednesday, the newly graduated 8th graders had their trip to Kings Island in Cincinnati, Ohio. (amusement park 2 hours away). At around 5:00, some major storms rolled into Indy, causing all outdoor activities to be cancelled. The storm never made it to Cincinnati. So, the boys and I had an unexpected night off at home to play games and relax, but Buttercup was able to have a great time riding the roller coasters to her heart's content.
4. Buttercup amazes me. At her graduation Mass this week, she played the piano beautifully. She also received several awards. There were two that I was most happy to see. First, she was the only 8th grader (out of 65 or so kids) to get a perfect 4.0 for the year. While she is a bright girl, that GPA tells more about her work ethic. She worked hard to get it. She also received the Christian Attitude Award. The recipients of this award are not chosen by the teachers, but by the students. I can't wait to see all of the good things she does as she gets older.
5. Turken's collar bone is healing up nicely. He has gone a week without the sling and has done very well. He fully participated in the school's field day, and last night at the party (I hear) he was hitting a baseball. He'll be getting an x-ray this week to make sure all is well, but I'm pretty sure he's back to his old self.
6. I was able to walk without crutches yesterday. I did't walk far, and it wasn't pretty, but I walked. If you would have asked me 2 weeks ago if I thought I would ever walk again, I might have said no. It astounding how well our bodies can heal themselves, even after "major trauma". (That's what my surgeon said my knee had suffered.)
7. I found a surgeon who comes highly recommended. I met him this week, and I have a much better understanding of how things are going to go. I start physical therapy on Tuesday in order to get my full range of motion back before my big trip to England and the subsequent surgery.
8. If I would have had this injury happen 15 years ago, I would be in a very different, worse situation. With new, less invasive methods of surgery, my knee will be totally fixed up with a relatively short recovery time. Fifteen years ago, the ACL wouldn't even have been fixed, and I'd have a huge scar from the surgery to fix the meniscus.
9. I am not able to do much with this knee injury. Thank the Lord above that I can still drive. Misery would have befallen the lot of us if I wasn't able to drive.
10. My grandma is a corker. I love her to pieces. I had a nice, long chat with her this week, and she had me laughing my full head off.
So, how was your week? What made you laugh, smile, or cry tears of joy?
Have a lovely day!
A Fly on our (Chicken Coop) Wall, Amycake and the Dude, Considerings, Finding Ninee, Getting Literal, I Want Backsies, Mother of Imperfection, Rewritten, Thankful Me, The Wakefield Doctrine