Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A Cookie By Any Other Name Is Inferior. And not as Funny.

As promised, the Snickerdoodle recipe.  (Isn't that a funny name for a cookie?)

As usual, I just can't give you a recipe.  There has to be distractions, commentary to entertain, and tips to help you make the best darn cookie ever invented.  Basically, I write in a way which prevents you from simply pushing "print page" to get the recipe.  :)

I make these more than any other cookie, not just because they taste delicious, but because they are the PERFECT cookie to make with little kids.  Cuckoo and I made them last week, because Giant wanted to take them into his class for his birthday.  Buttercup saw these photos and said, "Oh, I remember making those.  I loved rolling the cookies in the sugar!"

Make them with little children.

I don't care if you have to pull one off the street.  Involve a child.

Onward...

The original recipe is from my mom.  My tips are in italics.

Mix the following:

1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs

Sift:  Ha!  I don't own a sifter and have never sifted in my life.

2 3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tarter
1/2 teaspoon salt

Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet, mixing as you go.  The last half cup may kill your mixer, seeing as how this is one thick dough.  If your mixer starts to smoke, unplug it and finish mixing with a spoon.)

Cover and chill in refrigerator.  I usually make the dough before going to bed, then bake the cookies in the morning, but you and the cookies can chill for as little as 2 hours.


 
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
 
Stir together 2 Tablespoons sugar and 1 Tablespoon cinnamon on a small plate.
 
Roll the dough into balls the size of walnuts.  I use a spoon to scrape the dough out of the bowl, then simply roll it around between my hands to round it out.   (Like you couldn't have figured that out.)
 
 
THIS IS WHERE THE KIDS COME IN!!!!
 
 
Have the kids roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar until they (the balls, not the kids) are completely covered.
 
 
 
Place the cinnamon-sugared balls onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet a few inches apart.
 
 
 
While taking photos of cookie sheet, realize the early morning sun is casting a lovely shadow on the golden wall of the kitchen.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes.
 
Go back to taking photos of the flower while they bake.
 
The photo is from Phoenix.  He is a Boy Scout and last week earned his next level in scouting, Life.  The Boy Scouts are very much about honoring their mothers, so whenever a boy reaches a new level, he gives his mom a pin.  At Life, she also gets a rose and a promise to give her the other 11 out of the dozen when he gets his Eagle (the next, and highest, level).

 
Then get back to making cookies.
 
WARNING!!!!!
 
Your child helper will very likely have licked his fingers after the last cookie went on the cookie sheet before going in the oven.  You will want to wash his hands between each and every tray!!!
 
After (usually) 9 minutes, the cookies will appear dry, but not brown.  Take them out of the oven.  I leave them on the stovetop (burners off!) on the cookie sheet for another minute.  The cookies will deflate a bit and finish their cooking process on the stovetop.
 
 
Sometimes, as I put the cookies in the oven, they roll a bit.  The cookies will run together, but who the heck cares?  They still taste delicious.  And show that they are homemade.
 
Move the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely before putting them in a storage container.
 
 
Or in your mouth.
 
He's saying, "This is the best cookie I have ever had!" 
 
This recipe made about 4 dozen cookies.
 
Enough for each of Giant's classmates, teachers, siblings, parents, and soccer teammates to have a cookie.
 
They were begging for more.
 
Because these cookies are THE BEST!
 
Let me know if you try them.
 
Have a lovely day!
 


39 comments:

  1. My favorite part of this is that Cuckoo is wearing Christmas pajamas in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny...I didn't even notice. Cute!

      Delete
    2. Crud! I noticed that when I downloaded the photos, but forgot to mention it in the post!

      Delete
    3. I noticed the jammies and the christmas plate. Which is fine since Christmas is only 96 days away, might as well start planning ahead!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, this post makes me realize that I have never ever made snickerdoodles. My standby when I do make cookies (which is NOT often enough if you ask my kids) is chocolate chip.

    This recipe reminds me a little bit of my grandma's (and her mom before her, I think) recipe for molasses crinkles. I used to make them more when the kids were younger...they loved to roll the balls (<---there I said it now too!!) in the sugar AND put a dot of water on each ball (this helps in the "crinkling" method, I guess).(and I said it again!)

    Hmmm, I really should bake more often... I am going to try this recipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't help but smile or giggle each and every time I say that word.

      I've never heard of molasses crinkles. TWO things for the kids to do! Share the recipe?

      Try it. Tell me what you think!

      Delete
    2. I think I am going to try the snickerdoodles today. I hope...but the day is really getting away from me so far, so... we'll see.

      Definitely .. here's the recipe:

      Grandma Mac's Molasses Crinkles

      Mix together:
      3/4 Cup shortening
      1 Cup brown sugar
      1 egg
      1/4 Cup molasses

      Mix together:
      2 1/4 Cup flour
      2 tsp baking soda
      1/4 tsp salt
      1/2 tsp (ground) cloves
      1 tsp cinnamon
      1 tsp ginger

      Mix dry & wet ingredients together. Chill dough.
      Roll into *balls*, dip in sugar, place cookies on sheet & 'dot' each *ball* with water.

      Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.
      (Recipe from my Great Grandma McFarland)

      It's been a long, long while since I've made them, so I can't think of any tips to give you, but I would imagine a lot of the same things apply as with the snickerdoodles. ;) You will have to be sure to tell me if you try them and how they turn out. They are a lot like 'ginger snaps', I suppose. ;)

      Delete
    3. *sniff* I still haven't gotten a chance to make snickerdoodless... I had such high hopes... *sigh* *boo...* ;( Soon, I hope... soon...

      Delete
  3. I might actually have to try this one (I am so not a baker - did I ever confess that I've never made muffins or cupcakes in my life? ouch) because it looks so easy and fun. Also, I almost panicked when I read this: Move the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely before putting them in a storage container.
    Until I read "or in your mouth." I was like wait WHAT? Who would make cookies, cool them and put them in a storage container??? :)
    Plus, if I make them, I can tell Tucker to "roll the balls gently" and who doesn't want to say that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, unless the two of you can eat 4 dozen cookies in one sitting (and if you can, bravo!) you will probably need to store some of them.

      I'm sure, with time, you will come up with a whole lot more (and better) than that. :)

      Delete
  4. Dang, look at those perfect little balls!!!! You are teaching your children invaluable skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing, Christine! Is there a way to substitute cream of tartar? I don't think we have something like that in Germany..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can leave out both the cream of tartar and baking soda, and use baking powder alone. It should give you similar results. I think the only difference might be the cookies won't spread out quite as far. They may need to cook 10 minutes.

      Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Nope! Without the cream of tartar, they are just cinnamon sugar cookies. But those are good, too, so why not? The cream of tartar is what gives snickerdoodles their characteristic tang. Perhaps you could add a little lemon juice or vinegar to make up for it. I would try 2 tablespoons (1 fluid ounce).

      Delete
  6. These look really good...in spite of the fact that they don't contain chocolate. They can't all be perfect. ;)

    I also noticed that Cuckoo was wearing his Christmas pjs...but my thought wasn't "Oh he's wearing them in September"...my thought was "Wow, she's really be waiting a long time to write this post!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!! I love you, because you thought I would actually remember I had photos for a post from back at Christmastime! No, we wear holiday garb all year long. Haven't you seen my kids in Halloween clothing in December and Christmas shirts in March? They have been. :)

      Delete
    2. Well, if you had a friend to keep track of such things and who would, perhaps, put notes under your name in the contact section of her email...you might then.

      BTW, the dog's brush is on the shelf above Buttercup's cubby in the mud room :)

      Delete
    3. I went back and looked...part of my confusion about when it took place also stems from the plate he's using: also Christmas.

      No judging...I do understand...just explaining my case, Your Honor. :)

      Delete
  7. One of my favorite cookies. Thanks for the recipe.

    Love the rose. Beautiful.

    Have a fabulous day. I only took a couple of the cookies. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard of these but never known what they are. But sugar and cinnamon is a classic mix. Thanks for the recipe. The photo with the cookie balls and the flower shadow is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't know what a snickerdoodle was? I can't say they are crack-like pretzel bark, but they are yummy.

      Thanks. The light that morning was superb.

      Delete
  9. Hehe, you said doodle...

    Sorry, I'm feeling a bit like a 12 year old at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't believe you didn't mention the number of times I said balls... :)

      Delete
  10. I will DEFINITELY have to make these! I love snickerdoodles!

    BTW - you mentioned on my blog that I have a lot of crazy billboards in my neck of the woods! Actually, I took pictures of signs from all over the U.S. from when we were on the road traveling in our RV. Today's photo was taken somewhere in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! How are your photos organized? By town? By category (like "signs")?

      Delete
  11. My family loves snickerdoodles but I admit that they don't wash their hands between every tray. Here is hoping that 350 degrees kills germs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remind me never to eat anything your kids help you make, just in case. :)
      My grandma and her family are the cleanest germaphobes to ever walk this earth. We wash our hands A LOT around here. (We don't clean, but we wash our hands.) :)

      Delete
    2. That was the thing that jumped out at me from this post! I wanted to commend you for it. Like your grandma, I am a germaphobe!

      Delete
  12. I love your commentary during the recipe. If I ask my kids to roll the balls, I will get lots of snickers (balls is a very funny word in my house). Maybe that's where the name came from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      Mine do, too. We actually drove 40 minutes out of our way on a road trip once just to get a photo in front of a park called "Balls Falls".

      Delete
  13. I am going to have to try these!!! I'll let you know if I get arrested for grabbing a kid off the street. Yea...like R's gonna want to touch cookie dough. Haahaa!

    BTW...you take great photos! Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't imagine R will be a part of it, before Operation IFO is over at least. :)

      Thank you!

      Delete
  14. You know what I think of those cookies...
    My sister refuses to bake with me or decorate cookies because I am the hand washing police. One lick and it is off to the soap and water... while my MIL {bless her heart} licks her fingers every time between every pan and no washing, even while serving cake she uses her finger to push the cake off the cutter then licks her finger before the next slice of cake if I don't get the first slice I won't eat cake at her house! Same with anything that gets "stuck" on the spoon or server...
    but
    CONGRATULATIONS to Phoenix on the promotion in scouts! That is a great accomplishment and not many boys make it to the end! Good for him!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I came over for more cookies. I'm going to eat all of these at some point. Are you going to bake more? I thought so.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have got to try this recipe - does a grown-u daughter count as a child? {grin}

    ReplyDelete
  17. my mom made these all the time when I was a kid. Loved coming home to them after school. Back then, I was the one rolling the dough in the sugar. I licked my fingers often. in fact, probably every cookie had my germs on it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!