Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Musings from the Minibus, Part 2

I'm all for polite.  I like polite.  I like people who think of others.  Except when those polite people are making bone-headed decisions that puts us all in danger.

There are many things polite drivers do that are problematic, but one makes me crazy.

For the love, people, if you are in the right lane of a busy, four lane road, do not, DO NOT stop to allow a person to make a left-hand turn if the inside lane isn't also stopped.  Oh the number of times I've clenched in horror as a car eeks out into traffic, unaware that a car is barrelling down on him.  Especially when that left-hand turner is on his phone, not really paying attention.

Oh, the bundle of nerves I am, while they go along their merry stupid ways. 

If someone in a great big silver 12-passenger van blocks you in when you are trying to make a left-hand turn onto a busy four lane road, just give a thank you nod and wave.  And no, I don't mean a one-fingered wave.  To you, it may look like I'm being a jerk, not letting you out like that.  I'm OK with you disliking me. (Just ask my teens.)  But I will know that I very well may have just saved your stupid life.

********************

One more musing for today.  This one isn't mine, but is an observation that Phoenix made.

We were next to a truck, a common truck that I have seen a hundred times, and didn't think anything of it.



Until Phoenix asked, "Why did they put a picture of a guy tooting on the back of that truck?"

I don't know which makes me laugh harder, the person tooting on the back of the truck or the fact that my 14 year old son said "tooting".

I love that boy.

To my American readers, have a wonderful Thanksgiving, full of family love and fun with little to no family drama.  I pray you have safe travels with little to no whining.  Eat well, with little to no weight gain.  I hope you have some great Black Friday shopping deals with little to no punching in the face.

To my non-American readers, will you also have crazy people in spandex fighting over the three $10 big screens in Wal-Mart?  What about insane adults duking it out over some Tickle Me Dancing Karaokeing Texting Elmo?  Just curious.

Have a lovely rest of your week!

If you would like to read the first installment of Musings from the Minibus, go here.

6 comments:

  1. As a non-American reader, I have no idea what you just asked me! But probably not, as we don't have Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how happy that makes me. Black Friday is the "official" start of the Christmas shopping season. The stores advertise big sales on must-have items, but only stock 5 of them. An insane mob of people gather to wait for the doors to open, then push, grab, argue, and fight over those five items.
      I'm so glad our crazy has not seeped into other countries.
      For the record, I do not participate in the Black Friday festivities!

      Delete
  2. That tooting truck is hilarious!!!! Believe me, I stay FAR away from the stores on Black Friday. Ain't no deals good enough for me to enter that combat zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our hometown wal-mart was actually shut down because of so many people fighting and stealing. I'm with you.

      Delete
  3. Ah, tooting trucks! My kids laugh when people do their "duty." Boys;)
    Happy Thanksgiving! My Friday will be a drive home from my MIL's in Iowa--no shopping for this gal! I despise the greed of the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many boys, so many toots and toot jokes.

      I won't step foot in a store or near a store on Black Friday. Those people are crazy!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!