Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Kitchen Is Coming!

The guy building our kitchen and mud room is a genius.  I have never seen such talent in a person.  I have to admit, in the early days of this renovation, I was a bit nervous about him.  No longer, my friends.

Remember that our house is almost 150 years old.

This guy was in my house for less than five minutes.  Perhaps two.  He had no paper or pencil.  Yet he was able to duplicate the window and door frames exactly.  Almost.  I thought they were exactly, but he told me that the one piece (out of 14 around just one window!) isn't cut that size anymore and is 1/8 of an inch smaller.  Slacker.

Some not-the-best-photos-but-you-are-going-to-be-OK-with-it-because-my-real-camera-is-broken:



Oh, and he cut the wood for two windows and four doorways in one day, then assembled the frames the next.  The guy is lightening quick!

Then, he moved on to the lockers/cubbies for the mudroom.

He measured the kids' soccer bags to make sure he made them wide enough.  I thought I knew what I wanted, until I saw what he was planning. 

Holy storage, Batman!


The entire wall around the windows is going to be storage.  A total of four lockers, shelves above, benches below.  The lockers are going to have shelves/benches that line up with the ones above and below the windows. 

He isn't putting a "floor" of the lockers to make for much easier cleaning.  No lip of a shelf to block the way when I decide to mop.  Or rather, when I make a child scrub the floor.

Two more, larger lockers are on the walls next to the wall of storage.


Folks, this mud room is going to change my life.

I am so, so, so, so excited!

The kitchen sink, the faucet, and the stove are sitting in my entryway, waiting to be installed someday.

I still need to pick pendant lights, door pulls, and a microwave.

Fast.

The cupboards will be her the week of Dec. 3.

Yikes!

Have a lovely day!

12 comments:

  1. Don't you love it when a workman exceeds your expectations like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wood looks beautiful. I bet you could run you fingertips along it without getting a splinter. I hope it came from a tree in a renewable forest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all coming together real nice! Isn't it great to have a construction project that doesn't completely go awry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea. The previous owners did a whole mess of projects incorrectly. We are shocked that it was just the windows and siding that needed fixed.

      Delete
  4. I'm jealous of the mud room
    But I will still be your friend!
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see it done! I bet you can't, either, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see it done! I bet you can't, either, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see it done! I bet you can't, either, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!