Thursday, November 29, 2012

Who Knew Train and The Hoff Were Friends?

Just to warn you, I'm going to be doing some braggin' on one of my kids today.  If that's not your cup of tea, I will most likely be making fun of at least one of them tomorrow.  I'll see you then.

My birthday landed on the day before Thanksgiving this year.  We were going to be very busy, with packing the car, Grandparent's Day at school, the feast at preschool, and the loooong drive to Northeast Ohio.  The kitchen is my birthday and Christmas present, so I expected nothing but a few hugs and well wishes.

As the kids were gathering their belongings before school, my phone dinged.  I grabbed it and this message was on it:
Check your music list
Happy Birthday
 
Completely confused, I looked to Hubby.  He had no idea what was going on.
 
I went to my music, which previously had all of one song on it, to find an entire "Train" CD loaded and ready to play.  I looked around at the kids, and Phoenix had a shy little grin on his face.
 
Apparently, the night before he snuck off with my phone, used his iTunes card to buy it, then set an alarm to alert me to the fact.
 
When you hear about how self-centered teens are, know that there are plenty generous, thoughtful ones out there, too.
 
And then....
 
The last thing I did before leaving the house for our long drive was grab the mail out of the mailbox.  The results from the high school placement test Phoenix had taken a couple of weeks ago just happened to be in there.
 
I about drove off the road when he read out loud, "We are happy to inform you that of the nearly 300 students who took the test, your score was one of the top 10." 
 
Woo Hoo!!!
 
Ends up, he actually had the 4th highest score.
 
And with that score came a nice scholarship for his first year of high school.
 
Double Woo Hoo!
 
That boy got to order as many crepes as he wanted at our dinner stop that night.
 
To be able to watch this boy as he grows and matures is such a blessing.  He is kind, he is funny, he is responsible, hard-working, and thoughtful.  Turns out he's pretty darn smart, too.
 
Such happy surprises on my birthday.
 
I'll leave you with this.  Man, I do love Train.  And the video... It's got The Hoff.  If you're German, I know you're clicking over.
 
Have a lovely day!

6 comments:

  1. Aww that gave me BIG smiles :) What a sweet, smart kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Phoenix and to you too Mom! Hearing about kids and their successes large and small is always my cup of tea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So glad you like the tea I'm serving. :)

      Delete
  3. Way to go, Phoenix! Hope the celebratory crepes hit the spot.

    (If bragging about kiddos repels readers, I can only imagine the harm I've done in posting new-grandbaby photos all week long. I say, brag away!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He enjoyed the crepes immensely.
      Oh, new grandmas posting photos about her new grandbaby isn't bragging! Everyone loves a photo of a cute baby, and that granddaughter of yours is adorable!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!