Good stuff happening around here...
1. The 12 Days of Christmas are officially over, and the decorations have been put back in their boxes. Cuckoo is not happy about it. Thankfully, he's easily distracted, so the "WHY? WHY DO WE HAVE TO TAKE THE ORNAMENTS DOWN??" only lasted about 30 seconds.
2. I brought a little bit of summer to the cold winter nights by thawing some of the black raspberries I picked and froze over the summer. A cobbler with some home-whipped whipped cream hit the spot.
3. The year of "Get Stuff Done!" is going strong. (It is not a resolution. I started it last year when I hired the handyman to actually do the stuff.) This week, I bought a much needed dresser for Turken and a TV stand for the game room. For 20 years, we've had a TV sitting on a cheap, round, little table covered in a piece of pink and white striped material. It's ugly and it doesn't have the room to hold the VCR or the kids' video game console. (Yes, I said VCR. It works and we still use it!) It's way past time to replace it.
4. On Monday, while the three youngest were in school, I took the three high school kids and 5 other high school kids to the north side to do some rock wall climbing. They all had fun, and I was able to get a good workout in. (I was still sore three days later.)
5. It seems as soon as we got past the Winter Solstice, the chickens started dropping more eggs again. (Did you know that chickens mostly stop laying in the winter? Not because of the cold, but because of the lack of sunlight.) They were doing pretty well all winter, giving us 5-7 eggs each day, so I only had to buy a few dozen. Soon, we'll be back to selling again.
6. On Wednesday, I was able to have breakfast with a friend and her itty bitty baby. Snuggling with an extra-small 3 month old is a great way to start the day.
7. A bit random here, but I'm so glad our school does not and never has had required, logged reading time each day. I hear of so many parents complaining about it, and I'm guessing their kids are complaining right along with them. It may help kids learn how to read, but it certainly doesn't seem to help kids learn to love to read.
8. Including the rock wall climbing, I managed to work out 4 days this week. Today I even tried the yoga class at my gym. It's been one year since I joined the gym, and it's about time I looked into the classes. Shake things up a bit.
9. There are a few meals that all the kids and Bryan and I like.
10. While the winter is cold, and we hate that, it is also a relaxed time of year. It's the calm before the spring storm of soccer and volleyball and baseball and track and middle school musical and Sacraments and graduation and and and and and. These days, we are enjoying our free evenings to relax and play and eat dinner all together. And watch sporting events. There's always basketball and football for the boys to watch.
So, how has your first week back in reality been?
Have a lovely day!
A Fly on our (Chicken Coop) Wall, Amycake and the Dude, Considerings, Finding Ninee, Getting Literal, I Want Backsies, The Meaning of Me, Thankful Me, Uncharted, The Wakefield Doctrine
Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group