Sunday, June 14, 2015

I Can Explain! (An Answer Me This post)


1. Any big plans for the summer?

Gonna have to go with a no on that one. Last summer (We celebrated 20 years of marriage by taking a trip to Europe without kids.) is going to be our "big plans" for the next many summers. The only thing we'll be doing as a family is taking our 12th annual, week-long vacation with our friend from high school and his family. This year we're heading to Traverse City, Michigan.

2. What is the strangest thing you believed as a child?

I believed that horrible criminals who were trying to get revenge on my policeman father would come to school and kidnap my siblings and me. I had an exit plan and everything. For some reason, the kidnapping would be dramatic, with the bad guys storming into the Wednesday all-school Mass. While they waved guns and yelled and demanded obedience, I'd crawl under the pews (Thankfully, our church didn't have kneelers, so this was possible.) to collect my three siblings, and we'd escape through the side doors. I just KNEW it was going to happen and I'd have to save my (apparently) incompetent sister and brothers.

3. What is your favorite amusement park ride?

Whichever one I'm on. I love, love, love amusement parks. Unfortunately, in my old age, the wooden coasters are getting to be less fun, seeing as how they whip the riders around so much without any head and neck protection. It seems my brittle, old bones now need some support. (This does not mean that I won't try a wooden one once, though.)

4. What's on your summer reading list?

I don't have a summer reading list. Whenever I finish a book, I just go looking for one that looks good. Now that I've figured out our library's newish ebook checkouts, I'll be reading more free books. That's all I know. (Got any suggestions?)

5. Have you ever fallen asleep in public?

So, here's the thing. On Saturday morning, we were up at 4:30 to get Buttercup to the airport. I didn't get a nap before Bryan and I went to hang out with a group of our friends. We were having so much fun, we didn't realize how quickly time was passing. When someone finally looked, it was after 1:00 in the morning! And then! Cuckoo woke us up at 7:00 on Sunday.

The family went to 11:00 Mass, but I went at 5:00pm by myself (I was a Eucharistic Minister). It took everything I had to keep my eyes open. Sadly, I failed. Many times, I actually nodded off enough to have mini-dreams/halucinations during Mass! I was in the 5th pew. Who knows how many people saw my head drop and snap back to attention. I'm just gonna say that everyone assumed I was deep in prayer, not sleep.

6. What is your favorite smell?

Hmmm...freshly cut grass...hyacinth...garlic cooking in butter...chrism...Bryan...chlorine in an indoor pool...

I can't choose a favorite. (You long-time readers probably knew that was coming.)

How would you answer these questions?

Feel free to head to Kendra's to read more or link up your own post. (It's open until Tuesday.)

Have a lovely day!


14 comments:

  1. 5:44 AM and i am Frist !!!! Yay!

    great questions- great answers - you know how many times I feel the snooze coming at my desk at work. (not good) love all your favorite smells ... i would just have to add basil to your list . have a wonderful day
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Except for that part about being up at 5:44.

      No, I can't imagine it's good to start nodding off at work. Although, do you remember the photo I posted about a guy that Bryan works with? He falls asleep sitting at his desk all the time. So, it's not unheard of. :)

      Delete
  2. ok. big ick on the chlorine but otherwise!... Books: Nostalgic bit of reading: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn ( I mentioned it once before when you were looking for good reading for girls) and one of my favs: Carter Beats the Devil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it was the best part of being on the swim team. Bleach makes me happy, too, but I rarely use it.
      I had forgotten that one! I'll go download both of them right now!

      Delete
  3. 1 - I don't have any, I just take things as they come and try to get away whenever I have the opportunity

    2 - I believed there was a ghost living in the laundry cupboard in bedroom, but he was a friendly one and was there to watch over me at night

    3 - I don't do amusement park rides, anything which takes me more than three feet off the ground and/or spins round or goes up and down is an absolute no-no

    4 - I don't have one, I just read whatever takes my fancy at the time. I'm currently reading Gone Girl, which a friend passed on to me.

    5 - Only on a long train or coach journey

    6 - Several. The more normal ones - freshly cut grass, forsythia and hawthorn blossom. The unusual ones - hot tar, creosote and rubber ie bicycle tyres etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear your ghost was friendly. I've been told there is a ghost in our house. He must be friendly, too.

      Have you ridden rides before? Had a bad experience? Either way, you are not alone. I've read a bunch of people's answers, and only one other person has liked them.

      I read that. I didn't like it much. What do you think of it?

      I have only been on one train journey ( London to Paris) and I slept most of the way. I think it's expected, isn't it?

      I almost put rubber down! I like it more because of the rubber tracks when I was on the track team. Great smell.

      Delete
  4. Chlorine?!?!? Weirdo.
    Read Gilead, Home, and Lila by Marilynne Robinson. Serious books in a way, good people trying to be good...and happy. Important themes. Usually nothing particularly dramatic just fabulous in depth character studies. I forget which comes first--Home or Gilead. Lila just came out. Each written about the same people in the same small town but from a different point of view. I LOVE these books (and these fictional people).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You aren't the first person to say that. :) Seriously, though, chlorine is a great smell.

      I just downloaded Gilead. Lila was the only one on our library's digital list, so I'll get it once I've read the others.

      Delete
  5. I love your smells the best. Garlic would always be on my list.

    Have a fabulous day and week. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the chlorine? I'm catching some flack for that one. :) Garlic is just plain delicious.

      Delete
  6. I finished reading The Rosie Project last week. The protagonist's perspective was fascinating.
    Your childhood belief was similar a bit to mine: Thanks to the stupid film we watched about tornadoes in 3rd grade--which ended with a map of the United States pointing out where tornadoes were common, but the voice said,"Remember, tornadoes can strike anywhere, anytime."--I was constantly scanning the Oregon skies for the tell-tale funnel cloud. I knew exactly where I would lead my family in our home, and I would be able to share my knowledge and save the day. [I've still never been in a tornado, but I do know what to do!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I so enjoyed that book.

      Ha! What made us think that we were supposed to be the ones saving everyone? Like our parents and the other adults would be completely useless.


      Tornadoes are scary. We've had a few come through our town, causing some major destruction. Nothing like Dyanne, but bad.

      Delete
  7. YAY for no reading list and no plans!
    WOOHOO

    ReplyDelete
  8. See, in Mass, you were either praying, or vigorously agreeing with whatever was going on at the time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!