3 more days of preschool.
9 more days of high school.
10 more days of 8th grade.
13 more days of elementary/middle school.
We're all just a tad over the top excited for summer break to get here.
And there is one more exciting countdown to mention...
1 more week until this here Ten Things of Thankful blog hop hits 100 weeks!!
I cannot even believe it has been that long since Lizzi approached me about hosting with her. We never would have guessed it would last this long. (I mean, we hoped, but you never can tell with this sort of thing.)
You must come back next week. And if you are a blogger, you must get your list ready. To celebrate, there will be contests! With prizes! Loads of fun and special badges and stuff only Lizzi knows. (She's keeping some things a secret even from us co-hosts.)
Until then, I have some things that made me smile this past week.
1. Blooming irises
Right on time. Every year each child in the school brings in a flower to decorate the church for May Crowning. I have never one time remembered to purchase flowers the night before, so every year the kids are outside in the flower bed snipping off some irises.
|Low morning light + Bryan anxious to leave = blurry photo|
It may have felt like spring took a long time to get here, but according to the irises, it was right on time.
2. More school tradition: After Mass, the 8th graders are dismissed for the day. The entire class and their parents go out to lunch together. It was such a nice way to spend a day, even if Star and all the other kids chose to sit at tables away from their parents. (We knew it would happen, seeing as how the same thing happened when Phoenix and Buttercup were 8th graders.)
3. My entire life, I have never been a napper. Even after I had kids, I wasn't all that good at napping. Recently, though, I have mastered it. I don't know if it's age or what, but when I don't get a good night's sleep, I can take a 10 minute power nap right in the midst of the chaos that is our house. Took a couple this week. It amazes me how quickly I can fall asleep and how much those 10 minutes refresh me.
4. We have had the most perfect weather this week. It was even warm enough to get the sprinkler out this afternoon.
|The chickens are j-e-a-l-o-u-s.|
5. Our maple tree is making helicopters for the first time ever.
6. Technology is amazing. I was able to surprise a special someone with a phone call (using WhatsApp) from across the big pond for her birthday. Sure, the phone call was a lot like long distance calls from days of old, where the connection is bad and the delay is real, but it was a live, international, free call that she wasn't expecting.
7. It's so nice to live in the country, where no one cares what our yard looks like.
8. Each year the 7th grade teachers host an Etiquette Lunch for the kids in 7th grade. The kids get all dolled up and have a lesson in table manners and place settings. The boys and girls are paired up, so they can practice manners such as pulling out a chair for a lady, standing when she leaves the table, and walking the girl on his arm as they make their way to the dance floor. A couple from church then teaches a little dance lesson. Giant had a great time.
9. Turken is loving baseball. He's doing well (18/18 for the season so far!) and learning a lot. We are especially thankful that he was not injured before the game on Tuesday. As they were warming up, the coach was hitting fly balls for the boys to catch. Turken lost it in the sun, and the ball thunked right on the top of his head. We heard it in the stands. He kept going, bending over to pick up the ball, tears running down his little face. I made him come out for a thorough look-over, but he was anxious to get back. I'm happy to say, he is just fine. In fact, the next day, when Bryan asked him how his head felt, he replied, "I would forget that it even happened if people stopped asking me about it."
|You would never know he was having fun. He never, ever smiles during a game. Serious stuff, baseball is.|
10. Out of the blue, a song came to my head yesterday. I haven't heard it in a long, long time. As in years. In trying to find the version I have in my head, I found the background to it. Wow. This isn't the version I was looking for, but the story. wow. I still really like the song. It's comforting, but do not play this song if you are already emotionally unstable and trying to avoid ugly crying.
So, that's it for me for this week. What happiness would you like to share?
AND DON'T FORGET TO GET YOUR LIST TOGETHER TO LINK UP NEXT WEEK!
Have a lovely day!
A Fly on our (Chicken Coop) Wall, Amycake and the Dude, Considerings, Finding Ninee, Getting Literal, I Want Backsies, The Meaning of Me, Thankful Me, Uncharted, The Wakefield Doctrine
Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group