Monday, January 26, 2015

It's Just Me Being Happy to Have Kids in a Catholic School

We Catholics get asked a lot of questions by non-Catholics.  They are curious about what we do and why we do it.  I love it when people ask me questions.  Not only do I get to help them understand, it helps me understand some things, too.  The Church has a long history, and I don't know all of it.  I am always reading and listening and learning about it.

A common question people ask is, "Why do you send your children to Catholic school?"

Well, it's Catholic Schools Week across the country, so I figured this was a good time to let you all know why we send our kids.  Long-time readers know the importance of our church and school family in our lives, but I don't think I've ever spelled out why.

1.  First and foremost, our kids are not only allowed to talk about God, but they do it all day long.  They begin and end the school day with prayer.  They pray before most of their classes.  They pray the rosary.  They read Scripture.  They discuss the role God plays in their lives.  They write about the ways God is calling them to be good stewards.  They learn Math and Science and Reading and Writing and Computers as all kids do, but the one difference is that God is a part of that learning.

2.  As Christians, we are called to love everyone.  Not just people who think like we do.  Not just people who are nice to us.  Not just people who have a way to pay us back.  Everyone. It is a big deal in our schools.  Service to others is stressed constantly.  There are food drives and walk-a-thons and letters to veterans and prayers for those in pain and carrying heavy things for visitors and raising money for Heifer International.  From 6th grade through high school, all students are required to complete service hours.  They work in food banks, play Euchre with residents in nursing homes, babysit while parents attend church events, make meals for the homeless, make cookies for prison inmates, tutor children in homeless shelters, and clean up the streets in downtown Indianapolis. They learn that they were not put on this earth to hoard their talents to their own benefit, but to use them to serve others.

3. The school calendar follows the liturgical calendar. Clearly, public schools shouldn't have to serve meatless lunches on Fridays during Lent or allow kids to leave school to attend Mass on holy days of obligation. By going to a Catholic school, we don't have to worry about it. During Advent, the kids focus on preparing for His birth.  They are able to have a true Christmas program and sing Silent Night. They participate in Stations of the Cross during Lent.    They can have a rabbi come in to walk them through a Seder meal.

4. Let's just talk about school Masses for a minute.  I never leave one without at least one tear in my eye.  Each week, the Mass is completely led by students (except for the priest, of course).  They are the cantors and choir, the servers around the altar, the readers of Scripture and petitions, the ushers and the gift bearers.  And this all starts when the kids are in kindergarten.  There is nothing like watching a 5 year old standing on his tippy toes to reach the microphone in order to read God's word.  Most of the time we can just see the tops of their heads as they read in their adorable little voices. These kids aren't just passive members of their Church.  They are active participants helping to bring God to others.

5. For a variety of reasons, the people at our school are very much a family. By and large, Catholic schools are grades K-8. Kids get to be in the building with their siblings (and if the area is anything like ours, with lots of cousins, too!) for years. With little kids around, teenage middle schoolers have a higher expectation to behave themselves and be helpful. In fact, when our school added a preschool, their room was put directly across the hall from the 8th grade rooms.  It warms a heart to see all of these big and little kids interacting and taking care of each other on a daily basis. Just yesterday, Buttercup was telling a group of us how much she enjoyed the hugs and hellos she constantly received in the halls from children whom she had led at VBC one summer.

I could go on about Catholic schools all day long, but it all boils down to one reason.  At a Catholic school, our kids are not only allowed, but encouraged, to talk about and live the faith and values they learn at home and grow in their own hearts.

Our family is very blessed, to be sure.

If you'd like to read more about why people send their children to Catholic schools or what to do if you are thinking about sending your kids to one, there are many great posts linked up over at Rita's blog, Catholic Review.

I know many of you are not Catholic, so if you have a question about anything Catholic, please feel free to ask me.  If I don't know the answer, I'll find it for you!

Have a lovely day!

23 comments:

  1. "At a Catholic school, our kids are not only allowed, but encouraged, to talk about and live the faith and values they learn at home and grow in their own hearts." YES. Absolutely. So, so true. Love your reasons! Thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not catholic, but I think going to a catholic school rocks. It's an extension of your home life that that's an awesome thing.

    Have a blessed week. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is awesome. You are always so good at encouragement. :)

      Delete
  3. Christine, I love your post. Zilla is in Catholic school for all of these reasons. I just nodded and said "yup" to all of these things. I was Catholic-school educated (all the way through my Masters degree, if you can believe it). My sister was, my Mom was, her Mom was...most of our family has been. It's a very special thing. I am saddened that so much is changing where Catholic schools are concerned - at least over here where we are. While the one we are at is strong and thriving, many are not.
    Thanks for a great post and happy Catholic Schools' Week to you all! I think we may lose about half of ours to snow, though... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the changes. My home diocese is making all sorts of changes, combining schools and closing others. Bryan and my high school has added a middle school to get more kids in and help the families whose schools have closed. I hate to see it. The reasons for it are for another post. I am very grateful to live in an area where Catholic schools are going strong. Our high school is even expanding because it is growing so much. Star's class will be about 400 kids, the biggest class they've ever had.

      Delete
    2. Crud, hit the button too soon!
      Happy Catholic Schools week to you! Stay warm and safe. We have no snow or threat of delays, much to the kids' chagrin. :)

      Delete
  4. Beautifully said, Christine! I didn't know the kids put on Mass themselves. We have a Catholic school here, one K-5, one 6th - 8th and a regional high school. It's gotten pretty small and seems to be getting smaller, especially at the high school level. Unfortunately, they cannot offer enough advanced classes to keep a lot of the brighter students all the way to graduation. It's good to hear that Catholic schools are thriving in your area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The teachers do much of the planning, especially when the kids are younger, but the kids do it all in the actual Mass.

      It is hard in smaller, rural areas for Catholic high schools especially to function. Many times, communities will have a Catholic school through middle school, but then the kids have to go to public school for high school, as there just aren't enough kids to fill a high school. Not just for academics, but sports and other extra-curricular groups, too.

      One challenge for all Catholic schools is their ability to help kids of all ability levels. Not that it can't be done, but it is more difficult and the principal has to be willing to do it. Fortunately, Indianapolis has a huge Catholic population, so our schools are larger and can offer both higher level classes as well as help for kids with disabilities. Our high school is quite unique for Catholic schools in that it has added a Life Skills program as well as a "Star" program. Kids with everything from Down Syndrome to ADD to Autism can succeed at our school. I love it. Can you tell?

      Delete
  5. Hi Christine. I am not Catholic, but my first teaching job was in the third grade of our local Catholic grammar school. It was a learning curve for me - the progression of the Mass and the religious observations, but I found the community factor wonderful. Fast forward many years, and although my family are non-Catholic Christians, we chose to send our daughter to Catholic High School for the very reasons you outlined in your post. The community service was such an important part of her education and she continues in her adulthood. As a side note, I love to see the students participating in the service. When my son made his Confirmation in our church, he served Communion to me. It was one of the most spiritually emotional moments I have ever experienced. Thanks for sharing this during Catholic Schools Week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling me your Catholic school stories! Every Catholic school I've attended/worked/sent kids has had some non-Catholic students. There are even non-Christians in many schools.
      The service opportunities are wonderful. While I do lots of serving with my kids, I can't possibly take them to all of the things they would like to do. Thankfully, the high school provides transportation to most service activities, so they can do the things which utilize their strengths.

      Phoenix is a Eucharistic Minister now, and I almost cried the first time I received from him. Of course, I almost cry when I am the minister to my family, too. ;)

      Delete
  6. What a great post both Nick and I are students that attended Catholic. Schools....however our children attend public schools with our school taxes being high as well as the tuition...well it was what we can do. Although they attend religion instructions I also hope they see and understand how important it is. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I will tell anyone, a Catholic school education is most certainly not the only way for kids to learn their faith or find a relationship with God. I have no doubt your kids are seeing the good example you and your husband provide, and you are backed up by their religion teachers. There are plenty of faithful, prayerful, generous, wonderful Christians in public schools.

      Delete

  7. I have to learn to save my comments here. ARGH!

    okay in a nutshell:

    went to Catholic school k-12 and wouldn't trade it for the world. It was a fabulous education. Did a year of divinity school but as an Episcopal because well... Catholic church and women... couldn't do that one.... but none the less a great education in Catholic school. My hs was very small (graduating class of 90) it fell into disrepair and is now in a local Franciscan Monastery..it seems to be thriving there!

    ok so I lost it again but copied it ... lets try now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now know your pain in commenting here. I read my dad's comment on a different post while on my phone. I wrote a long reply, but when I hit publish it disappeared!
      Thank you for sticking with it and adding your opinions and comments!

      There were only 88 students in my graduating class. (There were 90 at one point, but two left.) Back home, Catholic schools, and churches for that matter, are struggling. Many are closing. Our high school has now added a middle school to pick up the kids whose schools have closed. It makes me sad. I'm glad your alma mater is doing well at the Monastery!

      Delete
  8. STILL can't comment on your blog from my phone, but I read this over lunch and I really enjoyed it. I love the way the school and you guys as parents are of an accord in how to raise, instruct, and educate the kids :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. I feel your pain. (See reply to Zoe.)

      We have a marvelous principal who has a wonderful staff and a parish that supports the school and priests who are very involved. Actually, our associate pastor has 5 nieces and nephews in the school!

      Glad you like the post. :)

      Delete
  9. my kids went to Catholic schools, too and I was so grateful for their education. All the reasons you cited above - absolutely. And the kids' Mass, oh my gosh, you are right. I got more out of those than the Sunday Mass. We really are kids at heart and adults, too, need faith presented at the simplest level. I always had tears too. Sadly, my oldest did not stay with the church, but the other two did. I keep praying for my prodigal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was growing up our neighbours went to Catholic school. I always wanted to go too because I thought their uniforms were neat. :) I love the sound of your school...you can feel the warmth and love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "At a Catholic school, our kids are not only allowed, but encouraged, to talk about and live the faith and values they learn at home and grow in their own hearts." No matter what the faith, being able to freely live it and talk about it is so important. I can see why you chose Catholic school for your children. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. "At a Catholic school, our kids are not only allowed, but encouraged, to talk about and live the faith and values they learn at home and grow in their own hearts." No matter what the faith, being able to freely live it and talk about it is so important. I can see why you chose Catholic school for your children. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!