Happy 25th Week Anniversary!!!
I do believe you were promised cake, so...
Sorry. I really tried to save it for you, but it's chocolate. I could only wait for so long. It totally used to say "Happy 25th Week Anniversary".*
To celebrate, I'm going to list not 10, but 25 things for which I am thankful this week. Hope you are sitting in a comfortable chair. And have some tea to sip. Perhaps a bag of M&Ms.
1. I am thankful for my good hair day on Monday. The curly mullet is starting to grow out, and I finally had one good day with it. No, I haven't had another one since, but I had one. There is hope that I'll someday have another.
2. I am thankful for all you lovely people who read this blog. COW and I were fortunate to score invites to Kris's 40th birthday bash. We had loads of fun with all of her friends. The moment we got in the car, COW said, "Walking into that party, I thought I had walked in with a celebrity, with all these people I never met saying, 'Hey! It's the Coop!'" It seems Kris tells people she writes a blog, and many of those people read mine, too. I am grateful for all the kind ladies (and even a husband or two) who read and enjoy my stories.
HELLO KRIS'S FRIENDS!! :)
3. I am thankful for garlic. Garlic cooking in butter is one of my favorite aromas in the world. We grew garlic in our garden the last two summers, and I am loving it.
4. I am thankful for quality library programs. Every week, Cuckoo is thrilled to attend the 45 minute free** program at our library. I am thrilled to have 35 minutes to sit and read a book in mostly peace and quiet. (Of the other moms, grandparents, and caregivers, I am the only one who stays out and reads a book. Even though the woman in charge tells us every single time we don't need to go in with our kids. What the heck??)
5. I am thankful for Star and Giant, who consistently do all of their daily chores without being reminded.
6. I am thankful I have my new "about me" page written.
7. I am thankful I can finally get Dyanne and a Bible study friend off my back, since I got a new photo of Phoenix on the sidebar. Sure, it's the wrong size, but it's there. We can work on the size later.
8. I am thankful for making it to age 42. (My birthday was this week.)
9. I am thankful for Zoe and her hilarious JibJab birthday card. It looks just like the me from back in my roller skating days! (Go here to see it. Or here to see the first one, before she found the birthday one. (I have got the moves!))
10. I am thankful for my mom's safe return from her month-long vacation in Florida. Sure, she had fun and I plan on doing the same type of thing when I'm retired, but honestly, I didn't need another phone call letting me know how gorgeous it was down at the beach. She's back to the miserable cold and wet weather that is the Midwest(ish) area. Our conversations go much better now.
11. I am thankful for hot showers in the morning. Since I don't drink coffee, I need something to get the cobwebs out of my brain.
12. I am thankful for the warm weather last weekend and my kids' ability to enjoy it before the storms rolled in. Sure, I had to yell, "Get outside and play right now, and don't come in until the storm is knocking on our door!" but they went out. And they played.
Shall we pause for a photo collection?
|Yes, Cuckoo is wearing shorts over pants. Every time he wears those pants, he wears those shorts. I have absolutely no idea why, except that he's cuckoo.|
13. I am thankful we made it through Sunday's record-breaking storms with no damage to our property.
14. I am thankful for the lovely couple who watches our house and animals every time we go out of town.
15. I am thankful for a great alternative to Elf on the Shelf. I am not a fan of the elf. I am not a fan of threats to children to behave in order to please Santa. (Kids should behave because it's the right thing to do, and because I said so.) I read on Melody's blog about an activity in which the three wise men go searching for Jesus every night. They keep looking until the Epiphany, when they show up in the nativity scene. There's going to be a link-up and everything, in order to give me some ideas for what to do with the wise men each night.
16. I am thankful for the people who love our kids. Cuckoo's godparents took him out for some fun last weekend, and sent him home with all sorts of new-to-him clothes for the Build-a-Bear they gave him a couple of years ago. Hoosier used to be a boy bear with one outfit. He's now a girl bear with about 6 outfits, 6 pairs of shoes, 2 pairs of pajamas, and two pairs of underwear, all of which are nicer than anything I own. Hoosier gets changed upon waking each day (from her new cardboard box bed next to Cuckoo's bed), eats every meal with us, and changes back to PJs before retiring at night.
17. I am thankful we have finished raking Mrs. G's leaves. This year, we got help. Phoenix is being confirmed this year, and COW and I are co-leading the classes. Service is a big part of preparing for confirmation, so we invited the group to help us with the leaves. We managed to get 200 bags of leaves bagged up in 3 hours.
18. I am thankful for COW's job, which gives us the opportunity to experience lots of things we normally wouldn't, like Pink in concert. We went on my birthday, and while I would never take one of my kids to a concert of hers, I can't help but be impressed with her ability to perform, her athleticism, and her down-to-earthiness. At one point, she responded to a fan in the front row with, "You want me to sign your forehead?? Where are we, Talladega Nights??" I have to enjoy anyone who can pull out a Talladega Nights reference like that. And then there was the flying...
I know, they are horrible photos. During her last song, she was flying and spinning and cartwheeling up high and down low all over the entire arena. While singing. At several points throughout the show, she did some amazing acrobatics. I almost thought we accidentally walked into a Cirque de Soleil show. I was cringing half the time, as they did these things with no safety harness whatsoever. But when she did this flying bit, I was jealous. I want to fly like that. (Little known fact: I spent a week taking trapeze lessons. I have a sense of what flying feels like.)
19. I am thankful for the new Blue-Ray/DVD player COW gave me for my birthday. Before tonight, we had a VCR and an old DVD player that did more skipping and stopping than playing.
20. I am thankful for the DVD of "The Jerk" COW also gave me. Everyone in my extended family can quote just about every line. Tonight, my kids were introduced to it, minus the bit with the carnival worker. They now understand why I yell, "The new phone book's here! I'm somebody now!" every single year.
21. I am thankful for all the lovely people who called or messaged me to wish me a happy birthday.
22. I am thankful for our built-in babysitters. COW and I can go out and enjoy ourselves every once in a while, knowing everyone will be fine at home.
23. I am thankful for Phoenix's hard work to get himself out of the hole he dug earlier in the semester. He made some big mistakes, but he has learned from them and is doing much better.
24. I am thankful for the pizza place 3 minutes from our house. There are few establishments 3 minutes from our house. I'm grateful a pizza place is one of them, especially on a Friday after a night of little sleep when I haven't been home most of the day and don't feel like cooking.
25. I am thankful for my chocolate birthday cake.
*OK, so the cake above might not have said Happy 25th week anniversary. It is possible it said Happy Birthday, Christine".
** Free for most. While Cuckoo was in his program, and before I got to sit and read, I got to pay a sizeable fee for a lost book. We just call these fees "investments in our children's education". OK, I say it. COW just says, "What the hell??"
Now, for the big reveal of the anniversary blog hop button.
You know you want to join in just so you can have one.
Have a lovely day!
It's time for the 25th TToT
Please join our hosts so
And just for you, a freebie, too:
A Fly on our (Chicken Coop) Wall, Considerings, Finding Ninee, Getting Literal, Home On Deranged, I can say mama, I Want Backsies, Rewritten, Thankful Me, The Wakefield Doctrine