Tuesday, November 19, 2013

42 Bits of Trivia about This ALMOST 42 Year Old

I will be turning the great, big 42 on Thursday.  That's a 4.  Followed by a 2.  I still haven't adjusted to being 40, and here I am 2 years into it.  (And I can hear my dad now saying, "Try being old enough to have a daughter who is 42!) 

It's like people actually knew my birthday was coming, because I've been showered with lots of awards lately.  (The equivalent of love in blogland.) 

The always hilarious ladies Beth (from Writer B is Me.  She and I have a whole lot in common.) and Kari (Miss Bloggypants.  You may remember her as being the big winner in the pig poetry contest.) were each kind enough to give me a Liebster award. 

When I said I could always use more sunshine, Lizzi said, "Well, have a Sunshine Award!" 

Since it is my almost 42nd birthday, I'm combining these awards to give you 42 things you may not know about me, in the form of questions the ladies asked and arbitrary facts pulled out of my brain.

First, the questions from Beth:


1. Have you ever seen a ghost? I have never seen one, but I am told there is one in my house.  I have also been to a local establishment featured on Paranormal 911.  Bits from the show are in the "Spooky Speakeasy" episode.  I got to see the "evidence" and hear the owner and other workers talk all about it before the show even aired.  It was completely creepy.

2. If you had to be one, would you be a vampire or a werewolf? Why?  Neither.  I don't like to scare people for real.  Just little scares, like jumping out when they turn a corner kind of scaring.  That's fun.  Biting someone's neck and sucking his blood?  Not so much.

3. If you could play a professional sport, which would it be?  Swimming.  I looooove to swim laps.  The quiet.  The feel of the water over my skin.  The feel of my muscles getting stronger with every stroke. 

4. Switch lives with an actor/ess for a week. Who do you choose?  Jada Pinkett Smith.  I want to spend a week with Will.  That man has cracked me up since the day he sang "Parents Just Don't Understand".

5. Do you have any tattoos?  Not a one.  I don't see the point of them. 

6. Tell me something embarrassing.  Does it have to be about me?  Shoot, half this blog is about embarrassing things about me.

7. What’s the craziest thing (in your opinion) you’ve ever done?  Probably white-water rafting a level 5 river (That's the highest it goes.) on our 10th Anniversary trip.  There were only 5 of us in the raft, and I was the only female.  We rode the rapids, went down a waterfall (then walked back up the shore to ride it again, then turned around and surfed the waterfall) and jumped off a cliff into the rapids.  It was crazy exciting.  There was a guy in a kayak videotaping our trip.  I was laughing in a high-pitched, screamy kind of way the entire time. 


8. Have you ever met a celebrity? Who?  I ate dinner at a restaurant 2 tables away from Oliver North.  OH!  And I hugged Yakov Smirnov when COW and I saw his show in Branson, MO, on one of our adventures before kids.  (He is so a celebrity!)

9-11 last 3 combined: you go to the movies – do you get a) coke, or b) pepsi, a) popcorn, or b) no popcorn, to see a) chic flic b) action/adventure c) horror movie?  I get a Sprite and popcorn with light butter to see a comedy.

And now for Kari's questions:

1.  What is your favorite cartoon character? Why?  I will always have a special place in my heart for Clifford and the gang.  When the big kids were little, they were allowed to watch TV at 5:00 while I got dinner started.  Clifford was usually on PBS at that time.  They, and I, thought it was the best show.  Phoenix and Buttercup even went as Clifford and Chleo for Halloween one year.

2.  If your house were burning down, what three objects would you try to save?  My jewelry, photo albums, and purse.  You'll see the reason for the jewelry later.  The photo albums because I spent a lot of time and effort putting them together, and I want to always have the images from the kids' growing up.  My purse because with having to replace everything, it will be a whole lot easier if I have my ID, bank cards, health insurance card and everything else I keep in there.

3.  Name a gift you will never forget.  There are so many of them, but the biggest was the tennis bracelet COW gave me in the hospital after having Cuckoo.  As he handed it to me, he said, "Thank you for having our babies.  When you think you want more, look at the bracelet.  It is your reminder that I'm done."  I never took that bracelet off for over a year.  Then one day, while driving to school, I realized it wasn't on my wrist.  I got sick to my stomach, having no idea when or where it fell off.  As soon as I got home, I began calling people I had seen in the three previous days to ask if they had noticed it on me.  The second person I called said, "I doubt this is it, but Eli (their son) found a bracelet in the parking lot of the restaurant where the team ate dinner (at a tournament three hours away from home at 9:00 at night).  It's silver with diamonds I was hoping were fake.  For some reason, we didn't make him give it to the manager of the restaurant.  I was just about to call them to let them know we found a bracelet."  I raced to their house.  The bracelet was mine. 

4.  Name one thing you really like about yourself.  My ability to make people laugh.

5.  Does your name have a special meaning and/or were you named after someone special?  As everyone who has seen my name on a standardized test knows, my name means "follower of Christ".  (There are never enough spaces to put my full name on the bubble sheet, so my first name is always cut off at "Christ".)  However, that is not why my parents gave me that name.  One of my dad's girlfriends was named Christine or some variation of it.  He liked the name, so Christine I became.  Except they called me Crissy.  I finally became Christine when we moved to Indiana.  I am still known as "Aunt Crissy" or Chris to the relatives.

6.  What is your favorite season (winter, spring, summer, fall) and why?  It makes me laugh that "winter, spring, summer, fall" had to be specified.  Just making sure I don't say "football"?  Anyway...spring is my favorite.  I survived the cold days of winter, for one.  Everything blooming and growing and smelling pretty just makes me happy.  As does the knowledge of the months and months of warm weather ahead.

7.  What's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?  I'm not all that adventurous in my eating habits.  I guess the weirdest would be ham hocks.  They look nasty when you open them up, but man, are they yummy.

8.  Do you have siblings?  If so, how many? (brothers? sisters?)  Pull up a chair... There are four "original" kids:  me, my sister, and two brothers.  When I was three, we found out I had an older half sister.  After my parents divorced, my dad and stepmom then added my two younger half-sisters to the mix.  For a while there, I also had a step-sister and step-brother.  My mom was remarried to a man who had 2 children.  (His wife and his other two kids had died.)  They were older, though, and I never lived with them.   I haven't seen them since my step-dad passed away 17 years ago.  (My youngest brother keeps up with my step-sister on FB, though.)

9.  If you had this week to do over, what would you do differently?  Went to church Sunday morning.  We were planning on going at 5:00 in the afternoon, but then the tornadoes came through.  It really isn't a good idea to get in the car for a 20 minute drive when tornadoes are touching down all over the state.  We didn't get to go to church this week, and it makes me sad.

10.  What was the best vacation you ever had?  Every single one has been my favorite.  We always have great fun on our vacations, so there is no way to choose.

11.  Have you ever been told you look like someone famous? If so, who?  People tell me all the time I am the spitting' image of Heidi Klum.


Facts about myself:

1.  I was kidding.  I don't look anything like Heidi Klum.  More like a tall Rhea Pearlman.

2.  I was in an improv troupe in college. 

3.  I have never taken even a sip of coffee.  Or tea.

4.  I took a baton twirling class when I was a kid.  I don't remember liking it.  Actually, I remember my mom and our neighbors trying to stuff me into a car while I screamed my full head off and fought with all my might to NOT go to baton twirling class.

5.  I once had to go to the hospital when my mom spilled hot carrots on me as she went down the line and served them to us kids.  I had to wear a nasty cream and stay out of the sun for what seemed like an entire summer.

6. When teachers would ask what nationality I was, I answered, "I'm half Canadian.  I don't know what I am on my dad's side."

7.  In reality, I'm German.  Almost completely.  My mom is a Canadian citizen, but her line goes farther back than that.

8.  I wear a size 9 shoe.  On my left foot.  My right is more of a 9 and a half.

9.  I rarely wear makeup.

10.  I helped put myself through high school by doing a work study stapling Bingo cards together.

11.  And then volunteered at my high school's Bingo while my grandma played and my grandpa called the numbers.  (Bingo is big in Canton, Ohio.)

12.  While in high school, I was on the swim team and swam every event at least once.

13.  I had chicken pox in kindergarten, but had the mildest case ever seen.  Somewhere around 5 spots.

14.  My first car was a Ford Tempo.

15.  My second car was a BMW.  My dad was on a classic car kick and sold our Tempo to buy an old BMW.  It was the nicest car I've ever owned. 

16.  I've been in two car accidents in my life.  Both were minor fender benders.  The first was in the BMW.

17.  When I was 14 I had my first job.  I was as a bus girl at a restaurant in which my aunts, grandma, and dad had previously worked.  My grandma and dad still worked the register on Sunday nights while I worked in the dining room.

18.  I was PTO president at my kids' school for two years.  I loved it.

19.  My nickname in high school was Spaz.  It was given to me by my track coach.

20.  (This one's for you, Jen.)  Through all my years of elementary school, middle school, high school, and college (in which I had a minor in the subject), I never got anything but an A in any math class.  I love math.

How's that for an overload of info you didn't need to know?

To the nominees...

Just about every person I know has received one of these Liebsters at some point.   Instead of "making" them do another acceptance post, I'm just going to give you a list of some new blogs I've read recently which you might enjoy.

Sandy from Mother of Imperfection

Inion N. Mathair - I actually just found them yesterday, but read about 6 of their posts in one sitting.

Katherine at Curiosa Kat

Lizzy from The Muddle-Headed Mamma

Elizabeth from Blending a Family of Dorks

Sarah from Amycake and the Dude

P.J. from A 'lil Hoohaa

Kevin from Pregnancy from a Guy's Perspective (except the baby is 2 months old now)

I do believe my work here is done.

I don't know how much posting I'll be doing the rest of this week.  On my birthday I will be attending a concert.  Pink's to be exact.  Yes, Pink.  Not something I chose for my birthday, but the tickets were free, we'll have a lovely dinner beforehand, and we will be in some good company throughout. 

Don't forget to join us on Saturday for the big 25th week of the 10 Things of Thankful.  I do believe Lizzi has something special planned.  Of course. 

Have a lovely day!


46 comments:

  1. Early Happy Birthday, sweet friend.

    I laughed out loud when you said Heidi Klum. And also at Rhea Pearlman (which is also not true).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I knew you would. Gotta give me points for bringing in Rhea, though. She's not too far off.

      Delete
    2. You're as far from Rhea as you are from Heidi. Interpret that however you'd like.

      Delete
  2. You're probably better looking than Heidi Klum! Enjoy your birthday week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was giggling properly at the idea of you screaming and fighting NOT to go to baton practice :)

    Have a GORGEOUS time at P!nk's concert. She does a really good show. I went to see her once a few years ago, and though it was wonderful, I wasn't really in a fit state to go, but it was my CinemaFriend's birthday, and we'd been planning it forever. So I went. And ended up in hospital the next night, with tonsillitis so bad they kept me in over the weekend. *sigh*

    I loved reading these 42 Things of Christine :D

    (how tall is tall?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite a frustration for my poor mother.

      Well, I promise I won't go if I have a raging sore throat. I'm planning on having fun.

      Oh good. That was a massive amount of info about one person.

      I am a hair short of 5 feet 7 inches. Basically, Kris comes up to my chin.

      Delete
    2. Good! Why not, ey!

      Have a LOVELY time.

      You did it well - it didn't feel long.

      *phew* You're not taller than me like Dyanne is! I don't like being shortest! Kris is ickle though, but I reckon she pulls it off well :D

      Delete
    3. You are BOTH taller than me? 5'7" isn't short. How tall are you?

      Delete
    4. No, I'm not taller than you. We're the same. But I feel short. And short-changed, cos both my parents are taller than me. I was MEANT to be taller *sigh*

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday to you two days early, Christine! The getting know you posts are always fun. What a great life on a farm and all of your kids are absolutely adorable. Only 5 spots of chicken pox? That's historic! Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always like reading them, too.

      It is never dull around here, that's for sure. Glad I'm not the only one to find them adorable. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Happy Early Birthday! You are nearly two years into the forties and I'm nearly 2 years out of the forties. Yikes. I'd certainly go to a Pink concert! Have fun. Can hardly believe you've never even tried tea...I was raised on sweet sun tea! I'm with you on the makeup thing and that's some crazy family relations! Blended families...we are just now working on that one since my father-in-law remarried. Have to find a new normal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I am planning on having fun. I hear she is a great performer.

      I just never felt it was necessary. I drink water and milk, with an occasional Sprite, and I'm happy.

      In any game of "My family has more dysfunction" I win every time. :)

      At this point, we have gotten to where we just say the more the merrier. It should be easier since none of you are kids living with a stepparent. I'm sure this will be an interesting holiday for you!

      Delete
  6. THAT was EPIC!!! Wow!. I feel your pain since I turn 43 in a few weeks. That's a 4. Followed by a 3.

    Okay I finally found differences between us! I drink the bejesus outta coffee and tea! And I would TOTALLY be a vampire. Like tonight. No. really. I'm a little offended it hasn't happened yet actually.

    This was awesomesauce. You're German? I have a little German in me too (<insert sex joke here) on my Dad's side I think. I forget actually, but I know I've heard it a million times. Mostly Irish though.

    I never wear makeup either. If I get out and feel the need to look nicer than the crap I look in the house, my "big" effort is mascara and tinted chapstick. Hold yourself back, I know.

    I heart you big, Christine!!!! All 42 things about you and some!

    Pink should be a BLAST!!! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, duh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Epic in a War and Peace sort of way. Or Le Mis. Without the Waterloo part.

      Ah! We will be the same age for a few weeks, then.

      I am an odd duck with that no coffee thing, I know. I'd be floored if you didn't drink it either.

      Aw, another full moon gone to waste...

      Joke popped in my head without the prompt. :)

      Thank you for all of your encouragement and ego-boosting.

      Pink will probably be a great show.

      And thanks!

      Delete
    3. Shut up, both of you. I turned a 5 and then a 3 in September.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. just kidding that was me!

      this was a great post! I love learning all these things about people.

      Have to say I do drink tea but I've never gotten beyond a sip of coffee once.

      HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Skip turns 14 the next day...he's going to the pink concert too! but he's a little ticked off to find out you got your tickets for free!

      have a great time and I hope we get to hear about it over the weekend!

      Delete
    2. You have one awesome sense of humor, Zoe. Made me do a double take, there. :)

      When I'm writing these things, I wonder if anyone will even read them. I don't know why. I always like reading these "arbitrary" things of others, so why wouldn't other people like them, too?

      Thanks! ah, but Skip will probably get picked out of the crowd to go on stage. He's got that look that says, "You really want to meet me."

      Thanks! It's likely you'll be hearing about it.

      Delete
    3. Skip is gonna dye himself chartreuse just to be contrary....

      Delete
  8. Forty two! You're so young. I'm in my sixties. Enjoy your youth.

    Loved all the things I've learned about you.

    Have a fabulous day and birthday too. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a wonderful birthday! You will enjoy the concert! P!nk puts on quite a show! I wanted to see her so bad when she was in Chicago, but tickets were $135 and I just couldn't see spending that money.

    I can't imagine getting an "A" in math all through your school days! Wow! "Math" is a four-letter word to me! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've heard she does. I'm looking forward to it. Good heavens! $135?! I wouldn't pay that, either!

      I hear there are a few (million) people who don't like math. Math saved my rear in college, since it was 5 credits and my social studies classes were only 3. :)

      Delete
  10. First, let me say thanks a million times for my shout out! I so appreciate it and I thank you for allowing me the pass :) Then I will wish you a Happy, Happy Birthday and tell you I'm thrilled (envious, but thrilled) that you get to see Pink! She is ah-ma-zing and I hope you have a blast.

    I cannot imagine life without coffee. Tea I can take or leave...but no coffee? Eek!

    I LOVE the comment your husband made about the bracelet, "It is your reminder that I am done." Classic!

    I've been white water rafting on a level 4 and that was both frightening and exhilarating! A level 5...you get to be my hero today!

    I read Lizzi's comment ahead about height. 5'7" isn't short, you're right. I am 5'10" and used to hate it....now I love it, especially since I think I'm starting to shrink! By the way, I'm 45 and still haven't gotten used to it. I'm not sure I will ever adjust to my real age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome on both counts. :)

      I am looking forward to the concert. It should be fun.

      My husband is a funny guy. And direct. :)

      As the guide told us, the river will be 4 hours of boredom, broken up by a few 45 second intervals of near death. I had so much fun.

      Perhaps if I'm fortunate enough to reach the age of 85, I will finally feel 42.

      Delete
    2. Sandy! We're the same height! I KNEW I liked you!

      Delete
  11. Spaz, now that's a badge of honor. I was Chicken. Spaz is definitely cooler. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pffft! Chicken?? How does one get that name?? Do tell the story. Please?

      Delete
  12. Have a wonderful birthday! My Husband also had a hard time with the big 40. I would hope when I get there I feel the same way I do now about it. I want to throw the biggest party ever and celebrate that I made it to 40. Every year we get healthy is a blessing. Enjoy the concert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      You are spot on. We really should celebrate every single day we are on our feet.

      Thanks! I plan on it.

      Delete
  13. Happy early birthday! Hope this year brings wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Try being old enough to have a daughter who is 42!" Baaahaaahaaa...now I know where you got your great sense of humour!!! COW with his bracelet comment is definitely a close second. :D

    Loved this 42 Shades of Christine post!!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my dad doesn't read this. He will most certainly talk/gloat about it all day Thanksgiving. :)

      I do love COW's sense of humor. And his candor.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  15. 3. I have never taken even a sip of coffee. Or tea. - That is amazing. I can't even imagine a world where I don't have coffee and/or tea of some variety every day. Wow.

    The thing your dad said about being old enough to have a daughter who's 42? Reminded me of my grandfather and made me cry a little - he used to say that all the time. Except substitute Grandchildren in there. Meanwhile, he never acted like an old man with old children once in his life.

    I love your 42 bits of trivia - such fun stuff in here. I, too, can't quite figure out how I got to be 43 when I just turned 40 five seconds ago. I was excited about 40 for some reason...can't say I'm quite as excited to be IN my 40s. But since my one and only kid is only 5, sometimes people assume I'm about ten years younger so I'll take it.

    Hope your birthday is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't seem to be a common thing to not drink coffee or tea. It's funny, though, because my sister and 2 brothers don't drink them, either.

      Aw, I'm glad you were reminded of your grandpa.

      Thanks! No one assumes I'm younger, even though I have a four year old. I just look like a worn-out older mom.

      It was, thanks!

      Delete
  16. Happy birthday! I'm behind in blogging/reading this week, so I'm just now reading your post. Hope your day was lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are one of the only other people I know who has never even had a sip of coffee. But you don't do iced tea, either? Or are you talking hot tea?

    COW's comment about the bracelet being a symbol that he's done sounds EXACTLY like something my husband would say.

    Thank you for not driving when there were tornado warnings. Vehicles are a bad, bad place to be in a tornado. Bad.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so agree with you on tattoos and coffee. Yuck to both. And can you believe it - I took baton lessons too! I can still do the palm spin with a broom stick. There's a life skill for ya'.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!