Friday, April 17, 2015

Opining. Because, Really, This Challenge Is LONG.

O.

O.o.o.o.o.

Oh my word, I've got nothing.

The only O words I've got come with obvious opinions.

One-on-one time with your children...It's important.

Duh.

Organization...I love it. I know how to do it. Yet my house doesn't reflect it, because I have 6 people who don't give a rat's patootie about being organized.

Orthodontist...Find a good one, or your children will complain and tell you how horrible the experience was for the rest of your life. I'd write about my horrible experiences with one when I was a kid, but I did that 2 years ago for the A-Z. B is for braces. As of Wednesday, I now have two kids with torturous metal appliances in their mouths, and while they don't like the braces, the orthodontist's office and people are nothing but lovely.

Orbits...If your kids are struggling to understand the solar system, try acting it out. I still remember doing this when I was in 4th grade. Have one person be the sun, one the moon, one Earth. Have them rotate and revolve accordingly, with the Earth spinning and revolving, and the moon always facing the Earth. Discuss positions as the "year" goes on.

Origami...I have always been fascinated with origami, mostly because I know how difficult it is. We made origami swans in 5th grade art class when I was a kid. I've tried doing more, but getting that paper folded perfectly is apparently beyond my capabilities and attention span. I've given the kids origami books and paper, and Buttercup was able to make some flowers. Just last week, Cuckoo found the origami book, and guess what he asked me to make. OK, don't guess. I had to make that exact same bird I made in 5th grade. Let me just say, inside reverse folds have not gotten easier with age.

Organic...We don't buy it, but we grow it. Not sure I get the organic processed food. Really, I can't imagine that organic boxed mac and cheese is any better for you than regular boxed mac and cheese. But I have done zero research, so what do I know? Nothing. I know nothing, so it really shouldn't even be in an advice post. Oh, unless you are talking organic chemistry. Loved that class in school.

Ostrich...Not a fan, but it does rank above a creepy emu. I am a fan, though, of Mike Rowe and the episode about an ostrich farm. Mike trying to catch an ostrich is a lot like me trying to catch a chicken.



Outdoors...send the children there as much as possible, and join them often.

Outfits...From newborn-1, take advantage of your ability to dress your child in adorable outfits. From 1-the rest of the child's life, when he or she has an opinion on the matter (sometimes very strong opinions), just let it go. As long as the child is dressed modestly and appropriately (no sweats to Mass), let. it. go.

Overwhelmed...We all feel it now and again. Sometimes we just need to get through that busy week/month. Sometimes we feel overwhelmed all the time, and something needs to change. It may not be a big change, but a change is necessary. No one can be happy, productive, or pleasant when constantly overwhelmed. Perhaps it's as simple as making sure to get a shower before your spouse leaves for work. It may be as drastic as a job change. Regardless, don't live constantly overwhelmed.

Oxymoron...I just like the word.

Onomatopeia...Even better word. Learned it in a high school English class. BOOM!

Oxygen...Very necessary when working with children. In all cases of frustration, stopping to take a deep breath is very helpful. Breathe, people. BREATHE!


Okie doke.

That was probably the most unhelpful post I've ever written.

Ah well. At least Mike is in it to give you a chuckle.

Tomorrow will be better.

Probably.

Have a lovely day!




27 comments:

  1. Well, I'm curious as to why you think ostriches are any less creepy than emus. Or did you write it the other way around? The only difference I know between them is that one is smaller.
    Maggie and I were at the consignment store, and I laid out several options for her to choose from. She chose the ones I would have (and I swear I didn't hint). Couldn't be happier. I have trained her well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google emu and ostrich. An emu is way creepier. It partly has to do with emus being as tall as me, able to look me in the eye. Our zoo had both of them. Ostriches are way better.

      Yay for you and Maggie. Thankfully, Buttercup is all about modesty and non-flashy clothing. I actually have more trouble with the boys, who care not a whit if things go together. You'd think I was forcing them to run to Mexico by the way they complain when I tell them they need to wear pants with a button.

      Delete
  2. Oxymoron...I just like the word. Bwahahahahahahaha. That made me laugh out loud.

    This was a whole bunch of 'Os'.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Glad I got a laugh out of you.

      It was. I couldn't think of just one.

      Delete
  3. One of the most fascinating field trips I ever went on with my kids was to an ostrich ranch. I learned so much (most of which I have since forgotten), but it was interesting. I think it is good to have a healthy fear of those birds, though. There was a killer (literally!) ostrich in a nearby town when we lived in Washington.

    I feel the same way as you about organization, but I'm beginning to realize that I need to get back in the habit, now that most of the kids are gone and I realize what is left is MY unorganized stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold up! You cannot say that there was a killer ostrich and not elaborate!! Story please!

      Ha! I'm scared that our house will be the exact same way.

      Delete
  4. You certainly found a lot of O words to write about. Love the solar system reenactment. My favorite oxymoron is jumbo shrimp. OO - over? When, only 11 more days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm most worried about the coming letters. There are some hard ones!

      Delete
  5. Great selection of O's. The ostrich is a pretty wild critter understandable considering. Great set of family photo pictures. Are any of you guys trekkies or trekkers? How about a Chicken Coop /Trekkie alliance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :)

      Ha! I do not have any trekkies, but I have no doubt they have the potential. They've never seen Star Trek, but it is probably something they would get into.

      Delete
  6. Love ostriches....mean though. I thought for sure you would do something about kids all having their own opinions....this was a fun post! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have trouble with the kids' opinions on most things. They think a lot like me, except when it comes to organization and cleanliness. Not much to write about.

      Glad you like it!

      Delete
  7. You loved organic chemistry? Wow! I still have nightmares from organic chemistry class. Or not the class so much, but the lab. I hated lab. I'd follow all the instructions and mix everything perfectly and somehow still end up with some sort of sludge. It was awful. Shudder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Sorry it didn't work out for you. I found the labs fascinating, and the classwork was fun. Of course, Algebra is my all-time favorite, and those work well together, so it's no surprise. :)

      Delete
  8. Hey! You're #720! I found you on the list and wasn't even looking! But glad I found you. Not that I don't know where to find you:)
    So, I thought the O post was good. A little bit athat, some of this...sharing stuff. And.... you stuck in a vid with Mike Rowe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't been out to the list in a while. I'll be doing most of my reading after the challenge is over, I think.


      Thank you. Mike Rowe can make anything better. :)

      Delete
  9. Orthodontist - my mom took me to a really horrible one when I was a kid, resulting in me now having a lifelong fear and hatred of them.

    Ostrich - I rode one several years ago while in South Africa, it was certainly an experience! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to swap stories sometime. It does leave a lasting impression for a kid!

      You rode one?!?!?! I had no idea you were so adventurous! Was it running around or just taking a stroll?

      Delete
    2. Well when you get on the thing you think it's just going to take a stroll but then it'll go like a bat out of hell. I almost fell off mine when it put its foot down a dip as it turned a corner. If you ever get the chance, ride an ostrich, it's an absolute hoot! :)

      Delete
  10. hey is O the halfway point? just wondering. considering that I used 'of' for my 'O'… I may be in trouble letters-of-the-alphabetisically-speaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I noticed that you were getting mighty loose with the alphabet with that one. :)

      Delete
  11. Hardly unhelpful, it was outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll limit my comment to three.

    1) I too did origami as a kid. Ummmm....Japanese here. ;)
    2) I seem to be in a constant state of being overwhelmed...both good and not so good...all evens out in the end. Haha!
    3) Okie dokes....one of my most favourite sayings. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) Hahaha! Do you still have some skills?
      2) That's one way to look at it. :)
      3) It's an oldie but a goodie.

      Delete
  13. HHAHA! I did a post like this once for the letter D. Every a-z challenge, I have a least one or two dud posts. It just can't be avoided. This is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh, what about oreos?
    I live with three other people who don't care about organization and they have taken it to such a level that I'm sure they beat your 6.
    Origami - did you at least fold notes into a "football" in junior high?
    Kyle is taking Organic Chemistry II and not finding it to be a lot of fun.
    Even though it doesn't go with "O", I think Mike Rowe at the monkey sanctuary is the funniest thing on tv
    Overwhelmed: often.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!