Friday, March 13, 2015

Thankful Doesn't Even Come Close... TToT Week 91

I would like to scream from the rooftop, but our roof is really steep and really tall. I'd like to not die more than I'd like to scream from the roof, but I am THRILLED with the weather this week!!

SPRING IS MOSTLY HERE!! I know we'll still have some cold days. Perhaps even a bit more snow. BUT it won't be as frigid as it was a few short weeks ago. And the cold that does come won't last for long.

Thankful doesn't even come close to what I'm feeling about the two days of sun and 58 degree temps we had this week.

More signs of spring!!

Bryan and I have been talking about plans for the near to not-too-distant future, including moving to a new house. In less than 6 years, we will be down to only 2 kids living in our house year-round. We won't need all of this property, and it would be nice to live near school.

But then the two days of beautiful weather came. The little boys were outside every single available minute during those two days, even when I was inside making dinner. They found "a pretty place" in a dead, fallen down tree. They explored the fields and climbed on trees and jumped in puddles. They got filthy and had a blast.

Thankful doesn't even come close to what I'm feeling about the opportunity our kids have to grow up in such a safe, fresh-aired environment.

Turken's schoolwork from last week. He had to write some sentences and underline the verbs, then draw pictures to go with them. He wouldn't know anything about the speed of a pig if we lived in a neighborhood. And  I think we all know where he got his mad illustration skills.

With the warm weather came the melting of all the snow. And rain. Lots of rain. And with that rain and melting snow came mud. Lots of mud.

Thankful doesn't even come close to what I'm feeling about the two truckloads of gravel that were dumped all along (most of) our driveway, ending the reign of muddy terror ruling over the floors of my house and van.

This was at 10:00 in the am, after most of the fog had burned off.  It's amazing how fog can make anything look like a horror movie.

Because of the trees growing over the drive, the truck couldn't dump the gravel all the way around the circle or on the turnaround section.



Thankful doesn't even come close to what I'm feeling about the kids and husband I have who can help with the spreading of the gravel.


The chickens have been cooped up (in the coop) for weeks, seeing as how a foot of snow and below zero temperatures aren't the best for bare little chicken feet. The warm weather meant the girls and their one suitor could get out into the fresh air.

Thankful doesn't even come close to what I'm feeling about the dogs not knowing that the gravel dump broke their line, seeing as how one chicken was practically begging to be eaten. (Remember our last flock was wiped out in a matter of hours when Roy figured out the line had broken while we were on vacation.)

That's a chicken. On the pig fence. One hour after I had caught it on the other side of the pig fence and put it back in the chicken pen. She had to run past the dogs to get to that pig fence.  Dogs who were watching every move she made.
There have been a couple of rainy days this week, too. As in moisture falling from the sky all day long. While 50 degrees is wonderful when the sun is out, 50 degrees and rain is not. No playing outside in that mess.

Thankful doesn't even come close to what I'm feeling about my kids' ability to amuse themselves when trapped in the house.

He made that entire thing by himself, following the 60 steps in the instruction book. It took him the entire day.

Spring break is coming! Remember last year, when the kids, my mom, and I got in the van and left for vacation with absolutely no plans? We are kind of doing it again. We were just going to rent a house in Gatlinburg for the week, but the temperatures are supposed to drop. We need to go farther south for warm temps, and we won't stop until we find them. I found one place in the Blue Ridge Mountains where we can ride horses and stay in a yurt, so I'll be making reservations to stay there one night. I'll have each of the kids do a bit of research and pick one thing he would like to do.

Thankful doesn't even come close to what I'm feeling about our ability to take these trips with my mom and write the stories we'll be retelling for decades to come.

During our trip, I'll post on Instagram regularly. Bryan and my dad will want to see proof that we aren't living in the van down by the river, so you might as well follow along, too.

If you remember last year's trip (Can you even believe it's been an entire year?!?!?), you won't be shocked to learn that the kids have added a new rule about the trip. There will be no out of the way stops to simply see a river even if it is the biggest river in the US meeting up with one of the next biggest rivers in the US.

Whatever.

It seems the loosey goosey TToT co-hosts are rubbing off on me. I don't know where my numbers went, but surely I have 10 thankfuls in here.

It's your turn! Numbered or not, what makes you want to scream "THANK YOU!!" from the rooftop?

Have a lovely day!


Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

45 comments:

  1. Loosey goosey? I might resemble that...I can't even tell you the last time I numbered my TToT. I just let 'em roll. I think I usually manage to get ten.
    Also? I KNOW WHAT A YURT IS? I even did a post about it once kind of back in the beginning of my blog. It was sort of amusing. To me, anyway, because it reminds me of my Husband's weird saying, "your what hurts?" I don't know. But he's cute.
    I love all of your photos and thankfuls. You have such a lovely property. I'm sure it doesn't come without its own headaches - that's true of anything. But seriously, how wonderful to have all that space and such a beautiful view and just...yeah. Farm life would be OK with me. But no bugs.
    This is a wonderful list of wonderful things. I hope the spring weather continues, too! We haven't quite hit 58 yet, but 50 feels just fine to me. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNEW I HAD READ ABOUT YURTS BEFORE!!! I remembered the post, but couldn't remember who had written it. NOW I REMEMBER!! So glad you mentioned it.

      It is so pretty out here. I walk out the door and just sigh with happiness (when I don't groan with annoyance at some disaster). :)

      It's supposed to be 70 today! Sure, it will be 30 something later this week, but 70!

      Delete
  2. Wait - am I FRIST????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bwahahahah hey loosy goosey. I LOVE this list, even if it's not a list, there are ten thankfuls about the weather and then some bonus ones.

    I am THANKFUL FOR YOU and for what you sent me, and for your constant support and encouragement. It matters, and I am hugely grateful.

    I smiled sooooooo big at Cuckoo's adorable Lego. WELL DONE HIM!

    Glad your chooks are all safe, and YAY NO SNOW, even if mud and rain, but I guess they're still better than cold.

    Have a gorgeous time yurting, and happy Spring Break. See you on instagram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, am thankful for you. :)

      I was kinda surprised that he could sit down and actually do that Lego house. I had no idea he had the patience or the ability to follow those sometimes confusing Lego directions.

      The mud is much improved, thanks to the gravel. The back yard, not so much, but that's what the mud room is for!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Spring!!!! So happy everyone can be outside again! How is it possible that you are thinking only two children will be left at home in six years? -Rita at Open Window

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were outside again yesterday, having a ball. It makes me so very happy.

      It is a crazy awful thought, isn't it? That is the problem with having four kids in four years. Phoenix is going to be a junior next year, and when he's a senior, all four big kids will be in high school. Every year after that, someone will head off to college. 6 years. That revelation came with some tears.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad spring has arrived for you. After the six days of glorious weather I've recently experienced here I can imagine how thrilled you are.

    After spending so many years living in such lovely surroundings could you REALLY move to a neighbourhood? - I know I couldn't, even if I was totally alone in the house. That's why I'm so glad I live where I do, with countryside and moorland almost on my doorstep.

    I hope the gravel has banished most of the mud on the drive, and pleased for the chickens that they can get some fresh air.

    I can't believe it's a year since you had your 'no plans' vacation - I hope this next one is just as enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to following your posts and photos on Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too!

      When all the kids are out of the house, Bryan and I are moving to a condo downtown. We'll be plenty happy, thanks to the river and parks downtown, but we'll also be traveling a ton to all sorts of natural, beautiful places. Yes, I can leave the house and it's surroundings. :)

      The mud is still there, but we don't have to walk through it anymore. :) The chickens have gotten out on the days we are home and outside with the dogs. I'm sure they appreciate it. :)

      I know! That year went fast! We're looking forward to plenty of fun.

      Delete
  6. Warmer weather alone makes ten! Hasn't it been a gift? That cuckoo is something else with his Legos. Can't wait for your trip!!!! You'll be near my adopted home of asheville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No joke! it has been marvelous.
      I had no idea Cuckoo could do such a thing.

      HOLD UP!!! You live in Asheville???

      Delete
  7. I'm loving the Spring weather here too. Today it's rainy and kinda muddy (nowhere near as muddy as it is up on your farm) but at least it's over 40 degrees right? That's a great shot of the bulbs poking through the ground - a sight for sore eyes! I am most impressed with your little fella's commitment to his legos. That day long project had to have required patience and persistence beyond his years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most certainly! That rain could easily be snow, so no complaining about the rain and mud! :)

      It makes me very happy to see the hints of green popping up, and not just on people's shirts for St. Patrick's Day.

      I honestly didn't think he'd stick with it, but even after being interrupted to pick the big kids up at school, he went right back to it until it was done. I was quite surprised!

      Delete
  8. Your kids are amazing. You have an amazing family and I so enjoy reading about your adventures. I'm coming along on your road trip. Yes indeed.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet. Thanks. I hope it's a fun one! And even if it's not, the stories should be good. :)

      Delete
  9. Christine! Most excellent posting:) Let me get right to it. Legos! Cuckoo rocks! I've sat with my nephews working the book and just....building! It's a challenge. Must be my adult brain but at first glance it all looks like greek to me LOL
    You're so right about the fog - anything can be scary lol
    Staying in a yurt! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      It is sometimes really difficult. Those Lego instructions aren't always the clearest things to follow.

      Fog is just plain creepy.

      I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete
  10. So much easier without those numbers getting in the way. Spring is fantastic, even if it rains a lot. We had a family reunion/get together at Wintergreen in Virginia in the Blue Ridge Mountains. It was lovely in the Fall. Don't know about mud season, though. We only have one neighbor whose house we can see from our driveway. We are only a half mile away from developments, but that is an important half mile. It takes a lot of tenacity to follow all those Lego directions, not to mention a lot of time. Alone quiet playing time. Did I mention I love Legos? So much learning in colorful little pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Maybe. :)

      We are about a mile from gas stations and car sales lots. I understand the importance of that half mile.

      Legos have got to be at the top of best toys ever made list!

      Delete
  11. YOU are just one happy little piggy farmer aren't cha? I love the kid riding the pig drawing! I DO see where he gets his artistic prowess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am. Glad it shows. :)

      Good to see the boy got something from me. He is so much like his dad.

      Delete
  12. 58?
    I'm going to jump up in the air while simultaneously clacking my heels for you in celebration! That is definitely something to be thankful for. And green. Oh colour. Baby!!!
    I'm impressed with the mad Lego building skills. I'll keep your feet in my prayers tonight.
    I'll have to google these places you're talking about going...in a non-creepy way...because I don't know where they are. Our March Break (which I think is your spring break) is this week and we are in the 40's. That's called summer in Canada. Don't worry. I'll contain my excitement in pants - no one wants to be blinded by my pale legs ... that are ridonkulously hairy. Don't judge me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you actually do that jump and click your heels thing? :)

      Green is my favorite color in the spring.

      Thank you for the prayers for my feet.

      Yeah, I'm not in shorts yet, either. Although, my legs aren't quite as hairy, since I've been swimming and working out in shorts. There is no judgment whatsoever about the pale, gorilla legs. Been there mostly every winter.

      Delete
  13. We've been loving the warmer weather as well!!!! It has made such a difference in my mood and outlook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's amazing what some warm, fresh air can do for a person's mood! I'm right there with ya!

      Delete
  14. Oh, just drive really fast and head southwest, and maybe you can make it out here to California. If you are happy with 58 degrees, you'll be ecstatic with our temps! Besides, we haven't downsized yet, and so we have room for you and your troops. (And we still have Legos!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days, I most certainly will. I will not be bringing all six kids and my mom, though. :)

      Delete
  15. Glad to hear that spring is springing! And that the children are so good at home. You're doing a fine job, mum.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am thankful spring has finally sprung as well. I don't know if I'm so thankful that in a weak moment I gave permission to my college kid to bring home 3 friends for spring break who never get to see the beach. It's only the first day, so if I survive this houseful of boys, then I will be extremely thankful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. That was quite brave of you. Hope it all goes well and that your food budget can handle it. :)

      Delete
  17. The snow is melting YAY!!!! Spring break is near - I think I might take a couple of days off this year to hang with my gang - still thinking about it - the Yurt looks interesting. I love rainy days, i know it sounds odd right but only when I am home and nothing is scheduled, I surrender to it and if I can do nothing that is what I do, read, crochet, cuddle on the couch watching a movie, relaxing - Now its my turn to get thankfuls done. have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Do it! Do it! Enjoy the pretty days of spring break!

      If nothing else, we can chalk up the yurt as a new experience and story, good or bad. :)

      I like rainy days, too, in certain circumstances. Warm rains when the kids can play in it are quite awesome.

      Delete
  18. That easy into springtime temperatures sound like heaven. We were in the 90*s yesterday. Love the daredevil chickens, gravel and poking up flowers. I love how overflowing with glowing your list is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah! 90s already?! Hope you have somewhere to swim!

      It was a pretty good week. :)

      Delete
  19. Yay for spring!! Lily has been bringing home those beautiful violet blossoms she's picking on her way home from school. I'm so excited about watching nature awake once more!! Enjoy your vacation! Staying in a yurt and go horse riding sounds exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, sweet Lily, stopping to notice the pretty things.

      Spring is by far my favorite season, even if it is the busiest.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  20. " loosey goosey TToT co-hosts"
    I simply can not imagine what you could possibly be referring to…. one always maintains and order or clearly established theme, when one wishes to produce a Post for the TToT. Why just yesterday, I thought, 'a Post with Items anagrammatically associated with 10 Items? That would be delightful!'


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sure, can't imagine to whom I was referring.

      Although, I did read yours (without commenting, seeing as how it was on my phone), and I was quite impressed with the non-numbering yet still bulleting in a way thing you did. :)

      Delete
  21. Oh, I do love those green shoots popping up through the ground! Such promise!
    We talk about downsizing to a smaller house, too. But we'd have to fix everything that needs fixing first, and by the time we get that done, it will be like a new house that we won't want to leave. We'll probably end up staying here until the whole thing collapses around us.
    Too bad Turken didn't draw a hypodermic needle in his hand in the picture.
    Moving gravel is no easy feat.
    I think those Lego kits are fantastic for kids! Following step by step written directions, comparing what you're doing to the picture. Lots of good brain work AND fine motor skills.
    Tell your kids to be careful about making rules about road trips or I'll be the one who helps you find places to visit. Although they might LIKE going to places like a prison museum or pulling up outside a penitentiary just to give it a good look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marvelous bit of green, aren't they?
      That is most certainly an issue at our house, too. We've made a mental list that really needs to be written down list of all the little things that need done. It's gonna take us 5 years just to finish them.
      Ha! I'm pretty sure we'd be getting a note home if he did.
      No, but it was done when I got home from my day of church stuff. Wahoo!
      Legos: best toy ever invented.

      Ha! Unfortunately, our kids aren't all too impressed with penitentiaries. My dad was a cop, my mom worked in one, and my brother lives right next door to one. BUT, I have no doubt you can come up with some great stops.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!