Tuesday, March 31, 2015

It Could Have Been Me, but then We Wouldn't Have Photographic Evidence

I laugh a lot, and I laugh loudly.

I inherited this from my mother.

Actually, I've inherited lots of things from my mom.

We have a similar sense of fun and adventure.

My nickname in high school was Spaz, so it's pretty safe to say I got her excitability.

We don't hold grudges.

We can talk to just about anyone at anytime.

Fortunately, I also inherited her ability to laugh at herself.

And by that, I mean both, I can laugh at myself, AND I can laugh at her, too.

Take, for instance, our trip to Stone Mountain.

It was a rainy day, and at the top of the mountain, we were basically in the clouds...


with no view to speak of.

At one point, there was a small break in the clouds and we could actually see the ground. My mom whipped out her phone to get a photo, but her camera was flipped to the selfie-taking side.

And out came her wonderfully excitable personality.

She wanted a photo, but time was running out, as the clouds were moving fast. She began to panic, and in her panic couldn't figure out how to turn the view around.

So she did exactly what I would have done in the same situation. She screamed.

"TURN IT AROUND!!! TURN IT AROUND!!! TURN IT AROUND!!! IT WILL ONLY TAKE A SELFIE!! TURN IT AROUND!!!"

For what seemed like 5 minutes but was really, probably only 2.

Me being me, I couldn't help myself.

I had to take a photo.




Notice, the kids are so used to my mom's and my craziness, that they didn't even stop to see what all the commotion was about. They simply waited for me to tell them later.

She did finally get the camera turned around, but not before the clouds moved back into place.

She missed the view entirely, but we gained a line that we have used ever since. It's amazing how often the line "TURN IT AROUND! TURN IT AROUND!" can be used in general, normal conversation.

Now, I'm not entirely mean. Before I snapped the photo of her, I took a photo of the view she was all excited to capture.



Impressive, no?

No.

Almost a week later, once we were back at my mom's house in Kentucky, she told us about her creepy Google+ feature that automatically takes photos and videos from her camera, plots the places we've been, and makes a slide show with maps and everything. I got past my wariness of it when we found this gem on the most recent slide show. It seems that a few minutes before the TURN IT AROUND fiasco, she had wanted to take a photo of one of the boys.

She had some difficulties.


And all of our questions were answered.

NOTE: My mom has given permission for me to post this. In fact, she is the one who sent the video to me when I asked. 

Alrighty, this is my last post before the big A-Z Challenge begins. I have a theme, but I'll be kind of loose with it. If something comes up that I want to talk about, I'll scrap the theme for the day and somehow work in my story with that particular day's letter.

Have a lovely day!

17 comments:

  1. Ha...that could have been me too. I've been known to freak out and scream about stuff like that. Frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More and more evidence to suggest we are identical twins. :)

      Delete
  2. At least the two of you have fun. That's the most important part.

    I'll be following your A to Z Challenge. Too much work for me, but I do enjoy reading other folks' posts.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do. Always. I am so grateful for it.

      I look forward to you sharing your wisdom in the comments!

      Delete
  3. Your family has the same kind of fun mine does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom is my rock - it is great that you vacation with your mom each year, the day sounded great, your picture is beautiful. and the kids in the background are typical - my kids do the same - because at any given moment me and my mom can burst into laughter - tears rolling down the face - try not to ahem yourself laughing and then I get questions like mom why were you laughing so hard with grandma; what was so funny and I say grandma- :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't live in the same state as any of our relatives, but I want the kids to know them. They love her completely, and these vacations have done a lot to ensure it.

      Delete
  5. Our families would get along great. My family is known for laughing so hard when someone else in the family falls down that we have trouble pulling ourselves together to see if said person is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandma (my dad's mom) would always say, "That picks up sound, too, not just pictures!" every time a video camera was near. As a result, my wedding video is punctuated with my grandma warning everyone to be quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!!! That is fabulous. And I know you treasure that video.

      Delete
  7. Christine, this was so good Im going to copy it and give it to one of the parents Im working with today. Everyone worries at times worries about snapping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christine, this was so good Im going to copy it and give it to one of the parents Im working with today. Everyone worries at times worries about snapping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you go from being unable to comment to commenting twice...One of these days we'll get this figured out. I hope. :)

      I'm glad something I wrote can be helpful to someone.

      Delete
  9. I LOVE that your mom has an iPhone!!! My mom has a landline. That is all.

    Great video and why is it that I somehow knew your laugh would sound like that!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!