Thursday, December 31, 2015

Photo Blogging Challenge - Holidays!

Thank you, PJ, for the easy theme this busy month!

 Around here, we start the holiday season with Advent. And when Mom forgets to get new purple candles for the wreath, we are grateful for the kindergarten teacher who made paper wreaths with her class to use at home. It worked just fine for our Advent meals and prayers. But I will be sure to buy candles before next year.




When you let the youngest two people in the house put the ornaments on the tree without adult supervision...




We don't do the elf on the shelf around here. I just don't like the entire premise of it. Plus, it's creepy looking. For a few years now, we've had three wise men wandering the house looking for Jesus. Each morning the little kids get up and immediately start looking for them. Come the Epiphany, they will wake to see that the Wise Men are gazing upon the baby Jesus in the manger.



Apparently, they need some coffee to help them continue in their long journey.

Christmas morning comes, presents are opened, and for many days we have loads of time to relax and enjoy the new toys and games and other gifts we've been given.


Never would have guessed that a Crayola animation kit could be fun. It's way niftier than I thought. Grandma made a good choice with this gift.

What would the holidays be without traditions? For several years now, Bryan has taken Buttercup and two of her friends to make gingerbread houses and have lunch downtown. And every time, I have to beat the boys off it before they eat the decorations.




And so ends another year of blogging. Another year of sharing stories and getting to know all of you better. Thank you for reading. Thank you for the encouragement. Thank you for being my friends.

I can't wait to see what 2016 has in store for us!

If you have 5 photos you've taken in December that would go with the theme of "Holidays", throw them into a post and link it up over at A 'lil Hoohaa. If you want notice as to the coming themes, you can also join the Facebook group here.

Happy New Year!

Be safe if you leave the house tonight!

Have a lovely day.

20 comments:

  1. Love the use of your 3 wise men! That's super great - and much less creepy than an elf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys love the wise men thing, and I love that it's more in line with what we want the focus to be at this time of year. I got the idea from another blogger several years ago.

      Delete
  2. I've enjoyed reading your posts and following your family this year. I'm looking forward to doing the same next year.

    Have a happy, healthy and prosperous new year. See you next year. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed getting to know you, too, vicariously living the boat life with you. :)

      All the best to you in the coming year!

      Delete
  3. I like your photos of your family Christmas time. I like the fact that you all have fun, even if sometimes things don't go according to plan...I can see your humour in your images, especially the last one. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's taken me a while, but I've finally realized that laughing at the mishaps is way better than crying about them.

      Delete
  4. I love that second photo - no words needed, it's self-explanatory.

    A very happy and healthy New Year to you and all your family, and here's to another twelve months of blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a thought but what is the elf on a shelf? I've never heard of that before.

      Delete
    2. Thank you!

      To another 12 months full of marvelous camping adventures for you!

      Go here to see what the elf thing is all about... http://www.elfontheshelf.com/

      Delete
  5. Great photos! I love photos that tell a story, and yours do, I think the tree especially! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That means a lot coming from a great photographer like you!

      Delete
  6. Love the gingerbread man photo! Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy new year... the three wise men is a wonderful idea... i am not a fan of the elf on a shelf either...great pics they told the story beautifully! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the elf on the shelf idea on another bloggers site a few years ago and jumped right on it.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Advent is such an overlooked time of year. I'm seriously thinking about shifting focus front the main event to the preparation next year. We have done the elf, but she is more of a fun addition. I love your wise men search idea. Brilliant. And that last shot is simply priceless!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy to lose Advent in all the hussle leading up to Christmas. I can't say I'm great at it, but I try really hard to make sure we keep it in the forefront of our minds.
      I wish I could claim the wise men idea, but I got it from another blogger several years ago. I agree, it is brilliant!
      Thank you. It's one of my favorites, too. :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful family traditions. We have cultivated a few over the years and I look forward to seeing which of them our boys continue in some form or another, and which new traditions they create with their own families. Wishing you and yours all the best in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year Christine!!! The 3 Wise Men photo gave me a good giggle this morning. :D I so enjoy reading about your family's adventures. You inspire me.

    All the Best to your family! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, the gingerbread house photo takes the cake. That is an awesome image. Love it. As for the three wisemen... think they are going to find who they are looking for on a Keurig? I guess they might need some coffee? :D Good work on the theme for December!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!