Just say, 'Thanks, Mom, for making my breakfast."
Teaching kids to be thankful ain't easy, especially during weeks when they are cranky. There's been some cranky this week, which means crying and whining and hollering about "that's not enough syrup!" and a child being banished from the kitchen for a while.
Despite the crankiness taking over our house this week, and the difficulty some of the kids have had being grateful, I have been working hard at keeping track of things for which to be thankful. You know, so I can be a good example for the minions.
1. I am thankful for icicles. They're just plain beautiful.
2. I am thankful for thoughtful people. A friend surprised me at pick-up one day with a sweet card and a bag of M&Ms. Her thoughtfulness made dealing with the crabby kids just a bit easier.
3. I am thankful for the
Even COW is getting into getting the wise men set up these days.
|Perhaps the barnyard animals will know where Jesus is.|
4. I am thankful for my mom. She came up to help us this weekend, so the kids didn't have to spend almost the entire weekend alone while COW and I go galavanting all around town. The kids love it when she visits, and not just because she brings her iPad.
5. I am thankful that the Christmas cards are ready to go in the mailbox. I spend a lot of time on these cards every year. As I hand-write an address, a little (or long) note to the family, and sign it with all of our names, I think about and pray for the person to whom I'm writing. The recipient may not know it, but it is kind of like my little gift to my family and friends each year. I certainly couldn't buy gifts for all 80 families I send them to.
6. I am thankful for tree decorating excitement. The kids get so excited to put the ornaments on the tree each year, waiting in line to see which ornament will get unwrapped and handed out next. Cuckoo was exceptionally happy about it this year.
7. I am thankful for my ability to overlook the "not perfectness" of ornament placement.
8. I am thankful for the temperatures being just a tiny bit warmer, so we had rain instead of snow today, making the snow we had perfect for snowman and snowball making.
9. I am thankful for eggs. People, we are getting eggs! Up to 9 each day! Sure, that means only a third of the girls are laying, but I'm not having to buy eggs anymore. It is especially fun when chickens first start laying eggs, as their bodies don't quite have it down yet. We get lots of weird things. Lots of double yolks, for example. The most interesting are the ones without shells.
|This was a day or so after we found it in the coop. When fresh, it is nice and full and round. It starts losing air immediately, though, and the membrane gets dry and brittle.|
11. I almost forgot! I am thankful for my and my dental hygienist's sense of humor. While I got my teeth cleaned, I let Cuckoo play Angry Birds on my phone. At one point, he got really quiet. At a break in the cleaning, I looked up to ask him what he was doing. He replied, "I'm taking pictures!"
Who doesn't want a photo of herself getting her teeth cleaned?
A bit of business...
This will be the last 10 Things of Thankful link-up for 2013. We're taking a break from the hop for 2 weeks, so everyone can do what they need to do for the holidays. WE WILL BE BACK ON JANURARY 4!!! Mark your calendar.
Although, my hiatus is basically over, so I'll still be posting through the three weeks. I'll remind you.
Have a lovely day!
A Fly on our (Chicken Coop) Wall, Considerings, Finding Ninee, Getting Literal, Home On Deranged, I can say mama, I Want Backsies, Rewritten, Thankful Me, The Wakefield Doctrine