Thursday, February 10, 2011

Only One More Day

I love our 150 year old house.  There are so many original details that you sometimes feel that you have stepped into the year 1870.  That is especially true in the winter.  Have mercy, it is cold in this house!
All of the kids have space heaters in their rooms to take the edge out of the chill, but we don't leave them on overnight.  My daughter came down for breakfast and proclaimed, "It is 57 degrees in my room."  I did not need to know that. I know I'm cold.  I don't need to know just how cold.  All I can say is, thank heavens we finally redid the bathrooms.  For the first five years in this house, we went without showers.  Tubs only for this family.  The only difference between us and the owners of 1870 is that we didn't have to first heat the water on the fire.  You have no idea what cold is until you have to take a bath in a room that is only 57 degrees.  For five winters, we were stinky, dirty people.   There was no way I was putting myself through that torture every single day.  I certainly couldn't make my babies do it.
Back to the clean, showered present.  Sitting in the living room, watching the beautiful sun rays coming through the window, it was very obvious that I had not cleaned our glass cabinet in a loooong time.  Let's be honest.  I've never cleaned the glass on the glass cabinet.  Today was the day.  Examining my lovely clean cabinet, I noticed the front door could use a cleaning, too.  I cleaned the door with no problems, but then I went to clean the inside of the storm door.  I went to wipe it, and the cleaner had actually frozen.  It was only ten seconds between spraying and wiping.  That, my friends, is cold.  I spent 10 minutes scraping the window, and it still isn't all off.   So now I have the dirt and grime from my dogs and kids covered with frozen glass cleaner.  Great look.
But relief is coming!  Today is the last day of this arctic weather.  How sad that I am so excited about 35 degrees, but that is the case.  We are all heading outside to play in the mud on Saturday and Sunday.  Then, and only then, will I clean the front door.

1 comment:

  1. How nice to see that Moose and his Moosetache is a family fave.
    The Moose family is smiling.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!