Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Making kids feel special

As parents, we all want our kids to feel loved.  With six kids, we are always trying to make sure the children know that we see them as individuals, that they are each special to us in their own ways, and that we love them each completely.  It's not always easy, but we feel it is important to do.   Our 10 year old will be turning 11 very soon, and I've managed to plan a big surprise to show her that we're listening and we love her.  First, a little back story.

In the days when we only had two children, I was new to town and didn't really know many people.  I would take walks in the neighborhood, hoping to run across someone with kids.  One day, such a thing happened.  The family was playing in the front yard with their dog, and our oldest wanted to pet the dog.  We began a conversation, and a friendship was born. 
This family had two children as well, and they happened to be within a few months of each of my children.  It came to the point where we would spend at least 3 days of the week together.   We would go to parks, library programs, museums, and many other "field trips", including a day at the airport once.  Many times we would still be together when the husbands came home from work.  We decided to just start having dinner together.  Thursday nights were set aside for it.  Over the next 8 years, we got together every single Thursday for dinner.  We both ended up having more kids, and all eight played beautifully together, even though I had boys and they had all girls.  We really became one family with two moms and two dads.  And then some bad news.

Our friends were moving away.  The father's office was closing and moving him two hours away.  We were all very sad, but decided to have one last Thursday together, from breakfast on.  It was a beautiful day at the farm, and we all had a great time.  We took lots of pictures and made books to remember our fun day.
Our friends left the next day, and busy lives have gotten in the way of us getting together much.

Jump back to the present.  Our daughter has told us that she doesn't want any presents for her birthday.  She just wants to spend a day with her friend that moved away.  I told her I would try, but couldn't promise anything.  Well, is she going to have a surprise!  My friend and I have been able to put together a plan.  We're going to meet halfway to make a switch during the day.  Luckily they homeschool and can do this! When I get to school to pick the kids up on Friday, my daughter's best friend will be in the van waiting for her.  They will have until Saturday night to play and enjoy themselves like the old days.  I can't wait to see her face!  I only got the logistics worked out yesterday, but I've already almost slipped three times.  Goodness, I hope I can keep my mouth shut for just two more days!


I'll let you know how it all turns out!  In the meantime, tell me what you've done for your children.  I always need some more ideas!

Have a lovely day!

3 comments:

  1. I love your idea and hope it goes just as planned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post reminded of the hoop-lah I made several years ago over my oldest son's birthday. I think I actually posted twice about things I did. All in fun, of course! Here's a link if you'd like to see. :) If I've done it right, it will be the top two posts in the grouping.

    http://raisethemup.blogspot.com/search?q=hoop

    Enjoy this warm weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! There is no hoop-lah like a bus load of cheering kids!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!