Sunday, November 22, 2015

Forty-Four Years of Being on the Right Side of the Grass, TToT Week 127

It was a good week for a birthday.

One good thing about Facebook is it lets everyone know about upcoming birthdays. The many, many birthday messages I received made it a happy day online! (Even better when a friend writes a post all about birthdays and includes me!)

So, my thankful list this week has some mentions of my birthday, but there's more. Lots more!

1. All of the paperwork and background checks have finally been completed, so I was able to volunteer at a local public school twice this week. As I've mentioned before, the southside of Indianapolis has one of the largest, if not the largest, populations of Burmese refugees in the country. More than half the students in this particular school have parents who don't speak English, so I go in and simply chat and read with some students who are having trouble learning to read and write. It is exactly the type of thing I want to do with my time.

2.  I am thankful to live so close to a growing, popular big city. We live in the boonies, so we get to enjoy the peace and quiet of nature, but close enough to the city that we can take advantage of all the things going on there.

3. Things like national gatherings... Buttercup was able to attend the National Catholic Youth Conference. 25,000 teenagers from around the country (even from Hawaii!) descend on Indy every two years. It's a heck of a lot cheaper for kids from Indy, seeing as how they don't have to fly or stay in a hotel. They don't lose out on the experience, though. Instead of coming home to sleep, our parish's kids and chaperons camp out in the gym of the high school.

4. There are lots and lots of restaurants from which to choose on those rare occasions that Bryan and I get to go out. Last night we enjoyed a meal at an 80 year old Italian restaurant downtown.

5.The opportunities to be entertained are plentiful. For my birthday (yesterday!) Bryan and I went to see Martin Short and Steve Martin perform. We laughed and laughed throughout the show.

6. On Friday, I had a nice, long 2 hour lunch with Kris. (Remember Mrs. Always Random??) She and I have birthdays within a week of each other, so we try to get together to celebrate each year. This year all the celebrating we could swing was lunch and some chocolate chip cookies, but it was so nice to visit with her and the sweet little boy her family fosters.

7. The weather was great, until it wasn't. The beginning of the week was lovely, but by the end of the week, there was some nasty, cold rain coming down. I didn't have anywhere to go until school pickup on the worst day, so I stayed home under my blanket.

8. Bad weather means I can get stuff done in the house, but I hate to clean, so I spent the time catching up on printing photos. I have spent hours and hours and hours going through the photos on my computer, choosing the ones I want printed, and downloading them to the photo site to print. I have gotten all of 2012, half of 2013, half of 2015, and all of our vacations since 2012 done. Now to get them into albums...

9. I spent all of those hours getting as many printed as I could, because I had a 40 percent off coupon that expired yesterday. When one is printing almost 1,000 photos, one could really use that 40 percent off. To help, there was a mix-up with one of the orders, so the clerk gave me an extra $10 off, and another clerk gave me a $5 off coupon. I'm getting these suckers done for a bargain!

10. The first snow of the year was on my birthday.



Normally, I'd complain about such a thing, but the flakes yesterday were beautiful through the window.



Cuckoo was ridiculously happy about the snow. He had his snowpants and boots on before the flakes were even hitting the ground.

Notice, no gloves

But that simply meant he was ready when the snow really started coming down.

Now notice, one glove. His hands were getting cold, but he has a teeny, tiny boo-boo on one finger. Guess which hand. :)



And best of all, it all melted before Bryan and I left for our evening out. If it was going to snow, at least it was the best kind of snow.

So, how was your week? Did you get any snow in your neck of the woods?

Have a lovely day!




Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

42 comments:

  1. ♪♪Happy Birthday to you,♪♪
    ♪♪Happy Birthday to you,♪♪
    ♪♪Happy Birthday Dear Christine,♪♪
    ♪♪Happy Birthday to you.♪♪

    You have such a fun life. You really do.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, I hope you have - or had - a great day.

    Love the snowy pictures, especially the first one.

    Please enlighten me about the boo-boo on Cuckoo's finger, I've never heard that expression before.

    Our weather has been pants here just recently - ten days of almost constant rain, so heavy at times that many of the drains couldn't cope and several local roads were flooded in places. The national papers on Friday said we were in for a big freeze this weekend once the rain stopped, but although the temperature has dropped from mild to chilly it's not that bad and today has been lovely and sunny so I've finally been able to take the dogs out for a proper walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a perfect day.

      Sorry about that! A boo-boo is the word many kids here in the US use to describe an injury. It could be something minor, like a cut or splinter or anything that can be fixed with a kiss from mom, or a major gash requiring stitches. Cuckoo's was a tiny injury, so small I'd almost call it imaginary. :)

      I'm glad you and the dogs were able to get out for a good walk after all that rain. We've had rain like that, and it is no fun at all.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for explaining about the boo-boo - now I know what to call the minute splinter I've had stuck in my thumb for the last couple of weeks :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday!

    I'm not much of a fan of snow, but that wet first snow on evergreens is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      It is pretty, and as long as I don't have to go out in it, I don't mind it at all. :)

      Delete
  4. We've had our first snow as well! The girls were excited, Calvin was positively puzzles :-) Wow, it seems quite a hassle to be allowed to volunteer; kudos to you for going for it anyways! Enjoy your week, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm happy for the girls. :)

      As for the hassle, that's how things are these days. When a complete stranger comes in wanting to work with the kids, there has to be some tape to go through. It's all good now, and I'll be able to help plenty.

      Same to you, Stephanie.

      Delete
  5. The snow pics are indeed lovely - - what a beautiful thing for your birthday (and the melting so as not to spoil the evening out)!
    I love hearing about your volunteer opportunity. Such a great thing. Isn't it amazing how much paperwork is necessary to volunteer anymore???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since it did melt, I'm not going to begrudge the snow lovers. :)

      There are a few hoops, but I'm ok with it. I want the same thing done to any stranger coming in to work with kids at our school.

      Delete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! xo doug...not the fb fibber ...ivy

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! xo doug...not the fb fibber ...ivy

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had the threat of snow on the weather and I shivered and shuddered and hoped against hope that it would come to naught. So far so good. I'm SO glad you got to spend the day wrapped up in a blanket, chilling out and getting photos organised. That's a lovely way to spend time.

    YAY YOU for getting your clearance. I love that you've so quickly stepped back into doing things and supporting kids in your community. Hope it all goes really well and develops into something beautiful as time goes by.

    And again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! So glad you got to spend a lovely time with Bryan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the snow has held off. I hope it not only doesn't snow, but doesn't precipitate on you at all.

      I have heard that I am now the best friend of one of the kids I worked with last week. Yeah, I'm gonna have some fun. :)

      Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday!

    Snow is always so much more beautiful when you don't have to go out in it. What a joy to be able to watch Cuckoo enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I will not begrudge the boy his snow as long as I don't have to shovel it. :)

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday, Christine. The first snow is always magical and beautiful. And to melt by dinner is really something to be thankful for. What a happy week, and what a wonderful volunteer experience. I've wanted to organize photos for years. After you choose the ones you want to print and put them in albums, do you delete the others? I don't know if I could. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I have an incredibly hard time deleting photos. So I don't until I have to. Despite the fact my phone photos are all on my computer and most are now printed, I STILL can't bring myself to delete most of the 2400 photos. Yes, I have 2400 on my phone.

      Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  11. You got REAL snow! We got a little dusting early Saturday morning. When I left the house around 9:00 a.m.,there was only a little skiff of it on the back window of the car. Too early! Go away, snow!
    I know some people who went to NCYC, but I didn't realize it was in Indy. I should have hitched a ride with them.
    Your volunteer job sounds really interesting! You may learn more from them than they learn from you. I know I don't know much about Burma, except that my grandpa flew over it in WWII and it was terribly dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did. It is mighty early for my taste.

      You do?!?! Ack! Did they enjoy themselves?

      It is fun, and I have no doubt I'll be learning plenty while working with them. I don't know much, either, but it is still a dangerous place.

      Delete
  12. Our first real snowfall was last night. I loved waking up to it and feeling it lining the railing of my back deck.
    :-)
    I love Italian food. Happy Birthday and glad to hear someone is still getting actual photos made up, with all this digital stuff.
    Have a good week. I bet that show was funny. Two talented and hilarious men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've decided not to begrudge any of you snow people as long as the snow melts quickly and i don't have to shovel it. :)

      Italian food is delicious.

      Thank you! I am old school. Prints are my favorite way of keeping them. And the kids love looking through them. We'll see what they have to say when they are adults and each inherits 100 pounds of photo albums. :)

      Delete
  13. Happy belated birthday!! We live in Southwest Michigan so we got about 7 inches tota of snowl. It stuck to the tree branches and was absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      7 inches!!! While I'm sure it was beautiful, I would have been doing some serious pouting about that much snow. :)

      Delete
  14. happy birthday - wonderful Thankfuls for you and your family...have a wonderful week and Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

      Delete
  15. Happy birthday..I forgot to link up!! Here is my link anyway. http://thewainsateam.blogspot.ca/2015/11/friday-thingsttot.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday! The mountains nearby got some snow earlier this week, but it has melted now. I meant to get a picture, but got busy and forgot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You have the best of both worlds. You can SEE the snow, but you don't have to live IN the snow. :)

      Delete
  17. no, thank god, no snow here (coastal RI)… maybe there's going to be an el Piñata this winter which will have all the snow pile up in the non-New England parts of the country! Hey, you guys live in 'the land of pool table flat roads with nothing but 90 degree turns with stoplights and such,' so you probably laugh at the snow
    happy B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy for you and your snowlessness. :) Hey! Don't you be wishing the snow on us!

      Thanks. :)

      Delete
  18. Happy birthday! I've seen some snow this week. It's fine, except while I'm trying to drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Oh, driving in it is the worst. Not because I don't know how to drive in it, but because so many other people are horrible drivers. :)

      Delete
  19. Happy Birthday! Eating at an 80-year-old restaurant sounds fun. We are getting snow down to the 1500' level now which doesn't include our place yet. I'm waiting for a while before venturing out this morning, because a few miles to the north they had forecast black ice, and from the looks of things here, I'm pretty sure our hilly roads are slick. That is a beautiful photo of the snow on the flower. That is wonderful that you are helping out with teaching English to some of the children of refugees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Yikes! Good choice. That black ice is dangerous!
      I've been having fun working with the kids. Pretty sure I'm getting as much out of it as they are.

      Delete
  20. Happy belated birthday! Don't know if we were friends yet on FB but I missed seeing the notification. So not sure do you cover up a boo boo with a glove so the snow won't touch it or do you not cover up a boo boo so the glove won't touch it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think we befriended each other the day of or the day after, so no notifications for you. :)

      You don't cover the boo boo, because touching the boo boo is a pain worse than childbirth. So I hear. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!