It was a difficult week.
Fortunately, there were some things to help keep my spirits up. How 'bout I share...oh, I don't know...ten of them? I'm telling you, if you've never made a list of the things for which you are thankful, you need to try it. Sour moods are sweetened each and every week.
1. We all made it through the first week of school. It was a long week, but everyone managed to keep up with homework, do well on quizzes, and get to bed at a decent hour.
2. With the start of school comes our Friday after school tradition. Love me some half-price milkshakes!
3. Cuckoo and I have spent a whole lot of time by ourselves this week, since his preschool doesn't start until after Labor Day. On Thursday, I took him to the Indiana State Fair. It wasn't quite the same without the big kids.
|Every year we take a photo of the kids in front of this barn. I was a bit sad when we took it this year.|
|see the world's biggest cheese sculpture,|
|eat gigantic bowls of ice cream for lunch (The dairy bar rocks! All that ice cream for $3! All day, every day!)|
|and see lots of animals.|
|Yup. That's our duck.|
|This is from the heat we won. After this race, we were in the finals...|
|which we also won. Cuckoo walked away with the grand prize of a duck call and a duck hat.|
4. I am really thankful that the woman I threw my phone at and asked to take photos of us during the duck race was kind enough to look past my boldness and honest enough to not take off with it.
5. While it makes me nervous about what winter will bring, I have been enjoying the perfect weather we've been having lately. Sunshine and open windows make me happy. Cooler temperatures make my soccer players happy.
6. I get overly giddy when we have a meal made mostly with ingredients from our own property. This week, I made stuffed peppers with ground pork from our pigs and onions, zucchini, and peppers from our garden. They were delicious!
7. Speaking of produce, I've been getting the abundance of zucchini used up. Zucchini bread is being made, I have 12 cups of zucchini in the freezer, and I've sweetened up my physical therapist with gifts of vegetables in hopes she won't use that blasted scraper thing on the back of my leg ever again.
8. Last weekend, Buttercup and Phoenix spent hours and hours cleaning their rooms and organizing their drawers and closets. Shockingly, Buttercup has kept her room spotless all week long. I can't stress enough how huge this is. The state of her room is really the only thing we ever argue about. With a clean room, we can both breathe easier.
9. I've finally found some guys who can get some stuff done around here. All 4 of the broken windows on the main floor have been fixed. We also had an electrician out here to fix a burned up outlet and go through all of the other things that need fixed around here. We now know what is wrong and what needs to be done. Mostly, though, I'm just glad to hear that the wiring is fine and I don't have to worry about the house burning down around us.
10. I'm thankful for funny people who like to make people laugh. Kelly from This Ain't the Lyceum started a lip sync battle based on the ones Jimmy Fallon does on his show. She made a video, then challenged her readers to make their own. Star suggested I do one with the Cups song. So I did. I just wish I didn't have a bum knee. A good dancing song would have put me in the winner's circle for sure, and I bet the prize is going to be better than a duck hat.
Alrighty, that's it for me. What has turned your frown upside down this week?
Have a lovely day!
A Fly on our (Chicken Coop) Wall, Amycake and the Dude, Considerings, Finding Ninee, Getting Literal, I Want Backsies, Mother of Imperfection, Rewritten, Thankful Me, The Wakefield Doctrine
Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group