Monday, January 24, 2011

Coyote Hunting

This past year we have had a terrible coyote problem.  They killed all of our chickens and one of our pigs.  We had no idea what to do about them until someone at church told us about the hobby of a mutual friend.  Who knew that people were actual coyote hunters?  I asked the mutual friend about his hobby, and he got very excited to have a new place to hunt.  On Friday, he and his brother, an aspiring hunter, came to the farm.  Despite the 10 degree weather, they came with their gear and set up in our back field.  They had told me not to worry about tying up the dogs, so I didn't.  I decided that was a mistake when I saw the dogs go flying past the front window.  Apparantly, they are also drawn by the horrible sound of a screeching, injured animal call that coyote hunters use this time of year.  (Different seasons have different calls.  In the winter, coyotes are hungry.)  Fortunately, the dogs have finally learned to listen and came to a halt when I whistled. 
Unfortunately, the coyotes weren't falling for that trick that day.  There were lots of tracks in the snow, which had only fallen two days prior, so my hunter friends will be out to try again another day. 
Oh, and in case you're wondering what they do with the dead coyotes, I asked.  He keeps the pelts in his garage, and is threating his wife with the idea of making them into a quilt.  Next time I see his wife, I'll suggest a nice warm coyote coat to wear while he hunts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!