The previous owners of our house were...what's a nice way to say it?... creative (?) in their home improvements.
Their handiwork has been baffling professionals for a decade now.
The 4 layers of shingles on the roof of the house.
The two air conditioning units connected to one furnace that could not handle the load.
The cover on the porch, which was actually built around the old one, gutter and all.
The windows that were installed improperly, causing the windows and the siding to rot all around the back of the house.
And we aren't even blaming them for the now-illegal septic system that was on no government records and couldn't be found by two different septic companies. (Ended up, the tank drained through a single pipe right out into the corn field behind our house.)
This time, though, I'm pretty ticked.
We're lucky to be alive.
This is a terrible photo of the "fireplace" in the family room.
We've been wanting to see if we could get a gas insert, but it has been on the bottom of our to-do list.
Well, a couple of months ago, the mirror started crackling.
Odd, but nothing we were overly concerned about. Most old mirrors we've ever seen are crackled.
Two weeks ago, Bryan noticed that the tile-looking thing, which is actually just a thin piece of board, was warm.
That got our hackles up.
The chimney inspector came out today.
The moment he took the board off and stuck his head in the chimney, he knew something was wrong.
It should not be warm air.
I'll cut to the chase.
The chimney guy discovered that our water heater vents into the chimney, and the chimney has insulation stuffed into it, blocking any venting of the fumes.
Carbon Monoxide has been pouring into our house for an entire decade.
The only reason we haven't died is because the house has large, really drafty rooms.
I've never been grateful for cold, bitter wind blowing into our house until this very day.
The insulation has been pulled out, so the gases can now exit through the chimney top.
It's still not perfectly safe, though.
The chimney guy will be gathering supplies to properly line and vent the water heater.
This chimney guy has been in this business for over 25 years. He's a nice, honest guy who lives on a farm and raises dairy goats with his wife.
He has seen people improperly venting things through their chimneys before, but he's never seen anything this bad before.
How much has this affected us???
Are Bryan's and Buttercup's headaches symptoms of a decade's worth of carbon monoxide poisoning???
It's making me question every single health problem we've had over the years!
I just can't wrap my head around it.
It makes me want to say some very bad words.
I wonder how we'll be feeling once this is all taken care of and we're breathing non-carbon monoxide laced air.
Of course, as anyone who hears that there is a lice outbreak at school knows, the power of suggestion is real.
I've been feeling sick to my stomach and fighting a mild headache all day.
I'm just at a loss.
How do people do things like this?!?!
In the end, though, I'm just glad it was found. I'm glad we are OK. I'm glad it can be fixed without too much trouble.
I'm glad it's not worse.
And I wonder, why in the world haven't I slept a whole lot better than I have these past 10 years??
I'll keep you posted.
Have a lovely day.